James Hatch

Make 'em jealous! What did you just get?

On 5/8/2018 at 9:02 PM, AndrewE said:

The internet makes it far too easy to buy stuff these days. A simple browse through the big H's new arrivals and I came across the new AModel Jetstreams.  Back in 86 or 87 I went to Cranfield to do a weeks flight testing as part of my Aeronautical Engineering degree and I had at least one flight in one of their Jetstreams. No idea if it was this one we went up in but the temptation was too great not to buy it. A few other items also managed to get into the basket as well and all of a sudden I get free postage:D  Great service as well, ordered Saturday and it was delivered today.

41981569591_6f436262d4_z.jpg

I have very fond memories of watching them being test flown at Prestwick, glorious days of have an office window that opened onto the apron with a great view of the runway and skies above. And a few dramas too. Lovely aircraft and jawdroppingly agile!

Airfix Vampire for £5. Thankfully it has the Kiwi markings and not the other option available. Many were the tempting bargains to be had today but had to resist. Got a picture frame for 75p from an animal charity shop as a base for 'Get those down', the sequel.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2018 at 21:02, AndrewE said:

The internet makes it far too easy to buy stuff these days. A simple browse through the big H's new arrivals and I came across the new AModel Jetstreams.  Back in 86 or 87 I went to Cranfield to do a weeks flight testing as part of my Aeronautical Engineering degree and I had at least one flight in one of their Jetstreams. No idea if it was this one we went up in but the temptation was too great not to buy it. A few other items also managed to get into the basket as well and all of a sudden I get free postage:D  Great service as well, ordered Saturday and it was delivered today.

I'm pretty sure that the Jetstreams at Cranfield in the mid '80s were the Jetstream 31 model with the Garret turboprops and not the Astazous that were fitted to the Jetstream T1 and T2.

On 10/05/2018 at 20:53, Jockster said:

I have very fond memories of watching them being test flown at Prestwick, glorious days of have an office window that opened onto the apron with a great view of the runway and skies above. And a few dramas too. Lovely aircraft and jawdroppingly agile!

The props on the Astazou Jetstreams operated in the Beta Range above Flight Idle, that is to say that, unlike most turboprops that operate in the Alpha Range, you had direct control of the blade angle (except at high TAS or high altitude). Indeed, for normal operation you didn't set a Torque (like on, say a C-130), but a Blade Angle.

The upshot of this is that setting 0 degrees blade in flight means that you now have effectively 2 great airbrakes on the wings. At Cranwell you could come over the threshold at 1000ft, select 0 blade, descend almost vertically, flare, land on the numbers, select max reverse, and turn off onto the secondary runway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

My only purchase at the IPMS Gloucester Show on Sunday. 

IMG_3976-297x450.jpg

Duncan B

Thought you were supposed to be flogging stuff Dunckie?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Romper's Green said:

The props on the Astazou Jetstreams operated in the Beta Range above Flight Idle, that is to say that, unlike most turboprops that operate in the Alpha Range, you had direct control of the blade angle (except at high TAS or high altitude). Indeed, for normal operation you didn't set a Torque (like on, say a C-130), but a Blade Angle.

The upshot of this is that setting 0 degrees blade in flight means that you now have effectively 2 great airbrakes on the wings. At Cranwell you could come over the threshold at 1000ft, select 0 blade, descend almost vertically, flare, land on the numbers, select max reverse, and turn off onto the secondary runway.

Seen that done at Culdrose,very impressive short field landing performance indeed.

I believe the 780 Andover could do a similar trick with it's Dart 301's.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Thought you were supposed to be flogging stuff Dunckie?

Yes, that was the general plan for the day. I did manage all day to resist the Hasegawa FG1 Black Mike kit that was sitting on the Club sales table across from us.

Duncan B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Seen that done at Culdrose,very impressive short field landing performance indeed.

I had been the Jetstream Display Co-pilot when I went through METS at Finningly. So when I became a QFI I knew intimately how to Khe Sanh the Jetstream.

The first time I did it at Cranditz, the Wg Cdr OC Flying called me into his office and told me: "You can't do that!"

I'm not sure he liked my response of: "Yes I can Sir, I just did!"

