Jump to content
Site Admin

Make 'em jealous! What did you just get?

Recommended Posts

So my son was working until 5 and I finish at 4, but luckily we have the Atlantic Canada Museum right on my work doorstep so I thought I'd have a quick bimble through the shop which just happens to be the best stocked used model kit shop in the whole of Atlantic Canada! No intention to buy anything just wanted to have a good nose around and then go out and pick my lad up. I was doing really well until the Museum staff looked at me and then the guilt set in, but hey on the bright side I managed to keep it under $100! Quite a nice little haul as well...…..to go with my other nice little haul a few months ago.....and no doubt my next haul after summer! Any hoo this is what I got..

2019-07-11_10-28-05

To be honest I went in to get the Gazelle, I saw it a few months ago and wanted to research how good it was. Apparently on a par with the Fujimi Wasp but it'll be a good base and worth $20 to me, so I went in hoping that it would still be there, the others? Well I dunno how they got mixed up in the pile!

Bob

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blue Noser said:

Any hoo this is what I got..

The Ekranoplan builds into a surprisingly big model.

There is a build somewhere with corrections. I'll see if I can find it again as it is a few years since I did mine.

EDIT.     Will this do for starters?

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/misc/a90.htm

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well-known Su-27 fan Ken Duffy did this kit in a spurious Virgin Airways scheme which managed to look very convincing. I was always tempted to do one in BC Ferries livery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RWG686 said:

No,that would be an Airfix 1/72 or 1/48 Scimitar but since they're not on the horizon, I'll have to make do with the Canadair Argus conversion due soon. :biggrin::stirthepot:

Actually, what I meant was that it was the kit's quality, not the subject, which had that effect.  Sadly, and I hate to say this, but Airfix have not done that for me in a long time, and don't look likely to any time soon.  But a 1/48 Scimitar from someone would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeC said:

not the subject,

Why let the truth spoil a bit of banter though ? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Times are hard so my spending is low but I have managed to get a couple of things for projects ongoing.

IMG_5681-600x352.jpg

The decals are for a Javelin project and the bonus is it includes 29 Sqn markings too which I will also use. Be warned though the instructions call out the colour scheme for Javelins as Dark Green, Medium Sea Grey and Light Aircraft Grey! Well one out of three isn’t too bad.

The CMK resin lights are for the Seversky and the paint mask is for the Fly Model Hs123 I have been quietly whittling away at during quiet periods of the Seversky build and has now reached the primer stage.

Duncan B

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This book finally arrived from South Africa.

Product-Front-Cover.png?fit=532,751&ssl=

It is the second of three books in the series and there is also a 'Tribute' book with photographs of every aircraft they got.

The postage makes them very expensive but I see that Aviation Megastore has started to stock them.

I was surprised to learn, given that it is a British aircraft and a popular one, that they have had no luck in getting anyone over here to distribute it.

Now I'll need to add a few more of the new Airfix one to the list.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

surely just stamdard postage would apply? 

2 books were R920.

Postage R759.78 for SAPO International Parcel Service plus the non-Sterling transaction fee on the credit card.

Works out to £49 per book.  Still worth it though as nowhere else will you get such detailed and previously unknown coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2019 at 14:44, Blue Noser said:

So my son was working until 5 and I finish at 4, but luckily we have the Atlantic Canada Museum right on my work doorstep so I thought I'd have a quick bimble through the shop which just happens to be the best stocked used model kit shop in the whole of Atlantic Canada! No intention to buy anything just wanted to have a good nose around and then go out and pick my lad up. I was doing really well until the Museum staff looked at me and then the guilt set in, but hey on the bright side I managed to keep it under $100! Quite a nice little haul as well...…..to go with my other nice little haul a few months ago.....and no doubt my next haul after summer! Any hoo this is what I got..

2019-07-11_10-28-05

To be honest I went in to get the Gazelle, I saw it a few months ago and wanted to research how good it was. Apparently on a par with the Fujimi Wasp but it'll be a good base and worth $20 to me, so I went in hoping that it would still be there, the others? Well I dunno how they got mixed up in the pile!

Bob

705 sqd scheme for the Gazelle perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, skwonk said:

705 sqd scheme for the Gazelle perhaps?

Absolutely, definitely! None of that Crab or Pongo crap. Don't know if it'll be a shark or not but it brings back memories of when they were down past ETS at Culdrose (Cant remember if that was 'c' site or not, been away too long and the memory is fuzzy lol), ah fine old days!

Bob

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue Noser said:

Absolutely, definitely! None of that Crab or Pongo crap. Don't know if it'll be a shark or not but it brings back memories of when they were down past ETS at Culdrose (Cant remember if that was 'c' site or not, been away too long and the memory is fuzzy lol), ah fine old days!

Bob

E1 hangar, i see it from the office window everyday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

😁 am i the only one that has no clue what Bob said 😁

:rofl:Now, I don't know if Bob's time at HMS Seahawk (concrete carrier) A.K.A. RNAS Culdrose, in deepest darkest Cornwall-land, so I'm reliably informed! was spent as a 'Fish 'ead' or a WAFU. Crab and Pongo are loving (cough, cough, snarf!) names given to the more junior services of Her Majesty armed forces by the lads and lasses in the senior service. ETS refers to one of the training establishments on the base. 

HTH

Paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

that you paul

Probably is.

Predictive text by any chance?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

😁 am i the only one that has no clue what Bob said 😁

Lol, I suddenly slipped back a decade to when I was indeed a WAFU (to make matters worse a Chief Tiff as well!) at Culdrose, sometimes my native language takes over! At least @skwonk knew wot I wos talking about. Ah memories of popping down that way to E site on stand easy to see the misses for a nice cuppa. But in short, yes she will be a Royal Navy variant 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

😁 am i the only one that has no clue what Bob said 😁

Well I certainly know what he meant,I'm not  ex-navy but I do speak Fleet Air.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/07/2019 at 14:48, Blue Noser said:

Don't know if it'll be a shark

Scroll down here:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...