Sign in to follow this  
Che Guava

Klemm 'UP.

.....over from the 'make 'em jealous...' section, my new Klemm L25 purchase.
c2230730-ccc2-45a8-96e9-5c86f1daa5a4.jpg

....built in real time. (Cup of tea first, I think!)

• Like 7

(... and a croissant. Got to keep my strength up for box opening.)

128774c6-708e-488f-8134-3ce7397181ab.jpg

....BIG BOX, little model!

086b6719-30ac-491b-b725-bd531ce2c831.jpg

not many bits, but what there are seem damn fine!

64ed8eb4-e537-4ec0-8f01-baa967f42438.jpg

Everything going to plan so far

(an innovation I've never seen before - the silver on the colour scheme is printed in yer actual metallic silver!)

• Like 5

Painted the interior parts. No matt black so used something dark, while three or four random colours mixed produced a kind of woodish hue for the cockpit insides. Now watching it carefully as it dries.

As my regular follower will attest, I have little regard for the lounge furnishings of model aeroplanes, and none at all for detail that will never be seen again, therefore I might have the fuselage halves together quite quickly so I can get on with the interesting bits.

Ahh! But my chosen subject has a 9-cylinder Salmson radial, rather than the in-line engine of the kit  Also ahh! The kit wheels are little fat things like a Tiger Moth's, whereas my subject has narrow bicycle-type wheels like a Sopwith Camel.

....and so to that cornucopia of Poly Styrene (see, initial caps because that is a girl's name),  that Pandora's box of serendipitous items (I seem to have turned in a music hall announcer).... stuff in the spares box. Found an Avro 504 9-cylinder rotary engine the right diameter and a couple of different but matching wheels that'll do nicely.

• Like 2

1526527-large.jpg

As she was at Prestwick  air show  03/06/72 . The then owner (Duncan Russell?)  had just restored her and it must have been not long after her first flight or even her first flight at the show.

• Like 3

I'm worried about all that vicious horse power he's going to be dealing with........

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Miggers said:

I'm worried about all that vicious horse power he's going to be dealing with........

More Shetland than Clydesdale, I'd reckon.

• Haha 3

Strange sensations of patience and restraint. The old paint I used is taking an age to dry, but rather than my usual impatient bash-on, I'm showing great restraint by fashioning tiny teeny ickle maroon leatherette cushions for the seats. As I said out loud to an empty room, abandoning my usually refined BBC announcer RP for my native Glasgow patois "Crivens an' jings, ah must be aff ma nut." I blame you lot and your effete obsession with scale soft furnishings.

Harnesses and pics to follow as soon as my camera battery light stops blinking.

• Haha 4

On 10/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, RWG686 said:

1526527-large.jpg

As she was at Prestwick  air show  03/06/72 . The then owner (Duncan Russell?)  had just restored her and it must have been not long after her first flight or even her first flight at the show.

Very early ... soon after, it got its registration painted across both wings, pre-war style.

We must have been there. Have you got it logged? And the Zlin at the back ('WGX maybe?) I've got a kit, was going to do 'WAR, but that looks nice in its Player's Gold Leaf colours.

Ok, slight hiatus to plumb in new washing machine (old one had taken to sounding like a taxying B-52).

resized_b5153213-7007-4dd9-b73a-cf39d572

Above, the rotary stand-in for the Salmson radial, and the non-pair of replacement similar wheels.

Below, for those of you who's Saturday is made perfect by a tour of the retail park's half-price sofa emporia, here's the Klemm's upholstery regions just before hiding it all for ever.....

f928245d-9980-44d7-97fa-c62f28b9090d.jpg

63e90fdd-d920-4caf-9091-092c7d84f20d.jpg

....ahh, that's better!

4edd7f7e-22aa-4734-bdeb-cc1e0676f672.jpg

Joint not as bad as it looks, just a slight mismatch that couldn't be filed out.

• Like 4

Wings on, plus subtle additions in plastic card to the front bulkhead (for the radial engine) and the fin top (for the "flatter, squarer*" rudder. They might need some further work yet. 9_9

2d431db1-864d-4edb-821a-2488bac4c470.jpg

(* Anyone remember the'Squarial'? BSB I think)

• Like 3

On 18/10/2020 at 16:29, RWG686 said:

squarial.jpg  A recycled Allegro steering wheel?

We had a bloke at Rist's who had a speech impediment,according to him he drove an Austin Awegwo much to the

amusement of the assembled audience.

So you're modifiying it to  the radial engined version eh Al.(I nearly typed "wadiaw)

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 1

And now, one for the drying-paint spectators...

resized_edc5a07c-7bd0-4547-8940-a06722a0

1st pic: fuselage with modded nose and fin rubbed down smooth for application of.....

2nd pic: ......first coat of yellow (but thinned a little for a smoother finish, but less coverage). Three days later, still waiting for it to dry fully. In desperation, adopted the RWG686 method(TM) of warming it at a fan heater. Despite the colour, everything stayed as straight as a Boris banana and was able to......

3rd pic:  .....apply a second coat. Two days on it's still tacky! One more application should do it though.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Still tacky after 2 days? Whare you using? Non drip gloss? 

'Ee obviously anner stirred it 'nuff then.

42 minutes ago, Miggers said:

'Ee obviously anner stirred it 'nuff then.

Au contraire, amigo....shaken like James Bond's Martini and stirred like Macbeth's witches brew. Had the same bother with the L-39, and a Venom coming soon to a cinema near you (well, an entry on BxM at least). So I was expecting this, if another coat is applied too soon then the whole shebang wrinkles like an old seadog's complexion.

Patience, grasshopper. :coffee:

14 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

Au contraire, amigo....shaken like James Bond's Martini and stirred like Macbeth's witches brew. Had the same bother with the L-39, and a Venom coming soon to a cinema near you (well, an entry on BxM at least). So I was expecting this, if another coat is applied too soon then the whole shebang wrinkles like an old seadog's complexion.

Patience, grasshopper. :coffee:

S'yeller innit,orrible colour to work with.

• Thanks 1

I think my trouble is....

13 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

The obvious solution is to paint a coat of flat white primer and then

5b6e9ec62517a1f1d64e0f4d501be22a.jpg

I've had many useful tips on here, but this is the first felt tip.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

I think my trouble is....

But remember that they had to shoot yeller in the end. No end of trouble from it...

Edited by Jessie_C
tpyo