Bryce Nicely

Tamiya A-1J Skyraider "Sock it to 'Em" - 1/48

Hey all! Guess I'll pop the critique forum cherry with my recently finished A-1J from Tamiya.  It is mostly out of the box, with exception to the resin ejection seat boot from Quickboost and some scratch building in the cockpit and antenna.  She's finished with Gunze and Mr. Paint paints and weathered with AMMO products and artist oils.  Markings are from the box and surprisingly, went down nicely without a fight.  

I appreciate your comments and critiques, and the rest of the photos, including WIP can be found here.

A

A

A

A

A

A

A

A

Hey all! Guess I'll pop the critique forum cherry with my recently finished A-1J from Tamiya.  It is mostly out of the box, with exception to the resin ejection seat boot from Quickboost and some scratch building in the cockpit and antenna.  She's finished with Gunze and Mr. Paint paints and weathered with AMMO products and artist oils.  Markings are from the box and surprisingly, went down nicely without a fight.  

I appreciate your comments and critiques, and the rest of the photos, including WIP can be found here.

IMG_3240-L.jpg

IMG_3243-L.jpg

IMG_3250-L.jpg

IMG_3252-L.jpg

IMG_3254-L.jpg

IMG_3257-L.jpg

IMG_3258-L.jpg

IMG_3262-L.jpg

• Like 2

Brycely done, Nice. ^_^

Can't find much wrong with that myself, with the possible exception of the weathering on the prop. Judging by the wear on the non slip on the wing roots and the oil leaks and exhaust stains, this airframe has seen some service and the prop doesn't match this. I wouldn't go overboard on chipping the leading edges of the blades as some do, but I'd add a few streaks of dirt chordwise, mainly on the rear faces. It's there that the blades really pick up the dead insects and general grubbiness. Same goes for the wing leading edges really - you've added chipping, I'd augment that with black dots for squashed flies and muck, too.

Other than that, full marks. Nice matt varnish too - what did you use?

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 1

Very nice indeed! I like the restrained weathering. However, as Dean mentioned, the prop stands out as looking brand new and shiny, and so do the bombs I think. Chipping of the former, and some pastels on the latter, and Bob's your uncle.

Jens

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dean Large said:

Can't find much wrong with that myself, with the possible exception of the weathering on the prop. Judging by the wear on the non slip on the wing roots and the oil leaks and exhaust stains, this airframe has seen some service and the prop doesn't match this. I wouldn't go overboard on chipping the leading edges of the blades as some do, but I'd add a few streaks of dirt chordwise, mainly on the rear faces. It's there that the blades really pick up the dead insects and general grubbiness. Same goes for the wing leading edges really - you've added chipping, I'd augment that with black dots for squashed flies and muck, too.

Thanks, Dean.  I actually meant to add some streaking to it and forgot about it.  Chipping-wise, judging by some other Skyraider photos, it didn't seem like they chipped up much.  But streaking is definitely needed.  Also, the matte coat is Testors Dullcoat Lacquer through the airbrush.

3 hours ago, Jens Jensen said:

Very nice indeed! I like the restrained weathering. However, as Dean mentioned, the prop stands out as looking brand new and shiny, and so do the bombs I think. Chipping of the former, and some pastels on the latter, and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks to you as well, Jens.  Didn't think about adding much to the bombs but that's a good idea.  I also thought about adding some graffiti to it and just didn't do it.

Edited by Bryce Nicely

I agree with the others - a bit more weathering, or at least applied to more areas might be an improvement. I wonder if the exhaust staining could benefit from some lighter grey or brown areas too? Not that I can do exhaust stains very well myself, just a thought.

Either way it's a beautiful model, I'd be happy to have it in my collection.

• Like 1

I would say that the centerline fuel tank could stand some more weathering.  A former Skyraider pilot stated that if the engine wasn't leaking oil, he wasn't flying the aircraft, because, the aircraft was obviously out of oil if there were no leaks.  Other than that comment, a well done job to be proud of, Joel Smith.

