Site Admin

Make 'em jealous! What did you just get?

50 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Good God man,even @Jessie_C on the other side of the puddle is more au faite

Well you must remember that I'm a Canadian Mongrel, and much of my ancestry came to Nova Scotia from Veteris Scotia back in the day. But we also celebrate Gung Haggis Fat Choi hereabouts so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask about all things Haggis if you wish to learn only the orthodox Haggisology.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

much of my ancestry came to Nova Scotia from Veteris Scotia

I know that the North American Spotted Haggis is thrivng in Florida where it was accidently introduced by Canadians on holiday. It appears they clung to the undersides of their vehicles.  (Google "Florida Haggis")

I wonder if your relatives did the same or deliberately brought them with them for farming purposes?

Did they already exist having crossed the land bridge from Europe?

So many unanswered questions.

As an aside,I notice your use of Veteris Scotia. There is an interesting connection between the Romans and the Haggis. I will publish my findings in due course. Perhaps on a new thread if somebody would care to start it?

Do your roots go back to Pictavia or Caledonii?

• Haha 2

There being a distinct lack of highlands in Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Island simply doesn't count), I strongly doubt that they were brought over deliberately. I suspect that they clung to the bottom of the vessels as they crossed the Atlantic. My ancestry is somewhat vague, due to the local oversupply of rum in the smuggling ports up and down the coast :P

3 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

But if you don't want to be charged with animal abuse, you have to sedate them with some good single-malt scotch first.

Not on your nellie.....or as we're North of the border, should that be Nessie?!!  They may be allowed to have a wee smell of the still but they'll never be allowed more....have you any idea how difficult it is to age a haggis? I'm not getting done for corrupting a minor with alcohol.....'cos it's ALL mine!!! :evil:

• Haha 2

But how else do you marinade them? It has to be started while they're still alive or else they'll be too tough to eat. Even after being boiled for hours.

Hi Duncan
I need to borrow your time machine, so I can go back a couple or three days to thank you for the rigging thread.
Sorry I'm late with the commendation for your service.  

za9nx6valh1s2a26g.jpg

Also had delivery of a couple of items from Japan and a set of resin 1/72 oil drums which I forgot to include
Thought I had a spare engine to backdate Porco's Savoia S21 but it was the upgraded version which means I had to order another kit
Curses :whistle:

Hoping to make a vignette of Porco's cove, hence the oil barrels for his little jetty
Couldn't resist the 1/35 Maschinen Krieger figures.  

• Like 3

Managed to complete my Airfix 1/24 red box WWII kit collection this evening with finally getting my paws on the FW190. Well until next month when the Hellcat gets released.

56300116-2110359145709371-35086041174822

• Like 3

On 12/04/2019 at 09:44, BlackMike Models said:

I got myself a nice secondhand copy of Ian Black's "Last of the Phantoms" and some more Yellow-Wings Decal sheets to feed my addiction.

Duncan B

Damn good book as is Blackie's Lightning book.

On 12/04/2019 at 19:09, Grunhertz said:

with thanks to JessieC this is next on the bench now. 

IMG_1749.thumb.JPG.7306ab7b176b8c1101736a6c8490c742.JPG

IMG_1750.thumb.JPG.f03286d0bb79ae3bd0f546854a356949.JPG

Good man Daz,FAA at last.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Damn good book as is Blackie's Lightning book.

Good man Daz,FAA at last.

I love FAA stuff mate on the lookout for a barracuda when i have some more available readies 

12 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

I love FAA stuff mate on the lookout for a barracuda when i have some more available readies 

Didn't SH do a 1/48th Barra?, it was either Ced Bufton or Tony Patrickson did one "over there",turned out very nicely

(with working wing fold on one side too!!)if I remember.

At the weekend we had the Nova Scotian Model showcase that is the Shearwater Hobby Show, its a very small show but is the best we have and the best opportunity to shop for new and used stuff. I came away with a nice batch,

20190414_175319

The Kalinin was a door prize, The Sea Horse will be converted to a CH-126 and the MIG 19 was another impulse buy but I seem to have an affinity for Russian stuff now, dunno who set me up on that course! Also some Mig Ammo paints and primer to see how they go. The triplanes were nice and a purchase stirred by our WW1 GB even though its only a couple of weeks til completion I will do them slow time but I seem to have a theme going on!

20190414_175403

One wing, Two wings...….

It was also the first time I have entered models in a show, after doing this for 40 years I finally plucked up the courage and came away with a couple of medals! A gold for my Renown and Silver for my Seaking

20190413_170837

I was also speaking with the guys from the Atlantic Canada Museum and they have come into 3500 kits and were opening up after the show for everyone to browse and shop. I was sorely tempted but I had promised to take SWMBO out for an anniversary night out......I was sorely tempted but after 23 years of marriage I felt I owed Mrs C something! So hoping they open up again before too long!

So all in all a happy successful weekend.

Bob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

From the sublime to the ridiculous...
uxckdsx1ds9isig6g.jpg

I think it's cool.  I believe they were used by the Royal Navy for transporting XXXL barrels of rum for the fleet.

• Like 2

Back from MK with more loft insulation.

Micro-Mir 1/72 English Electric Canberra T.17
Xtrakit 1/72 Hawker Hunter T.7
Also got a couple of aftermarket bits and bobs plus a new addition to the tools, Dspiae MT-C 2.0 Circular Cutter (1mm-50mm).

• Like 2

I got a 1/48 Buffalo, Sea Fury and I-16, plus this painting at the show on the weekend.

EBrx4WH.jpg?1

My haul from the Scottish Nationals. The models came from ‘Donnie’s Stash sale’ and at a very reasonable (ie a price that only a fool would turn down).

IMG_5445-406x450.jpg

The Bases are from Coastal Kits and I’m delighted with them.

IMG_5444-600x458.jpg

I thought I’d give one a tryout.

IMG_5446-600x453.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 5

That P-35 is a lovely little kit, one of Hobbycrap's best :) You should even be able to actually use the kit decals. I did mine with the ancient Reheat Models etch set.

Edited by Jessie_C
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

That P-35 is a lovely little kit, one of Hobbycrap's best :) You should even be able to actually use the kit decals. I did mine with the ancient Reheat Models etch set.

It looks really nice in the box. I was expecting raised panel lines and such like but it's got very nice engraved details. As for the decals I went and ordered the 'Yellow Wings' Decal set for it which cost me nearly twice as much as the kit did :).

Duncan B

Just scored a Hasegawa 1:32 P-47D on eBay, for a rather bargain price. Just have to decide between 8th or 9th AF, and which machine in particular.

• Like 2