Every now and then I'd Khe Sanh the Jetstream just to piss him off. ;)

Edited by Romper's Green
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Miggers said:

Don't know if I'll see their latest mounts do that anytime soon.

On 14/05/2018 at 18:40, Romper's Green said:

I had been the Jetstream Display Co-pilot when I went through METS at Finningly. So when I became a QFI I knew intimately how to Khe Sanh the Jetstream.

The first time I did it at Cranditz, the Wg Cdr OC Flying called me into his office and told me: "You can't do that!"

I'm not sure he liked my response of: "Yes I can Sir, I just did!"

Every now and then I'd Khe Sanh the Jetstream just to piss him off. ;)

Gerroff!!!,you didn't do that did you Deborah?xD,why am I not surprised one bit^_^

20 hours ago, skwonk said:

Don't know if I'll see their latest mounts do that anytime soon.

It was way back in the day when I saw it done Darb,an Aunt and Uncle lived a few miles from Culdrose so it was pretty much a given that

Dad and I would go spotting for a few hours when we were down there on hols.

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

It was way back in the day when I saw it done Darb,an Aunt and Uncle lived a few miles from Culdrose so it was pretty much a given that

Dad and I would go spotting for a few hours when we were down there on hols.

Saw a few cars there the other morning. Nothing to see at that time of day though. I like seeing the raptors from the bird unit; the Peregrines look rather splendid.

• Like 1

Last two purchases were the Merit 1/24 SE5A and a Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest VI. Next issue is which one to start...

23 hours ago, skwonk said:

Saw a few cars there the other morning. Nothing to see at that time of day though. I like seeing the raptors from the bird unit; the Peregrines look rather splendid.

Coming home from work late this afternoon,I spied a buzzard dog fighting with two crows.

The boom'n'zoom tactics of the crows were amazing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Coming home from work late this afternoon,I spied a buzzard dog fighting with two crows.

The boom'n'zoom tactics of the crows were amazing.

I've seen that a few times as well as them having a pop at the odd raven when I used to live on the edge of Dartmoor.  Crows can certainly deploy 'rotte' tactics to their advantage, You'll never see them in vics.

• Like 2

I've seen crows doing that to a marsh harrier. The other year at Minsmere we were sat in a hide checking out the ternary when a marsh harrier turned up nearby. The adult terns went absolutely berserk and the harrier didn't stick around. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

I've seen crows doing that to a marsh harrier. The other year at Minsmere we were sat in a hide checking out the ternary when a marsh harrier turned up nearby. The adult terns went absolutely berserk and the harrier didn't stick around. 

Nice spot on the Marsh Harrier.

Latest purchase; Tamiya 1/35 WW1 British Infantry for a dio that has expanded beyond the original plan

5 hours ago, Darren said:

One of these, and it will be the only Brit vehicle in my collection. Plus it will be an Ambulance, as I have the Accurate Armour conversion for it. 

42208193691_bf0bf12a58_h.jpgDSC_2857_11228 by Darren Greenwood, on Flickr

Good review and review in March's issue of Airfix Model World:

https://airfixmodelworld.keypublishing.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=7060

One of the bods at work lent it to me for a read,it looks a great model when built

I don't read reviews anymore. Plus I'm getting too hung up on accuracy, so now I build it to please me and bugger the rivet counter's. And I can't afford to buy magazine's anymore when there is the world's greatest reference library (the internet). I've found loads of FV432 Ambulance's for my Op Granby build.  

• Like 2

Back from the Hinkley show with some new additions to the stash.

Eduard 1/72 MiG 21MF
Revell 1/48 Vought F4U-4 Corsair
Revell 1/48 Grumman F9F-5 Panther
Valom 1/72 North American RB-45C Tornado (RAF)

33058200_1650776558334301_27575384276069

Edited by Falcon
  • Like 1

Not a purchase, but a freebie of sorts...

An ultrasonic cleaner was obtained from my dentist "have this old one" deal. "Yippeee!" thinks I. Get home and plug it in to find it isn't working. "Bother!".

Luckily a computer/electrical genius mate has worked his magic on it and we are now fully up and running! I've cleaned my airbrush three times now, the second and third times were just for entertainment purposes.

Rather fascinating to watch "smoke" coming off/out of the airbrush within seconds of starting the cleaner.