Site Admin

Make 'em jealous! What did you just get?

On 21/01/2019 at 08:16, Col. said:

This one has been sitting on a shelf in my 'local' for too long, it's not there now, intended to be another Seafire :) 

2019-01-16_07-52-29

Here we go again,get your shovel out Migs,I need some digging done☺️Where are we going now Col?.

2 hours ago, RWG686 said:

A phone call from Ian at Scott's Models saw me off to Glasgow to collect this:

1182354-12741-22-720.jpg

Not my usual scale but HMS Fulmar's SAR flight ones were the first helicopters I ever saw and as a bonus the kit gives transfers for a Lossie based one.

Nice one Richard,I've been looking for an Aerodrom 1/72nd for ages,they're like hen's teeth at a price I'd like to pay.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Here we go again,get your shovel out Migs,I need some digging done☺️Where are we going now Col?.

Ah Miggers, just the man I need, come with me if you will on a journey to Scapa Flow aboard HMS Indomitable during early 1943, where we find 899 Sqn. with their Seafire IIc and in particular MB244 6*Q.

MB244 features as a profile in Aviation Workshop's On Target Profile 5 where it features standard chin panels but given the whole saga of NN460 I've stopped trusting their artwork and what little research they've done towards them so did some research of my own. In Eric Brown's Seafire, From The Cockpit we find this photograph of an unidentified 899 Sqn. machine with the tropical filter fitted...

2019-01-31_09-24-56

... while on the cover of Kev Darling's Warpaint No.72 here's MB244 with a few deck crew around her.

2018-12-21_10-44-21

Take a look at the two lads chatting by the propeller. See how one appears to be resting his right arm on something? I think that thing is the intake for the tropical filter. Thus the Spitfire Vc kit will become Seafire IIc MB244 with a tropical filter :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Col. said:

Ah Miggers, just the man I need, come with me if you will on a journey to Scapa Flow aboard HMS Indomitable during early 1943, where we find 899 Sqn. with their Seafire IIc and in particular MB244 6*Q.

MB244 features as a profile in Aviation Workshop's On Target Profile 5 where it features standard chin panels but given the whole saga of NN460 I've stopped trusting their artwork and what little research they've done towards them so did some research of my own. In Eric Brown's Seafire, From The Cockpit we find this photograph of an unidentified 899 Sqn. machine with the tropical filter fitted...

2019-01-31_09-24-56

... while on the cover of Kev Darling's Warpaint No.72 here's MB244 with a few deck crew around her.

2018-12-21_10-44-21

Take a look at the two lads chatting by the propeller. See how one appears to be resting his right arm on something? I think that thing is the intake for the tropical filter. Thus the Spitfire Vc kit will become Seafire IIc MB244 with a tropical filter :) 

Bang on Col,that certainly looks like a big Vokes.

I'll get me shovel out(don't think I'll need the JCB for this one)and see where we can go.

I'd go as far as to say the b&w pic of "Winkle's"is also the same kite as the one in colour.

Pretty sure she'd be a conversion from a Spit Vc,probably a reallotment of serials in the late BR range of serials too.

Start a build thread Col and I'll jump in there.

Edited by Miggers
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

I'd go as far as to say the b&w pic of "Winkle's"is also the same kite as the one in colour.

I'm thinking the same. There's another colour photo going about taken at the same time which shows a wider angle of the deck with more Seafires and all feature the standard chin panels so I'm thinking MB244 was a rare bird and therefore most likely to be the subject of 'Winkle's' photo.

...and while I'm on the subject of Seafires, this arrived with me today all the way from the USofA :) 

2019-02-02_07-56-13

• Like 2

My stash reduction programme has taken another hit in the shape of this courtesy of Micro Mir in 1/72:

37599831.jpg

In 1967 at ATC summer camp,RAF Watton,we were getting a hangar tour by an airman who told us that we could look at all of the Canberras except this new T17. He was blocking access to a T4. Just as well none of us were spies.

I'll be building one in green and grey camouflage in memory of  my old mate John who was a navigator on them long before hemp appeared.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 5

Something totally off piste; just ordered a Games Workshop 'Sorceress on Black Dragon.' A bit different from 1/16 figures. Oh and I bought some parsnips yesterday amongst other things.

• Like 1

'Ere, never mind about the Sorceress.........

The collective need to know......where was access to said parsnips made? End, side or top opening? :whistle:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, phoenix54 said:

'Ere, never mind about the Sorceress.........

The collective need to know......where was access to said parsnips made? End, side or top opening? :whistle:

Quite easy access in a completely open plastic crate in Trashco's (other supermarkets and root vegetables are available). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Traschco's Parsnip panel lines are far too deep imho
Why can't they be as refined as those on Triterose's?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This arrived the other day, it's a rebox of the Special Armour kit and is rather spiffing. Revell will be issuing a box set of Hanomag SS100 tractor, trailer and V2 later this year (the tractor and trailer are also Special Armour).

46158819764_87c5550a9b_o.jpg

• Like 4

Was up in Oban again today packing up my old mate's stash (blatant plug..see you all at Perth.) and fell heir to an original..

01.jpg

It wasn't until I got home that I saw it was one which I had given to him when we heard they were changing the stuff. Full circle then!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

And now for something completely different...what's in the box?

33207686458_607d52fd30_o.jpg

A bag of bones, some metal roads and a plastic base.

33207686358_76cc59ba91_o.jpg

The 'instruction sheet' gives the game away.

33207686198_0cb0946b25_o.jpg

This should be fun!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

The 'instruction sheet' gives the game away.

Is it a Starfix Spitfire? :piliot:

• Haha 5

New job.

Made redundant yesterday,starting new job on Monday(back at a firm I left 4 years ago).

Skilled wet painters & powder coaters are in somewhat short supply it seems.

My old Boss said"Thank god you've turned up,when can you start?"

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

If only the same could be said for wet panters and power coaters there'd be hope for me and my Joan Collins jacket

Edited by Walrus
Wrong sister cited
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Miggers said:

New job.

Made redundant yesterday,starting new job on Monday(back at a firm I left 4 years ago).

My old Boss said"Thank god you've turned up,when can you start?"

Well that's bad and good news all wrapped up in one Miggers. Sounds as if you're going to be appreciated in your new old job.

As for me, went to club night and returned with these...

2019-02-13_12-41-41

A friend has been having a stash clearout following his redundancy so I picked up these two from him along with an option of the Matchbox one to act as a source of Mk.II conversion parts. Having built one of these well over twentyfive years ago it's time I added another couple to the stash and, eventually, display cabinet.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Morning Everyone :) 

Birthday present from my lovely wife last week :) 

resized_5b6ecb55-bdc0-46a0-8a15-eeda52b5

I love building bikes but must be honest, I've never made a chopper. Wife said it looks old and cool and its purple, so she grabbed it :) 

Its quite a big bugger, 1/8th scale, so I think I need to clear up some space on the bench :) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

I've never made a chopper. Wife said it looks old and cool and its purple, so she grabbed it :) 

Its quite a big bugger,

Someone's in for a very fun Valentine's Day!

• Haha 3