Paul Brown

Tamiya 1/48 Crusader

Seeing as I have a recent completion I'm allowing myself the luxury of cracking open a box and starting a new build in order to participate in the GB. It's going to be the Tamiya 1/48 Crusader and seeing as I've been curious about these Tamiya kits it's the perfect excuse to actually get cracking. It looks fab in the box.

DSC_0405.thumb.jpg.0cd9d4c890a67a3cc1015325cd756850.jpg

• Like 7

This is the reason why I'm only an occasional AFV builder - too many wheels! When I first looked at the DSPIAE nippers I thought they were an expensive extravagance, but now I've come to realise that in reducing the amount of time spent in cleaning up, they're actually worthwhile having.

DSC_0562.thumb.JPG.35415dfb74272cc491a283d21a9f7afb.JPG

Detail in the wheels themselves is exquisite. Next up the diecast hull. This has a nice weight to it and comes already primed. I suspect it's a little simplified, but there won't be much visible at the end of the day. I was a little worried about the fit of the plastic parts on the metal, but they fit perfectly. It is after all a Tamiya kit.

DSC_0570.thumb.JPG.7f010ca5f304a907a714c91abc67d030.JPG

DSC_0571.thumb.JPG.11c803b6adc66563f8609940f10dd2b7.JPG

DSC_0572.thumb.JPG.3e6b0c1ca81cc1925e24dcd99bbad332.JPG

For bonding plastic to metal I used some recently purchased T7000 glue, it seems to work really well. That's all for today.

• Like 5

I've been looking at them for some time, this one came up on a Facebook auction and I won it for a good price. This GB was the perfect excuse to break it out and I don't think it's going to disappoint, it looks wonderful in the box.

Thought I'd better post a progress report. No pic because an image of 28 assorted wheels, sprockets and idlers in primer would probably be  duller than a dull thing in Ditchwater City. So yes primed wheels, I thought I might lose the will to live, but a strange thing happened. It took a while to get through them, but I found it as therapeutic as doing fahzands of stencils on an aircraft model. I'm the guy who looks at the Airfix F-4 decal sheet and goes whoa! Look at all those cute stencils just waiting to be cut out and stuck on. Bring it on. I might seek out a 1/35 tracked thingy from the stash and see if individual track links have the same effect.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Thought I'd better post a progress report. No pic because an image of 28 assorted wheels, sprockets and idlers in primer would probably be  duller than a dull thing in Ditchwater City. So yes primed wheels, I thought I might lose the will to live, but a strange thing happened. It took a while to get through them, but I found it as therapeutic as doing fahzands of stencils on an aircraft model. I'm the guy who looks at the Airfix F-4 decal sheet and goes whoa! Look at all those cute stencils just waiting to be cut out and stuck on. Bring it on. I might seek out a 1/35 tracked thingy from the stash and see if individual track links have the same effect.  

should have let me know i've sold all my armour with individual links 

6 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

should have let me know i've sold all my armour with individual links 

Oh, I'm pretty certain I can find one here!  rofl.gif.33edecbb4716c6d2b984532c23ff6ed6.gif

• Haha 1

Well, what a palaver. I knew getting up to speed with a cutter was not likely to be a five minute job, but even so...

I worked out how to import a dxf file into the software. Then I had to work out why some of the shapes were impossibly twisted around themselves - the Silhouette software doesn't identify certain objects in the dxf, exploded them, sorted. Then I created a file to cut wheel masks for the Crusader, a simple job. Until I tried cutting it. The software is not particularly intuitive, eventually sussed it. Then getting the media to feed into the right place. Grrr. Finally got a cut, but the right angle lines were not right angles and the circles were more elliptical. I think the problem is not having one of the feed rollers adjusted properly, but I've had enough for one day. Will try again tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OK it was bugging me so I went back to it and got it sussed. I now understand how to feed the sheet nicely and once I discovered that if you want to cut without a mat the registration marks need to be switched off in software, otherwise the machine tries to look for non-existent registration marks. Not that it actually tells you that in the manual or online tutorials.  :wallbash:

So I now have a set of wheel masks. Easy when you know how.

• Like 1

I've only had sporadic visits to the bench recently, mostly on account of being a bit dicky recently which has resulted in various visits to the doc, getting blood extracted etc, etc. I won't go into the gory details, but the doc has given me six months to make significant changes to lifestyle, body mass and cholesterol levels, or else. Since I'm not anxious to explore the 'or else' envelope I'm knuckling down with the intention of getting the job done. Imminent mortality is a wonderful motivator. Also I've been attempting to rationalise the chaos otherwise known as The Bench and fellow enthusiasts of clutter will know what this means. There is now a little more order amongst the chaos, so a little progress has been made.

