dr_g

1:250 Scale Paper Model: Flower Class Corvette "Agassiz"

Picked this up while in Hamburg last week, it's one of the latest HMV paper model ship releases, a Flower Class Corvette. It can be built as the "Agassiz", "Wetaskiwin", "Battleford" or "Levis" (named after Canadian towns).

3DlBq61L.jpg

This one has 1,215 parts, and a laser-cut detail set which I have on order:

4g7duLPX.jpg

Ze3moHy9.jpg

Looking forwared to making a start on it when the <<Mellum>> is finished. I always liked the look of the old Matchbox Corvette, but never built one. This one is obviously much smaller, and is slightly different in design.

More info here:

http://h-m-v.de/agassiz.0.html?&L=1

I'm looking forward to this one just as much as the Revell 1/144 one I've strongly hinted at for my birthday. I'm well impressed by all these card models,  I may have to try one myself one of these days. The only difficult bit is choosing which ship!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kpnuts said:

I'm going to follow this, never built a card board model so interested to see how hard it is.

I'll not be starting this one until I've finished the <<Mellum>>, which is another paper ship. It's elsewhere on this forum in case you'd like to see progress and how they go together.

I've previously completed a paper Trawler <<Wuppertal>> which is in 'Gallery' somewhere.

Ta.

21 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Does it have Wetaskiwin's "infamous" gun shield art?

Can't see anything out of the ordinary on the prints...can you elaborate?

The shield of the 4" gun was a favourite place for HMC Corvettes' crews to paint a crest relevant to the ship's name. For example, here's HMCS Drumheller:

drumheller_shipbadge_1.jpg

HMCS Moose Jaw:

MooseJaw002_zps14a84929.jpg

And of course for the purposes of this discussion, Westaskiwin (HMCS Galt outboard):

12940879_986167441431650_366898853_n.jpg

A colour version:

GS_Wetaskiwin-artwork.jpg

• Like 2

On 19/01/2017 at 00:17, Jessie_C said:

The shield of the 4" gun was a favourite place for HMC Corvettes' crews to paint a crest relevant to the ship's name. For example, here's HMCS Drumheller:

drumheller_shipbadge_1.jpg

HMCS Moose Jaw:

MooseJaw002_zps14a84929.jpg

And of course for the purposes of this discussion, Westaskiwin (HMCS Galt outboard):

12940879_986167441431650_366898853_n.jpg

A colour version:

GS_Wetaskiwin-artwork.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I just checked, and no, the artwork isn't there. But I guess that's not a problem now, thanks to your post above!

I shall watch this with interest- my Maternal Grandfather commanded a Flower Class Corvette, and later a Flotilla of them on the Murmansk / Archangel convoys.

• Like 2

Got the hull framing done, and the main deck on. There were a few bits and pieces that fit under the foredeck to add too:

6HlJZqhX.jpg

Foredeck on and taped down:

gOvhDL7N.jpg

Current state of play:

BhlZme1X.jpg

A quick test-fit of the hull sides shows....that they dont fit! Too deep it seems. I'll remove the hull from the glass plate and try again - hopefully it's just the thickness of the tape that's raising the sides too much.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2017 at 00:52, Jessie_C said:

I haven't found definitive proof that it was painted on the port side of the gun shield, but this model has it there.

You'd have though that if it was on the port side, it would have been a mirror image - she's pointing backwards as it is on the model.

I think that depended on the individual artist's choices, which is why I'm not certain about the port side art at all.

So, yes, the hull sides are too long. I fitted them the best I could, but they were never going to look right:

8n0zY5Kc.jpg

S0I52rUV.jpg

Also, too deep. If the split line is taped flush with the deck:

JVlX9kmr.jpg

...the lower edges are all over the place - they fit OK in the middle, but extend to far down at the bow and stern:

OtjKgmC9.jpg

So after much head scratching, and yet again starting over with a new kit, I opted to cut 2mm sections out of the hull, and stagger them for strength and so they lined up as best they could with the printed hull panel lines:

jic7bYnq.jpg

Not prticularly impressive for a 2016 release IMO, but there you go. Current situation with the deck side stiffeners and some front railings fitted:

07dlRlQU.jpg