Nobody Significant

Airfix 1/72nd Handley Page Victor K.2/SR.2 Decal(s)

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have spare decals from the above kit (A12009) please?  I completely messed-up decal number 18 (one of the two "long lines") - it tore and then folded-up against itself.  So just decal number 18 would be great if poss, although spares of others would also be fantastic, as I am sure to mess-up the other "long line" (decal no.13) knowing me.  I am willing to pay actual money if needed....?

THANK YOU

Gray

Update:  I managed to get decal 13 (the same "long line" on the starboard side) to go down perfectly - by cutting it into four parts!  So it's just decal number 18 I need.

Edited by Nobody Significant
Additional info added.

On 29/08/2020 at 11:53, Paul Brown said:

You could try contacting Airfix parts and spares requests

Already reached out to Airfix spares dept.  Did that the day the problem occured.  But with Covid, the automated reply/confirmation said it could be up to 2 weeks before I hear back!  And that was just for a response, not saying what the response might be (positive or negative).  I have also attempted to join the IPMS UK decal bank forums, but am waiting for my registration to be approved, which could be weeks (as it was for this site for example).  So again, I'm not holding my breath.

Just got approved on the IPMS UK forum site.  So have posted my request there as well now.  Still have my fingers crossed that Airfix themselves might come through, but the timescales their automated reply bot quoted mean I might not know for a couple of weeks...

Also. FYI to anybody interested [sic]:  Decal number 18 is only required if you are building variants A or B in the box (those with the camo schemes).  Decal number 18 is surplus to requirements if you have built, or are intending to build, variant C (the desert sand coloured variant)....  Just saying....  😉

Edited by Nobody Significant
Additional info added.
  • Like 1

Have just found somebody on evil-bay that built variant C (see above) and has ALL the decals for variants A&B for sale.  The complete set...!!!  Loads of spares.  Only £4-ish.  The bad news, they are in the States, so it's £18 in postage!  Plus the time to get here....  Question/advice:  should I go for it, or wait on Airfix?  What do people think?  Anybody had any experience in getting spare decals out of Airfix direct?

😡😣😭

Finally got a reply from Airfix:  NO.  It's an "out of production" kit, so no spares of any kind.  So I have had to order those spares I found in the USA on evil-Bay.  £25 including "priority shipping".  OUCH!

That unfortunately is modern Airfix  in a nutshell, the days of spares are now long gone im afraid I had a feing that may be your answer. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

That unfortunately is modern Airfix  in a nutshell, the days of spares are now long gone im afraid

Mate, I have to take issue with that, it's simply not true. I'd wager that a very high proportion or requests are fulfilled satisfactorily, but the spares service is no longer a bottomless pit that must have represented a huge on-cost to previous managements. 

6 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Mate, I have to take issue with that, it's simply not true. I'd wager that a very high proportion or requests are fulfilled satisfactorily, but the spares service is no longer a bottomless pit that must have represented a huge on-cost to previous managements. 

i recognise what you say paul, and I understand that you can't keep spares for everything but a decal Sheet? For the record I don't blame Airfix for this but it's certainly not the service it used to be, 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

i recognise what you say paul, and I understand that you can't keep spares for everything but a decal Sheet?

The decal sheet is one of the most expensive items they chuck in the box. That snippet is from a graphic designer who does the decals. I'd bet you a pound to a dollar that the decal run is pretty much in line with with the number of kits that get packed with minimal spares. Decal printing is very reliable now, that's even less incentive to print more than you actually need.

• Like 1

It's become a very expensive kit.  I think I've paid for the kit twice now, once for the actual kit, and the same again in PE and now spare decals...  Still, they're on their way.  So I can finally finish the kit when they arrive.  Watch for it in the Aircraft Gallery section.  👍