Sign in to follow this  
Paul Brown

KP 1/72 Sopwith Triplane KPM0183

KP 1/72 Sopwith Triplane

All new tool WWI kits in 1/72 are something of a rarity, so I thought I'd share this latest offering from KP. If you've ever been to Old Warden and seen the Shuttleworth Collection's replica Sopwith Triplane, then you've seen a sight to marvel at. From the Shuttleworth Collection web pages:

This reproduction aircraft was built entirely by volunteer members of Northern Aeroplane Workshops to original plans and delivered to Old Warden in June 1990. On seeing the quality and accuracy of the workmanship Sir Thomas Sopwith declared it to be a late production aircraft rather than a replica (and he should have known!). It’s powered by an original Clerget 130hp rotary engine.

1582742028_OldWarden004.thumb.jpg.64c96771430c1f7afc748a0911dd7202.jpg

Back to the KP kit. As far as I'm aware the only other kit in 1/72 is the venerable (released in 1966) Revell Triplane, which is actually rather good and still worth a build if you have one. The KP kit comes in three boxings 'Black Flight', 'In Red Soviet Service' and 'Aces' which is the one featured here. I rather like the old school box artwork, it is very striking and quite instructive about painting and rigging details.

DSC_0544.thumb.JPG.ee2dc2a7c70c9ab3114a686581710273.JPG

The box back has the scheme options with colours keyed to Humbrol/Agama paints.

DSC_0546.thumb.JPG.057385174b371d51499a6e9981c6b9a9.JPG 

The parts are neatly presented in the familiar KP sticky sealed poly back.

DSC_0547.thumb.JPG.de69e972d39d2d3b0be0810fa1bee5c7.JPG

The decal sheet is small, but so is the aircraft and it's before they started writing the service manual all over the airframe. Print quality is good, but I'm a little concerned about the opacity of the white ink. I'd suggest painting white on the airframe where the roundel and fin flash decals are to be placed. The other white decals might need to be over-painted. The sheet also contains seat harnesses. The instructions are perfectly adequate and include reasonable comprehensive rigging diagrams, although these lack a head-on view that would have been helpful.

DSC_0545.thumb.JPG.62753a5753c3be7db526f8bd5bc99bc4.JPG

All the parts are on a single frame. I won't comment accuracy wise as I don't have references to compare other than my own photo above, but the shapes look OK to my untutored eye. The cowling slots don't actually look like the box art, something tells me the latter may be more representative of the real thing. The engine is a bit flashy, whilst the guns are somewhat blobby. I'd be looking to replace these. The wing ribbing is a little over emphasised but about par for the course compared with most other 1/72 WWI kits and I don't really have any issue with it. Detailing is otherwise pretty good throughout, although it's a pity the decal sheet doesn't contain any instrument clock faces. 

DSC_0548.thumb.JPG.fcd7cc5d49a84169a21e883f583d1941.JPG

DSC_0549.thumb.JPG.9149f2e5fd34ac37f1047bc4a2ea4272.JPG

DSC_0550.thumb.JPG.d66590c951b243127f3c64236123294a.JPG

DSC_0551.thumb.JPG.3c951029697a7905e76d11943cf7ed02.JPG

DSC_0552.thumb.JPG.0add54382f80f9f796e720d441c47385.JPG

DSC_0553.thumb.JPG.e348115a805a99be284b1ad2d79ccbb7.JPG

There you have it. I'd take this kit over the ancient Revell on account of it being better detailed and providing a little 'extra'. Due to the niggles I'd give it 7/10, but even so if you wanted something to occupy a couple of afternoons or evenings and end up with a nice little model, this could be just the thing. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, beowulf said:

interesting but i struggle with aircraft with a single wing let alone three! lol

The beauty of both the Sopwith and Fokker Dr1 triplanes is that two sets of wings are attached to the fuselage, plus they have only single struts and reduced rigging. Nothing to be frightened of. 

2 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

. Nothing to be frightened of. 

lol

i can do shiney bikes and cars no problem

i can do tanky things weathered and splattered

but whenever i try a plane i really struggle, just dont look right in my eyes.................and adding wings and stringy bits dosnt help lol

ive tried 1/48 scale biplanes thinking being a bit bigger might help......still ended up in the bin 🤣🤣🤣🤣.......me and eduard have never got on since 

Edited by beowulf
  • Haha 1

On 13/09/2020 at 15:41, beowulf said:

lol

i can do shiney bikes and cars no problem

i can do tanky things weathered and splattered

but whenever i try a plane i really struggle, just dont look right in my eyes.................and adding wings and stringy bits dosnt help lol

ive tried 1/48 scale biplanes thinking being a bit bigger might help......still ended up in the bin 🤣🤣🤣🤣.......me and eduard have never got on since 

I'd try the eduard SE5 that'll sort ya 

On 13/09/2020 at 05:10, beowulf said:

interesting but i struggle with aircraft with a single wing let alone three! lol

The beauty of a tripehound is the bottom wings lock into the bottom of the fuselage, the middle wings lock onto the top of the fuselage and the struts go through all 3 wings to keep it all lined up. You have to work at it to make it go wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

The beauty of a tripehound is the bottom wings lock into the bottom of the fuselage, the middle wings lock onto the top of the fuselage and the struts go through all 3 wings to keep it all lined up. You have to work at it to make it go wrong.

Challenge accepted!