Sign in to follow this  
Paul Brown

B7000 and T7000 glues

I'm a sucker for adding stuff to the toolbox and when I heard about these glues I thought I'd give them a whirl. They appear to be acrylic formulations and work best as contact adhesives (apply on both surfaces and allow to dry before bringing the joint together). Curing time is extended, although initial set is actually quite rapid, but they need a good few hours to achieve full strength. I've not really tried them on much, a DIY repair and a couple of jobs on the model bench including using them 'wet' (it seemed to work OK). I'm hoping the clear version is good for transparencies, if not I'll be buying some more GS Hypo! You usually see them advertised for mobile phone repairs, so I figured they'd be good for use on polystyrene, metal and other media us modellers use regularly. They're not particularly expensive, in the £3-£4 bracket off of ebay. I'll report again after I've given them a bit more of a run.

DSC_0465.thumb.JPG.944ed43fed06de024f390924835e7653.JPG

• Like 1

On 13/09/2020 at 23:57, Paul Brown said:

I figured they'd be good for use on polystyrene, metal and other media us modellers use regularly.

You wouldn't happen to know if this glue works on vinyl Paul?

I've had a look online and I couldn't find a list of the stuff it sticks.

Amazon/ebay listings claim they'll stick just about anything to anything(!). They're both very sticky from dispensed from the tube and I don't see why they wouldn't adhere well to vinyl. Although I've found a way to bond rubber band tank tracks using superglue and kicker, these glues might be a good way of sticking them together.

2 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

Amazon/ebay listings claim they'll stick just about anything to anything(!). They're both very sticky from dispensed from the tube and I don't see why they wouldn't adhere well to vinyl. Although I've found a way to bond rubber band tank tracks using superglue and kicker, these glues might be a good way of sticking them together.

Thanks Paul, I'll give them a go.

I had a bit of a mare at the weekend trying to glue this together:

138557-11185-pristine.jpg

I eventually managed with superglue (GS-Hypo was useless). I've also got a load of those 1/72 toy model soldiers to stick to a dio I'm working on. Superglue just about works on the nasty plastic but it isn't a very secure bond. There is a vinyl glue but the I can only find it available in the US - with an eye watering delivery cost.

I don't know what release agent they use these days on polyethylene moulded stuff, but if it's at all oily then it will need to be meticulously cleaned off before attempting to use any paint or glue. Back in the day they used to use a ton of oil to make sure they popped out of the tooling.

• Like 1