Gorby

Matilda and I – a relationship rekindled.

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

They have boiling water in Canada!!! Well holy crap batman 😬

Yes, but sometimes not for very long...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Getting down and dirty with Matilda.

I've always thought it's an odd hobby when you complement someone’s rust and wash things to make them dirty. I know there are those who don't hold with using washes, but I like them and I think we can agree, that's what counts. I'd rather enjoy myself than be right – unfortunately the judge didn't see it that way. I'm happy to listen to the dissenters, but please remember to wake me up when your finished.

I'm fully aware that deserts are quite dusty and contain a reasonable amount of sand – meaning Mr. Mad's sandy coloured mist coat would have been more appropriate. I didn't do that – partly because I just didn't want to, and partly because I want to play with ideas for weathering a somewhat more ambitious project. Washes it is then.

There is no way I'd buy a wash when I can make it myself – that'll be a waste of money that I could use on sensible things, like whisky or chocolate. As I paint with acrylic, I use oils for my washes, most of which I've bought from Hobbycraft when they are reduce to about a quid each. The Titanium White is about forty years old and is still fine. I found it when clearing my dads house and I know the last time he used oil paints, was when he build ships in bottles when I was a kid. No need to worry about its use by date when the likelihood is that it'll last longer than you. The turps is quite pricey, but lasts ages. This is the mix for a sandy coloured wash for this build. I ended up with oceans more than I needed for probably about 10p rather than the £4 plus for the bought stuff.

IMG_2431.JPG

The following photos are a bit of a waste of time as the effect of the washes doesn't show up very well. I'll inflict them on you anyway.

First up, grubby wash – a dark greyish/browny/oily mess. Just to make the details stand out and banish 'newness'.

IMG_2433.JPG

The only washes I've ever bought are these Mig rust washes – which I have to admit are rather good. I struggled to mix a believable rusty colour and bought these with the intention of using them to perfect a home brew version. As I said, the effect doesn't really show up in the pics – must be because it's dead subtle.

IMG_2435.JPG

Next was new one on me. I recently bought some 'effect pencils from a notorious plastic pusher who is know to loiter in this vicinity – keep a close eye on your wallet. This one is quite effective to make edges look worn. I won't be buying any more AK Interactive stuff after they thought it was acceptable to use both the nazi and Rwandan genocide to sell their stuff – if you're looking for the best effect for scratches on shower walls there isn't any hope for you.

Finally I used the sandy wash I made earlier, to splash it all over with all the grace and delicacy of a five year old on a sugar-rush (the tub I mixed it in was useless so I bottled it instead).

IMG_2438.JPG

Oh yes, and to glue on a bit that broke off. There's always one bloody bit that breaks off.

Thanks for tagging along and I hope to get the final pics in the gallery later today. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Pics of the final build are now in the GB gallery.

My has she grown – 1/48th now. My childhood Airfix Matilda was 1/76 although she didn't seem small at the time. Of course I've increased in size by about the same ratio so this Matilda feels about the same size.

Matilda+6.JPG

• Like 6

On 09/09/2020 at 05:32, Mad Steve said:

They have boiling water in Canada!!! Well holy crap batman 😬

Bit like we have ice in Orstrilia. Ridgey didge, mate!

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2020 at 00:27, Gorby said:

I know there are those who don't hold with using washes, but I like them and I think we can agree, that's what counts.

When Oi were a lad I served my term I used the contents of the turps brush-cleaning jam jar -usually a ‘orrible murky dark colour. Worked a treat.

Triffic job, @Gorby - scrumptious!

PS looks as though the TC has been on the turps... 🧥 🚪

Edited by Dr Loopy
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dr Loopy said:

Bit like we have ice in Orstrilia. Ridgey didge, mate!

Well Holy Crap Batman again... I had no idea Doc you were a fellow upside down part of the worlder :) 

• Like 1

Yes - as upside down as an upside down fing, that’s me! On the other hand - how do we know that it isn’t that other lot wot’s upside down instead :hrhr:.

• Haha 2

If the Northern wussies were actually upside down, some nut job would be offended and it would end up with some or other statue being removed 😬

• Confused 1

Does that mean that equatorial bods is standing sideways* (scratches head) :rofl:

* With or without statuesque poses

Edited by Dr Loopy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

I remember when you used to get a free toy with a small packet of cereal!

Yeah but nobody had been cruel enough to invent muesli in those days.

Bloody hell @Gorby I didn't know you could get industrial sacks of Alpen from Tescos 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I remember when you used to get a free toy with a small packet of cereal!

Those were the days. I think they stopped doing them as it was easy for some (generally the gormless) to mistake a blue plastic spaceman with cornflakes (other flakes are available, as are spacemen)

Edited by skwonk
  • Haha 3