Grunhertz

Less than a tenner!

On 20/09/2020 at 18:30, goon said:

I could go for this if it fits in with my other builds. Got an 'interesting' candidate to go with. ;)

Go for one of Bob Tuck's or one of Alan Wright's 92 Sqn jobs,they perforated a few Messerschmitts with theirs.........

• Haha 1

Just remembered my Italeri Grumman Intruder bought for 7 quid at the Huddersfield Model Show many years back.
That is now a strong contender. 

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 4

Can I add my tuppence worth here?

I had a quick look in the old historical stash, and hit on a problem. Not legal tender.  Plenty of old Airyfix and Froggies in pre-decimal groats and sesterces, but nothing much in pounds and pences.

Then it occurred to me.

That's cheating.

Our model shops and manufacturers are having a hard time. Maybe we should show a receipt dated from, lets say the first time this was mentioned a couple of weeks age, ex-postage of course?

Then again, maybe a successful under-a-tenner bid on ebay might quallify?

Edited by Che Guava
  • Haha 1

Now me owd fruit @Che Guava, don't go mixing yer groats (full or half?) and sesterces, it's similar to trying to pass off yer unused holiday peseta's at the corner shop!  I would hazzard a guess that what you have are quite a few price tickets that are marked in proper money terms al la L,S,D? For those who haven't a clue £/s/d!

Paul

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phoenix54 said:

@Che GuavaFor those who haven't a clue £/s/d!

I'm sure a modern computer-wiz who can handle binary and hexidecimal will have no trouble with a currency based on 12 and 20 - at the same time. Andwe did it in our heads!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

I'm sure a modern computer-wiz who can handle binary and hexidecimal will have no trouble with a currency based on 12 and 20 - at the same time. And we did it in our heads!

:evil: I still take pleasure in baffling the kids with proper money, and that includes the Wife! I can mentally add up faster, and she using a calculator, and in units of 10! :wink: Can remember teachers setting questions, in primary school, of add, subtract, multiply and divide the likes of £1/2/31/2 d + 65p and give your answer in £/s/d AND decimal. Good fun!! If it were good enough for Bill the Conq to retain, it's good enough fer me.......

PS The answers are £1/15/31/2 d / £1.88p

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, phoenix54 said:

holiday peseta's at the corner shop!

No chance,the wily shopkeeper would bite 'em and leave teeth marks giving the game away that they weren't

yer proper "coin of the realm".

Oh,you meant "pesatas"(Spanish "funny money"),I thought you meant potato's.:P

Edited by Miggers

Have we decided yet?

Being a cheapskate (that old phrase "Buy cheap, buy twice" exlains the huge stash!) I've got several contenders lined up, from a pair of Twin Otters at a fiver each in the HobbyCraft sale, a genuine bargain vacform off ebay (no takers on the vacform build proposal then?), and a nice wee pre-war lightplane with a current retail price of £9.50 even including postage. All bought within the timescale of this proposal.

Actually, I could probably fill the requisite list personally, given a few more extendend lockdowns (anyway, nearly finished replastering and painting the one's master bedroom, just started laying the new floor, so I'll need a new project x15 soon).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2020 at 1:34 PM, Che Guava said:

I'm sure a modern computer-wiz who can handle binary and hexidecimal will have no trouble with a currency based on 12 and 20 - at the same time. Andwe did it in our heads!

Maybe that's why our aud heeds are now turning to mince.

• Haha 1

well, ive been trying to work out a way of proving what i paid for things in the stash, was on the point of buying something new just to get a receipt!

but then i thought to check my ebay purchase history for the last 2 years.......took a screen capture to prove i paid £9.99 for something....sorted!!.........got something very suitable, which is on the short list to do anyway 😊 happy days 😊

I've lived in Yorkshire for the last 27 years.  I'm still an outsider but local ways have rubbed off on me.
That should be proof enough of low cost purchases without need of receipts.

Also I'm an honest cove and don't see any value in trying to pull the wool over other members' eyes.
I expect that applies to all other members and would trust them with my wallet.
(But only because it's full of moths) 

Edited by Walrus
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

I will take people on trust to a point if you rock up with a wingnuts Felixstowe. No chance 

The solution to that one is to make them build only £10 worth of the kit. For a Wingnut Felixstowe that's about half an engine and a couple of struts :P

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

Then there's this one, clearly marked $.49 right on the box top!

I wonder how many scroll down to the bottom of the text.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

If I had too much money I'd buy it and build it, just to make the collectors cry.

A bit like giving an Airfix Beagle Basset to a 10yr old as their first model.

Ah yes the Airfix Beagle Basset 

Did a poor job of mine when I was a ten year old and made a right Shih Tzu of it! :( 

Edited by Walrus
  • Haha 2

When I was combing the shelves clearing up, as you do, I noticed the price-tag on a 1 72 Firefly Mk V - $11.95. Since we’ve never had parity wivva Pind (sorry), and it’s less than the AU$17-ish mention recently (Grunhertz? Gorby?), then that has to be a shoe-in. Or would be if I could get past the RIVETS!!! At least it doesn’t have panel chasms (so you can’t say that I’m never satisfied).

• Like 1