dr_g

1:250 Scale Paper Model: Flower Class Corvette "Battleford"

Made a start on rigging the rear deck Davits. I made the blocks from 0.8mm punched paper, painted brown. The lines are stretched sprue:

MhmT6yF4.jpg

Not totally accurate, but at least they give the impression of the real thing at 1:250 Scale.

GvMREl4h.jpg

• Like 2

So on to the main rigging. Realistic choice is stretched sprue, or elastic thread. Sprue is easier to cut and attach, but can sag when spanning long distances, and breaks as soon as you catch it accidentally.

Elastic thread can be stretched to overcome the sagging issue, but can easily bend the thin card masts/yards/spreaders. This can then in turn un-tension previously completed lines. Which is crap.

So on this one I opted to rig the forward lines of the front mast, and the rearward lines of the rear mast with sprue (all measured with dividers). Then I’ve used elastic thread under very slight tension for the lines/antennae between the two. This has put everything under tension, and looking ship shape:

rIKGZ0YA.jpg

r9Mdl1JY.jpg

v9kwBRHz.jpg

It’s easy to fix one end of the elastic, cut it slightly short, and then stretch it with tweezers held in a stand until the glue sets at the other end. Remove the stand and it pulls itself taught.

I’ll fit the remaining few lines using sprue tomorrow.

• Like 1

So rigging complete, masked the base up ready for matt varnishing (almost forgot to mask the windows...):

OhGFkaKS.jpg

So, assuming the varnish doesn’t attack the ink (like it did on the <<Mellum>> almost exactly 12 months ago), the next post should be finished pictures.

• Like 1

The rigging clamps are great, simple and effective, good engineering. All the impetus I needed to get me rigging my unfinished Arizona. Thanks.

i have seen elsewhere the use of black copper wire for rigging. Pull it taught between a pair of pliers (just beyond the point of elasticity) and it retains its straightness. 

Anyway, fantastic work throughout, cheers

6 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

The rigging clamps are great, simple and effective, good engineering. All the impetus I needed to get me rigging my unfinished Arizona. Thanks.

i have seen elsewhere the use of black copper wire for rigging. Pull it taught between a pair of pliers (just beyond the point of elasticity) and it retains its straightness. 

Anyway, fantastic work throughout, cheers

Actually, they were made by my pal, whose got even more rigging to do than me...