Che Guava

A Minor diversion

9 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I do remember the rat about to have your feet for breakfast , that grumpy polis that threw us out of the terminal and the 0100 arrival of that Vanguard but I'm damned if remember a Luton Minor.

Lightning in the rain, Norwegian F-5s in the static and of course 'WPH..Luton thingy.....nah!

You should start a thread about our spotting adventures ..teaspoons at Pik...USS Saratoga at Greenock and that run through the station.

Luton Minor G-AXGR taxying out as we were about to breakfast in the old Turhouse Airport terminal building (was that about 8am?). Windsock horizontal in 'brisk' westerly. Minor turns into wind. lift off in about 3 yards, climbs near vertically to about two hundred feet and follows the main runway at about walkiing speed for 20 minutes (we decided at one point as he got to about 300ft he was actually flying backwards - hence the clue 'What goes zzub?'  'A bee flying backwards!'). He then gave up half way down the runway,, turned downwind now at 150mph back to where he started, turned wiindward and landed like a Harrier on a Carrier. Never flew the rest of the day!

Mind you, I don't remember the Norwegian F.5s!

Spotting tales - good idea. I'll lift the Luton tale and start in.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Impatience took over and, against my better judgement, used thinned-down old sticky paints.

Produced the decals while I awaited the evaporation of the spirit (a common ailment among the modelling fraternity) but changed my mind midway through and incorporated the front white/red demarcation which i just couldn't get right with paint/masking/touching-up. So the whole side of the fuselage is white decal including the reg and red front bit.

Printing out 2 sets usually ensures I only need one, but this time my first go wrinkled badly, necessitating the use of the spare. The wrinkled transfer gave me an idea for replicating the wrinkled fabric you often see on BE's and others though - more experimenting later, I think!

bfb1122d-4127-42b2-b700-064cf0745f99.jpg

Wing on, but the tripod arrangement of centre struts means the wing struts will need to go on pdq to stabliise the assembly. Nothing for it but to cut the struts from thinnish card and aerofoilate (new word) them....

1cc2f52c-43dd-46fd-bd9e-889175e01a56.jpg

• Like 6

Struts on, cylinder barrels from an old spare rotary engine, prop from 1/144 scale Viscount (modified- a lot!). Just a few Minor (see what I did there?) details left to do.

7a74ea2c-3d4a-4aa5-9015-e18c1a41c4a1.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, skwonk said:

That's tiny! You're a better man than I.

I'll refrain from lewd comments like, "said the dean to the bishop".

Nice work Che!
It sure is a midge.  Are you sure it's 1/72 scale?  xD 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Are you sure it's 1/72 scale?  xD 

I had to check the scale drawings twice - once in imperial, and then double-checked in metric. Then again when I made the seat because I thought it was definitely in 1/96th!

If I was doing one that size again, I'd need to change brain gear - the struts are all too thick, especially with a coat of paint. and I might buy some of those Revell 1/144 scale kits for bits.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Che Guava said:

First sane comment I've seen on here since I joined.

And you won't get many of those for the price of a stamp.

Who is this fellow "Wallis Autogyro"?

We the highly enthralled audience are agog(similar to a wellygog but different) to know.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/10/2020 at 02:14, RWG686 said:

Ask him to post his 1/72 Wallis Autogyro.

Dear @Che Guava, could you please post your 1/72 Wallis Autogyro? Pretty please? Wi’ sugar on top?

Edited by Dr Loopy
Various tweaks
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Miggers said:

Who is this fellow "Wallis Autogyro"?

I believe Wallis Autogiro was the divorcee paramour of British King Edward VIII who's marriage was responsible for the sale of many Daily Mails just prior to the 2nd World War. She later became known as Wallis 'Simpson' following a persistent attack of jaundice.

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Che Guava said:

First sane comment I've seen on here since I joined.

Probably the last too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Che Guava said:

I believe Wallis Autogiro was the divorcee paramour of British King Edward VIII who's marriage was responsible for the sale of many Daily Mails just prior to the 2nd World War. She later became known as Wallis 'Simpson' following a persistent attack of jaundice.

And later invented the spin dryer.....

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 2

And today's word is 'bifurcated'....as in "I bifurcated* this exhaust three times but got it right on the fourth".

The split exhaust on the very minor Minor attaches to each very little cylinder head of the teeny tiny horizontally opposed engine, the bifurcations curving down and joining at the front in the oh so microscopically small outlet. First time it didn't fit, second time I broke it, third time it fell off while painting it and I run over it with the castor of my chair!

This is the fourth (successful) one. Did I mention it's quite small?

e61e9446-4f5f-415e-80e6-531664d928fb.jpg

a340c31a-dd78-467a-8a3c-99c1cfc36e4b.jpg

c4092625-6fea-4a10-bf28-10187eec9626.jpg

Just 4 lengths of rigging and some serious touching up left, only noticed it in the 4-times life size photo! It doesn't look that bad without your specs on, honest.

(I was thinking of getting a proper macro lens, but that would just make it look even worse.)

*divide into two branches or forks.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 3

On 11/15/2020 at 9:11 PM, RWG686 said:

Fournier RF-5 still alive?   If so pose it to show how big the Minor is.

In looking for the RF-5, I found this. Built when it was first released by Heller in 1967 , I'll need to look for its missing wheel and prop.

2983df2c-d0b5-458d-a407-5798c6421a8f.jpg

Looks strangely familiar. Hmmm. Nope, can't think where I've seen that tail decoration before. Maybe @Grunhertz knows.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

Nope, can't think where I've seen that tail decoration before.

Probably on a Spitfire he saw and liked. :stirthepot:

• Haha 4