I've previously drawn up a basic digital model of the Miles M.52 - scaled at 1/72.

Nothing very fancy but the overall shape is there. My 3D printer is a pretty basic (<£200) machine which doesn't really deal well with small detail so I had that in mind. Plan now is to take this design, refine and add detail s suitable for running off on a more sophisticated resin 3D printer which would be able to cope with fine surface details and undercarriage.

So... as a first post here is the start point of my old model

The digital drawing:

48598846607_1d3dc693e6_b.jpg

First go at a kit of parts:

48687704392_e94545250a_b.jpg

With the result:

49451528767_a61a28e11b_b.jpg

I've also drawn up the 30% scale rocket version which was air launched from the Mosquito for unmanned test flights so I might as well have another go at that as well

Screenshot (21)

• Like 5

I've been fascinated by the concept of 3D printing ever since I knew it was a thing, so even though I haven't got any plans to get one yet, I'm very interested to see what they can do. I'm also interested in experimental aircraft – which makes this an ideal thread more me.

Any plans to get a resin printer yourself?

Nothing wrong with that.

Most modellers would be happy to buy it if that was their field of interest.

I've just re-read 'Winkle' Browns book on the saga.

Further comment held in check as it would get political 😡

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

I've previously drawn up a basic digital model of the Miles M.52

Excellent job - what software did you use to draw it, and what printer did you decide on?

8 hours ago, Gorby said:

Any plans to get a resin printer yourself?

Yes but no room for it at the moment so on pause till I sort out workshop space and ventilation. In the meantime I've linked up with a couple of people with access to one so I should be able to run these off when they're ready

7 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

all of those aircraft, cars etc that we've always wanted can now be ours

The trouble is that rather than haranguing Airfix etc. for not kitting everything on my personal wishlist I only have myself to beat-up

5 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Most modellers would be happy to buy it if that was their field of interest

I've managed to sell a couple so far even of the basic model and been impressed with what better modellers have made of them.

3 hours ago, Che Guava said:

Excellent job - what software did you use to draw it, and what printer did you decide on?

I used Fusion 360 (I started off with tinkercad but couldn't persuade it to do the compound curves I needed) on the hobbyist free license option. Really good tutorials and they've just added an engrave tool which should make adding panel lines etc. easier

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just downloaded it - wow! Like a free Rhino 3D on steroids. Amazing. Presumably it generates G-Code, so I'll be able to use it with my mill :). Tutorial no. 1 is very good - exceptionally clear! Thanks a million! Just what I have been looking for! :) :) :) Apologies for the multiple !s, but it really looks the bee’s knees!

Edited by Dr Loopy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr Loopy said:

Presumably it generates G-Code

I think it can but I’ve been exporting chunks of model as .stl files and then using the Cura slicer to manage the printer and create .gcode 

• Thanks 1

Fusion 360 does have a built in post processor if I remember rightly. It has outputs to various programs. We use it straight into Mach3 at work.

• Like 2

Do you mean the emboss tool Alistair, as I can’t see an engrave tool! If so it doesn’t work on compound curves, but there are ways of doing panel lines that are not too painful, although they can be a bit quirky at times.

rich

1 hour ago, Drichc said:

Do you mean the emboss tool Alistair, as I can’t see an engrave tool! If so it doesn’t work on compound curves, but there are ways of doing panel lines that are not too painful, although they can be a bit quirky at times.

rich

That’d be the one