azureglo

Amusing Hobby 1/48 Triebflugel

With all the bog standard P-51s, Spits ,109s et al that is the lot of the commission builder, I spied this ludicrous aviation pipedream on sale a few weeks back, allegedly with damaged boxes and instructions for £19.99 delivered ( Shamefully I mentioned the other place and got a further £1.00 knocked off:blush:). Mine arrived in a brand new box, with perfect instructions, go figure.

50388411148_fa0a4da055_b.jpg

I rather fancy another excursion into the Man in The High Castle territory after my sweet little Ho 229, the full Alclad with red pinstriped tailband methinks, exactly the kind of daft techno-hubris the rampant Reich would have indulged in, regardless of the terror it would have induced on its hapless pilots.  On to the kit, I know nothing of Amusing Hobby but was surprised to see that most of the parts have these attachment points on the mating surfaces. Not a big deal if you have some of the snazzy single edge sprue cutters but adds a degree of fiddliness and makes sure you do the most work to make the parts fit.

50473520086_4c482c572e_b.jpg

50472817328_110ca00578_b.jpg

After an orgy of cutting, sanding and filling, assembled the airframe for the all important flight test: This looks dull as ditchwater sat on its backside , snout belatedly pointing to heaven: Mine is going to be piloted and howling through the clouds no doubt accompanied by equal screaming from said pilot...

50472818893_0745039d6a_b.jpg

Speaking of pilots, popped this fine fellow in, supplied by the very kind @Walrus & @Miggers.Popped on some Mike Grant instrument decals and Future on to the IP and made some scale levers for the the throttle (?) quadrant which may just be seen after closing up the canopy.

50473531161_1c5116e26d_b.jpg

50473534901_00006f2886_b.jpg

50472837363_85a81b1917_b.jpg

Now time to vacuum my dust bowl of a workbench and prep for closing up  everything.

Nighty night peeps,

A

Edited by azureglo
  • Like 6

Mine arrived without a box and photocopied instructions and I didn't get a reduction because I didn't mention the other place. Robbed. I'm pretty certain it would have been a terrifying ride, this model gives you a clue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Mine arrived without a box and photocopied instructions and I didn't get a reduction because I didn't mention the other place. Robbed. I'm pretty certain it would have been a terrifying ride, this model gives you a clue.

The price of integrity=£1.

As for the Triebflugel it turns there even more wacker aspirations from Heinkel...I'm googling to see if anyone makes a Lerche or Wespe in 1/72 or 48 Pretty sure the French actually built and flew something like this.

Edited by azureglo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Pretty sure they French actually built and flew something like this.

SNECMA Coleoptere. It didn't survive an attempt to transition from vertical to horizontal flight.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paul Brown said:

SNECMA Coleoptere. It didn't survive an attempt to transition from vertical to horizontal flight.

@goon built the Mach2 kit on here somewhere 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

@goon built the Mach2 kit on here somewhere 

A French jet vtol with Mach 2's accomplished mold making...what could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Nice bit of Luft'46 going on here.

Duncan B

You said it and I've got the oven ready already for this one as well

50483386771_c5ffa1e25c_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lovely little Quickboost sight with twin glasses

50483322066_a758eb06c4_b.jpg

Canopy fit a bit dubious at the front but easily solved with vallejo putty/acrylic RLM 66. Armoured glass is Alclad as usual.

50482616773_f21ce6e33e_b.jpg

Got all the sub assemblies primed and sprayed in various shades of Alclad: This kit is not for you if you're not organised and mislay things easily...

50482639373_65686229b9_b.jpg

Main parts primed but as expected lots of minor remedial work needed for the various runner attachment points. Using the last bottle of Alclad grey, funny how it was the best thing back in the day but its no match for the Surfacer 1500, lots of minor runs and still needs 6000 micromesh to smooth it for NMF.

50482639313_8e8af2cae3_b.jpg

Humming along nicely, this has given me the energy to start the Lanc and RF 84 commissions builds that have been on the long finger, also got a request in for BoB 80th duo so it's back to Hurricanes and Spits shortly. Quite fancy doing the Zvezda 1/48 109F as well if I can get one of my regulars interested...

A

Edited by azureglo
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Looking good anil that zvezda 109 is easily as good as the eduard kit 

I hope thats shape wise and not parts count, Eduard kits drive me nuts, no wheels up option, no pilot and a gazzilion microscopic parts that will be invisible when installed. Nice decals though.

• Like 1

A good day or two in the paint shop AS this one is all about testing Alclad shades and is a bit Lego like in that all the parts are dupes and go on last after painting 

Epic windscreen gap

50515614728_bee7bb2871_b.jpg#

Intriguing ramjet engine

50516499432_6f567b3e10_b.jpg

Tail fin gets the full masking treatment even for the pinstripes

50516505277_89099dc430_b.jpg

50516337391_46eb4eb9a3_b.jpg

50516602277_5a19029910_b.jpg

50515716363_9e6474f43c_b.jpg

Masked main markings:

50516359266_5af4cceefa_b.jpg

This is an intriguing kit, with super fine engraved details and surprising lumpy fit...its cheap and fun ( apart from sprue attachments on the mating surfaces) so treat it as that and you won't be disappointed. My aging Alclad grey primer  was disappointing though , the Alclad Airframe aluminium that welds itself on to Surfacer 1500 lifted with the brush of finger tip requiring much stripping and repainting on the wings which was actually very easy as they're pretty flat.  

Not sure how many stencils etc i want to throw at this as its supposed to be a quick build, already sourced some wacky codes from my spares box so maybe it'll looked a bit under dressed without stencils and swathes of aluminium.

Anil

Edited by azureglo
  • Like 3

Finished off the nose & cockpit: lots of paint lift that I haven't seen seen my early days of modelling, easily fixed but even more easily avoided- use the stuff you know works, Mr Surfacer 1500. Daren't risk masking for multicolor metallics so its an all aluminum front for this one

50516293968_314254c173_b.jpg

50517181107_4961d305d0_b.jpg

Decals tomorrow along with a stand and assembly over the weekend, this might mark my return to fleabay, always good to drum up new business

• Like 3

After an epic day of assembly, retouching and even more retouching  its done awaiting gallery beauty shots, Here's a quick preview:

50542825333_f14fd97b67_h.jpg

• Like 4