DSC_0647.thumb.JPG.b879c9c6f4d3251be265a98a041e388c.JPG

Being able to cut consistent size circle masks with a few mouse clicks is a tremendous boon, so whilst the initial investment in the cutter caused a bit of wallet wailing I think it's going to be well worth it. I was still left with a little tidying up after spraying the rubber black, but a black wash soon fixes it. I'm not to worried about a few blibs and blobs because they'll disappear in the weathering. I'm liking the metal chassis a lot, it gives a nice weight to everything and I'm now thinking adding some weight to AFV models may well be a good thing to do, generally speaking. The paint is Vallejo Model Air, I bought a set covering Brit tanks in Africa. The colour is good, but that's the only nice thing I can say about it. Thumbs down for Model Air from me.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your health Paul. As this isn't a particularly active hobby many of us could probably do with a bit more exercise.

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Sorry to hear about your health Paul. As this isn't a particularly active hobby many of us could probably do with a bit more exercise.

Thank you. Also thank you for reminding me I have an appointment with a rowing machine!

I have just spent a satisfactory session setting up one side of the link and length tracks. It goes without saying that when building a Tamiya kit then it's a case of if Carlsberg did link and length tracks. It's easy peasy using the running gear as a jig and a Deluxe Materials Pin Flow applicator to deposit exactly the right amount of cement in exactly the right place. The only snag was some of the small parts going AWOL and nearly being lost to the floor monster, but happily they are all accounted for.

• Like 2

Cheers mate, all pretty much under control. 

I've just completed the second set of tracks, whoopee!

The rowing machine can no longer be ignored, ah well...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Cheers mate, all pretty much under control. 

I've just completed the second set of tracks, whoopee!

The rowing machine can no longer be ignored, ah well...

You want to try high tailing round London trying to get safety inspections done, youd never need to use the rower 

I used to be a building control officer, happy days walking around building sites! Had a colleague who nearly disappeared down a pile bore that hadn't been concreted, how's that for 'elf 'n safety?! 

• Haha 2

The fruits of my labours. I'm currently adding pieces to the upper hull.

DSC_0650.thumb.JPG.f6fa8b6ee7fc8187bd364cdb65be219c.JPG

The tracks are reasonably bendy and they should pop into place with the idlers and sprockets still separate. The joints are quite fragile and they'll need to be handled with kid gloves, but doing it like this means the tracks can be painted separately. I still can't get my head around the idea of gluing everything and then painting.

• Like 3

Not much to report, I've been adding some of the boxes and clutter to the topsides. I've been promising myself a shake 'n bake project for some time, well this is it, everything can be easily removed from the frames, readily cleaned up and fits perfectly. I was worried about the fit between the metal chassis and plastic parts, relax Jack, it's Tamiya. The uppers are fixed by two screws into the metal chassis, they're hidden under the engine deck and the mg turret base (the bit with the vertical pin). Everything is seamless.

DSC_0651.thumb.JPG.ddd0500d7f79df38056b28ae3c4bd5cd.JPG

If this is a bellwether for other kits in the range, I can see myself acquiring more of them.

• Like 2

On 08/11/2020 at 16:24, Paul Brown said:

fellow enthusiasts of clutter will know what this means. 

So true.

On 08/11/2020 at 16:24, Paul Brown said:

I've been attempting to rationalise the chaos

Like painting the Forth Road Bridge.

I hope your health continues to improve.  

Nothing like a dose of reality to convince us we are not bombproof after all.

Oh yes..good work on the target too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 08/11/2020 at 18:59, Paul Brown said:

Also thank you for reminding me I have an appointment with a rowing machine!

Rowing machine,rowing machine!!!

Get yourself a shot gun licence then a shotgun and prowl the local farms,pigeons,pheasant and duck all makes for healthy eating

plus wandering about for few hours with 9lbs of gun over your arm and 2 or 3 lbs of cartridges in your bag are a good steady work out.

Grand work on the Crusader too Paul,it looks a damn good kit and one of the best lookers of British armor too.

I'm OK with hunting to eat, but I'd never shoot anything myself. My countryside forays usually involve 5-6 kg of camera, lenses, binoculars, tripod and spotting scope. :D 

• Like 4