Sign in to follow this  
Grunhertz

1/32 Yak 3

Well it appears James has stole my thunder!! My next build will be the above photos of the kit etc later. This will be an out of the box build. Sprue shots here http://brexitmodeller.com/forums/forum/45-aircraft/

Ive made a start but nothing to show as yet. There's just some A14 steel grey on some bits and that's about it at the moment

Oh for the love of......  I'll put some photos of base coated plastic up later.... I've just started the brush work on the cockpit and that's about it 

• Like 1

right time for the long awaited (by some) update Mine isn't going together as fast as James example but I can echo most of his sentiments. for those that saw my P39 thread i was approaching this with a bit of trepidation but i needn't have worried. whilst its not Tamiya, Hasegawa quality and fit. it's still really good and its easily the best Yak cockpit I've seen.

I started by removing the moulded on radio as this has to be replaced by the resin one then everything was painted with a Basecoat of A14 steel grey for this I use my own mix which is simply Ocean grey (it needs a blueish tint) with a touch of light grey just to lighten it slightly. then the back sections of the consoles were painted and the details picked out along with this goes the individualy moulded levers, which i personally prefer to flat PE levers. i finished this up with a burnt umber wash to the sides

P1030077.jpg

P1030078.jpg

P1030079.jpg

I then turned my attention to other parts being the control column, rudder bar with pedals and the seat. the rudder pedals are taken off the bar and replaced with resin pedals which also has PE straps which i won't put on until the bar is in place. I haven't used the PE trigger lever for the reason above and I have used the resin gun cocking system which to be fair is more detailed not that you are going to see much of it.

P1030080.jpg

P1030081.jpg

P1030082.jpg

P1030083.jpg

I then started on the Instrument panel and this is rather good. its a 3 piece panel with a separate oxygen regulator. I painted the panel black and applied the individual decals to the panel then painted the regulator sky blue and again added decals and picked out some of the details silver I finished of again with a lever and a couple of PE toggle levers 

P1030085.jpg

finally for this one it was time to look at the floor, on top of the wing this was painted the same with a wash and drybrushing and then I put the cockpit framing together. this is fiddly but goes together nicely and looks the business when put together. 

P1030076.jpg

P1030086.jpg

P1030087.jpg

I've now gone on to the undercarriage bays which contrary to the instructions was underside blue not steel grey on a lot of examples I would see if you can unearth any references for your particular aircraft here. this has been called by some as 70's S*&^house blue which i can agree with.

P1030089.jpg

P1030090.jpg

That's about it for now till later

• Like 1

Coming along swimmingly! I actually think you're doing this faster than I am. Don't forget, I had a 2 week head start on you, and you have most internals now complete and ready to pop into the wing and fuse. 

Loving seeing another of these being built B|

• Like 2

Update time, Sorry for the tardyness of updates but we have a few family things going on at the moment, and this is my stress relief time at the moment. so I have finished the interior

P1030092.jpg

It was then time to put the wing into the fuselage, a couple of points here. there is a lip on the top of the wing which locates inside the fuselage. this lip needs reducing in height by about half to make a seamless joint. Also do not put the first aid box inside the cockpit as this will foul the framework as you install it. thirdly remove a mm or so from the joining faces at the front of the wing otherwise you will end up with a step. and make sure you put the transparent lenses in the wing before you join the wings together, you won't line them up otherwise.  but when its all said and done it looks quite good.

P1030094.jpg

P1030093.jpg

the clamp is in place to hold the back end in place. the canopy sections need tweaking to get them to sit properly. and i also had to use a large amount of mr dissolved putty around them to get them to seat.

at this point the only real filler used was there and the nose to wing section. this was sorted with a drop of milliput.

P1030097.jpg

P1030096.jpg

This is all of the presahding needed on this aircraft. as well and so onto paint.

• Like 1

Okaaayy Paint and this starts with the god awful blue underside. this was Special hobby's gunze call out and it is somewhat bright and yes its pretty close to be honest but it is gloss so will need matting down.

P1030098.jpg

The grey top sides were light first then blutak sausages which went on nicely.

P1030102.jpg

P1030104.jpg

then It was time for decals. Now the decals what can i say? beautifully opaque and thin OMG are they thin! no setting solution needed and real care needed to stop them curling over i had to make sure i used micro set to make sure they slid into place

P1030105.jpg

P1030106.jpg

P1030107.jpg

Next weathering and finishing

• Like 2

OK not much to report really the weathering was done, and final assembly carried out the thing that worried me most was the spinner. but a bit of time and the spinner was done. the undercarriage goes together a treat and you just can't get it wrong the location is positive and sits nicely. The resin wheels look great (although dark green from my references) and the linkages really look the part. Two drawbacks, I didn't use the kit supplied Pitot as Its Awful i replaced it with a Contacta tube cut to length. and the center section of the canopy hmm not a good fit. needed some tweaking and a scary moment with CA glue but its finished more pics in the gallery.

P1030111.jpg

Now where's that F15 E I started

• Like 2