• Like 1

Lovely build! Skyraiders are tough as you can either go overboard or not far enough. I wont beat the drum of the others above though. I think all you need to do is give the weapons a bit more of a stored look as well as a bit more of a weather job underneath. These airplanes got dirty, especially underneath due to the conditions that they operated in.

All in all, I REALLY love this build. It is well assembled, the paint is spot on and I dig the oil streaks. What did you use for them? It is just brown and oily enough. This is a model I would be proud to have in my display case.

On another note, your photography is brilliant! Can you enlighten on your camera settings and lighting?

Cheers!

Mike

8 hours ago, Mike Reeves said:

Lovely build! Skyraiders are tough as you can either go overboard or not far enough. I wont beat the drum of the others above though. I think all you need to do is give the weapons a bit more of a stored look as well as a bit more of a weather job underneath. These airplanes got dirty, especially underneath due to the conditions that they operated in.

All in all, I REALLY love this build. It is well assembled, the paint is spot on and I dig the oil streaks. What did you use for them? It is just brown and oily enough. This is a model I would be proud to have in my display case.

On another note, your photography is brilliant! Can you enlighten on your camera settings and lighting?

Thanks, Mike.  You know, I actually struggled with the undersides.  A lot of photos that I looked at seemed pretty subdued underneath, except for the nose area with all the streaking.  So I didn't really want to over do it.  I did try to add some character with oils, but a lot of the look didn't translate onto the camera.

The exhaust streaking was done with the airbrush, and then some brown oil streaking with AMMO Streaking Grime.

As for the camera setup, I have a Canon 60D with just a cheap 28-135mm lens.  I shoot with the aperture as small as I can get to try to keep it all in focus.  The lighting is just 3 can lights with daylight temp bulbs.  I keep two lights on the front corners and one over the top.  I'm really hoping to upgrade my camera/table setup soon, but it's just not in the budget now.

• Like 1

Bryce, overall a great build! You did a nice job on the exhaust streaks which can be very difficult to pull off (I ruined a Tamiya 1H build at that point...). I would tend to agree with the comments above, and would add one thing. This is difficult to achieve, but it takes modeling to a higher level. 

You have decided to model a worn or weathered bird. I agree with those above that its easy to over do it on this aircraft. We've all seen plenty of those Skyraiders. What I see here is some very good localized weathering - like the exhaust stains, for instance, but the rest of the airframe looks rather pristine. The overall look seems inconsistent to me. Yes, there is some restrained chipping, but I would expect to see overall a little more fading and dirt. That would tie together the exhaust stains, chipping, the stains on the fuel tanks etc. It makes the total look of the aircraft more believable (for lack of a better word).

Having seen your other work, I believe you have the skillset to pull this off! Again, great overall job (your paint work is indeed enviable!). 

Regards,

JC 

• Like 1

I agree with previous posters about a terriffic job.  However I have one pet subject - giving the illusion of weight on the tyres.  With such a heavy aircraft and load, the tyres do not convey that impression, and it looks like it's tiptoeing.  The tailwheel I believe was solid rubber, so that wouldn't deform much, but the mainwheels certainly would.  It is possible to fix after finishing your model.  Roll some masking tape around the ends of a pair of tweezers.  Put the model on a level surface and put a largish piece of medium grit sandpaper/wet and dry under one of the wheels.  Grab as low on the wheel as you can with the tweezers but do not force the model down on the sandpaper - use the weight of the model.  Pull the sandpaper away from the model and repeat until you've reached a level of flatness you're happy with.  Then repeat on the other wheel(s).  There will be a small angular difference as you are sanding one wheel and not the other, but that will be small and can be corrected by doing a couple of iterations.

Jens

• Like 2

I don't know much about planes, but that looks awesome to me, the only thing I think is (and as I said I know very little about planes)( and am in nowhere near the league you're obviously in) I think the bombs look fine and see no reason for weathering them at all, I mean aren't they on a one way trip, it's not like they get dropped then refilled is it. 

I think it looks superb.

Edited by Kpnuts