I got this super-rare master modeller edition kit and have brung my full skills and mastery to bear. Finished with all the same care and attention as I put into making sure it was historically accurate

Note the novel sideways sprung Sidewinder tip rails that had to jettison the missile 6’ sideways to clear the prop 

50353109022_f57a9c06a4_b.jpg 50352252358_3925779cf9_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

It's not half as mad as some real aircraft I've seen which look like they would have been improved if they had been put together from the spares bin.

• Like 3

It looks like 'Blue Peter' have been playing with a Phantom. (main body recce pod and fins)

Lancaster nose bubble for canopy?

No idea about wings/props/exhaust and what fuel tanks formed the engines.

Like it though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

It's not half as mad as some real aircraft I've seen which look like they would have been improved if they had been put together from the spares bin.

Wasn’t there a US late war wonder interceptor that was made by pretty much doing that? 

• Like 2

Just now, RWG686 said:

It looks like 'Blue Peter' have been playing with a Phantom. (main body recce pod and fins)

Lancaster nose bubble for canopy?

No idea about wings/props/exhaust and what fuel tanks formed the engines.

Like it though.

Excellent spots! Sea Vixen wings, Buccaneer tanks as engine pods, I think the props were from the Lanc, exhausts were from a Heinkel 111

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not wanting to be a rivet counter but the tail fins seem a little over scale and the exhausts were single stacks on the original prototype.......and back in the real world. Bonkers but fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is of course the second prototype which went to the USA after it was rejected by the Fleet Air Arm who went for the later jet powered version.

I  have enough bits lying around a detailed 1/72 kit of it but it will be some time in the new year before I can start it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RWG686 said:

it was rejected by the Fleet Air Arm who went for the later jet powered version

Look forward to seeing that. The RN had some kind of piffling concerns about bending props on heavy landings and the cleaning bills caused by the number of deck crew being turned into high velocity mince during trials

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, RWG686 said:

The Americans certainly pushed the design to its limits didn't they

Had a couple of those flying low over the house recently. I’m guessing they were heading to Valley. Maybe doing a bit of low flying at the Mach loop.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Look forward to seeing that. The RN had some kind of piffling concerns about bending props on heavy landings and the cleaning bills caused by the number of deck crew being turned into high velocity mince during trials

So it's actually related to the Westland Wyvern then?

Duncan B

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

Westland Wyvern

Using the most feeble of excuses (some members here are too young to know what you are talking about)

99187_big-jpg.468760

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

Using the most feeble of excuses (some members here are too young to know what you are talking about)

My Dad might well have been hiding from this one. He was on the Ocean but hated the Wyverns so whenever they were landing he'd go and 'sunbathe' somewhere else. Apparently they had wooden props and if damaged they would shower the deck with 3ft long javelin like splinters. They also had a nasty habit of blowing people overboard!

Duncan B

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 3

I've managed to find some rare pictures of the Royal Navy version.

This one was taken at RNAS Abbotsinch during trials in 1961.

99254-b78258cddb218e69f426e9b70359e2cc.j

I suspect that this was a disinformation exercise as when the real aircraft made its test flight there in 1962 it bore little resemblance to the earlier one.

99252-44fc4a13cb4ea7098f9149ee6e609126.j

Perhaps a future project for @Lost Cosmonauts ?

As an aside HMS Sanderling also produced these 'Vixettes' for the School of Aircraft Handling. They were converted from Sea Venoms.

• Like 3

So that's where Xtrakit got the drawings from for theirs.

That's one FAA kite I didn't know about. 

Did they actually fly or were they just dummy deck jobs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1