Miggers

Slinking in with 092048,the 1975 Airfix 109E

Had a chat with one of those "who know" to get the info I needed to get from here:

20200630-161913-1.jpg

To here:

White-3-Hans-Joachim-Marseille-Libya-194

An early question for "those who know",cockpit interior,RLM 63 or 66?

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Rivets! Fahzands of 'em!

That was already mentioned when I spoke to one of the "cognoscenti"about these things Mr Brahn.He said

"Sayndpaypah awl them rivitts off aynd you're gud to gow. Oi biuwlt tit years agow,s'pritty gud shipe woise".

"Ow aynd yu'll afta foind anavva spinnah or fiwll the 'ole innit,these JG27 Norf Fafrica ones dint have the erley spinnah,

they 'ad the laytah one witch was smoove aynd dint 'ave a nole innit. Kontry to poplar beeleef,they din't evah 'ave

the Mowtah Kennon fitted,that wont antil the 'Eff model"

7 hours ago, Dr Loopy said:

Half-yellow spinner? Or was that a fairly serious typo? It looks white to me in that 3-view. Or have I gone completely colour-blind?

Spied that mesell Dok,my "tame" 109 man pointed it out too,white and Schwarzgrun it should be.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Miggers said:

That was already mentioned when I spoke to one of the "cognoscenti"about these things Mr Brahn.He said

"Sayndpaypah awl them rivitts off aynd you're gud to gow. Oi biuwlt tit years agow,s'pritty gud shipe woise".

"Ow aynd yu'll afta foind anavva spinnah or fiwll the 'ole innit,these JG27 Norf Fafrica ones dint have the erley spinnah,

they 'ad the laytah one witch was smoove aynd dint 'ave a nole innit. Kontry to poplar beeleef,they din't evah 'ave

the Mowtah Kennon fitted,that wont antil the 'Eff model"

Spied that mesell Dok,my "tame" 109 man pointed it out too,white and Schwarzgrun it should be.

I don't believe this I'm a time bandit and a Tame 109 man........ I've been called worse, No sniggering at the back please 

• Haha 2

On 02/09/2020 at 18:54, Grunhertz said:

I don't believe this I'm a time bandit and a Tame 109 man........ I've been called worse, No sniggering at the back please 

You're very presumptuous there my little BMW driver best mate.

I didn't mention any names,for all that the assembled audience know I could've meant Duncan "Och aye the noo" Black....

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 1

A few small steps peeps,a few small steps:

Flashwise,it's pretty clean.

20200903-191845-1.jpg

Cockpit and wheel wells painted(seat,head armor,floor/rear bulkhead.....they didn't go mad back then eh),

20200903-194551-1.jpg

Just got the I/P to daub in black and she can be buttoned up.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Bloody hell, repaint already. 

Yeah just the cockpit in 66 think of 02 as zinc chromate or raf interior grey green the pit had to be darker for the aircrew 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

Yeah just the cockpit in 66 think of 02 as zinc chromate or raf interior grey green the pit had to be darker for the aircrew 

Gotcha. 31(Dark Slate Grey) Is good for it with just a touch more green in it.

Not giving this little tinker too much love ATM,much AI Traffic testing on the Flightsim(72 Sqn Texans at RAF Valley)

and production of used callsigns,but as Jess suggested,I have done the repaint,repaint bit and painted the IP.

Now going to close up the fuse.and wings.

Pics the 'morrow.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Here we are  then,

20200930-120116-1.jpg

20200930_120108%5B1%5D.jpg

After conference with our 109 chaps, the undercart bays have been repainted.

The red you see is obviously filler,the nose piece was a bit gappy in fit plus there were a few sink marks needed filling.

I'm assuming that the rad. interiors are going to be Blue 65 with black or dull silver rad.cores,so once that's sorted,I'll get the

wings fitted and fettled before the rads themselves go on.

• Like 6

I'd go the wing sections of the rad baths in 65 with steel on the Rad faces but the interior of the Rad Baths I'd do in 02 looks great but those rivets!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

I'd go the wing sections of the rad baths in 65 with steel on the Rad faces but the interior of the Rad Baths I'd do in 02 looks great but those rivets!!! 

Ta.

The rivets will be going once the wing fit is sorted(stb'd fits great,port needs a whiff of filler).

They actually don't look too prominent,it seems the camera really bring them out,but the 109 series were

pretty much flush riveted,so they'll have to be reduced somewhat.

A shame really,they are pretty well done and nothing like some of the "eggs"on some older Airfix kits.

No wonder the 109 series performed well on less power than contemporary Allied fighters,they're small by comparison.

It's presently sitting beside a re-furbing Provost T.1 and a WIP Airspeed Oxford,it's actually slightly smaller than

the P.Prov and tiny compared to the Oxbox.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Typical late thirties thinking of putting the largest possible engine in the smallest possible airframe, giving the spitfire and 109 both designed for short range work so not a lot of fuel, then when you look at the Mustang its the right size airframe with the right engine 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Typical late thirties thinking of putting the largest possible engine in the smallest possible airframe, giving the spitfire and 109 both designed for short range work so not a lot of fuel, then when you look at the Mustang its the right size airframe with the right engine 

Yes.

I wonder how the late 109's would've actually fared if the DB605 had the capability to turn out the power of the Griffon 65.

I know some of the lack of power was down to fuel quality,but I still wonder.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 18:07, Grunhertz said:

to be honest both were past their best by 43 

Fortunately or unfortunately(depending on what you were flying)quite true.

A shame really,the DB engines are superbly engineered and built,plus they sound great.

I bet if you put one on good old 150 octane instead of the "weasel pee"they run the modern fighters on

you'd see a good jump in power.

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Fortunately or unfortunately(depending on what you were flying)quite true.

A shame really,the DB engines are superbly engineered and built,plus they sound great.

I bet if you put one on good old 150 octane instead of the "weasel pee"they run the modern fighters on

you'd see a good jump in power.

If they weren't worried about engine life youd see a huge increase in performance 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

If they weren't worried about engine life you'd see a huge increase in performance 

I know what you mean,if a Merlin,Griffon,Allison or P&W goes pop it's pretty easy to replace it,not so with a DB,

there are no where near as many about(museums would soon be full of knackered ones).

I remember when Black 6's engine was stripped and checked over by Rolls's at Derby(back in the late 80's mind)they reckoned the crankshaft  was in perfect condition and "lifed"it at 150 hours(or something like that).

They also said that it was a good job it was in such good condition because they(Rolls)couldn't produce a new one machined to such tight tolerances!!!.

Probably today is a different set of circumstances,but of course,you've got to have a reasonable crank to resurface,regrind and balance to start with.

How much power a "modern"DB puts out on 100LL Avgas I don't know,but I'd imagine that todays 100LL is a better quality fuel than the German wartime synthetic coal derived stuff.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3