Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So Roden have announced and it's no great surprise after WNW went pop that they are going to start producing 1/32 ww1 kits again with a Spad, Sopwith 1 1/2 stutter and an Avro 504 to be getting on with, put me down for the Avro

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, they've identified a gap in the market! It's not like they're new to the game, Hannant's are listing 19 Roden WWI aircraft, plus six standalone engines. Out of those, nine products are on backorder.

 

I've got to be honest, I'm completely sceptical that this particular niche in the market is sustainable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Interesting, they've identified a gap in the market! It's not like they're new to the game, Hannant's are listing 19 Roden WWI aircraft, plus six standalone engines. Out of those, nine products are on backorder.

 

I've got to be honest, I'm completely sceptical that this particular niche in the market is sustainable.

Me too but it's not like thats the only thing that Roden Make they also do 1/48 and other subjects so while I say good luck to em I still want a bloody Quirk! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roden will be happy to be the main players in WW1 1/32 scale kits again after WnW demise. I should imagine they are quite happy that WnW raised the profile of the genre and are hoping there will be a bit of a bounce in sales for them. I have just brought in some Roden 1/32 WW1 kits to fill the gap so we'll see if there is any reaction.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really surprised me that WNW, having produced the gold-standard 1/32 scale replicas of most of the 'must have' big volume machines, that they didn't use the CAD files that they had already to produce the absolutely best, most accurate, most detailed, equivalent replicas in 1/48th and 1/72nd scale.  That would have put every single WNW kit (1/72) at the top of my list. What would they cost? I'd reckon for the sort of quality likely, that £22-27 (1/72) and £37-45 ((1/48) for average 2-seaters would have been easily achievable, and totally desirable to modellers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

that they didn't use the CAD files that they had already to produce the absolutely best, most accurate, most detailed, equivalent replicas in 1/48th and 1/72nd scale. 

Some time ago I was read something from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about, saying that unfortunately it isn't as easy as that. They said that the overall shape would be okay but everything else would need to be completely reworked and redesigned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gorby said:

They said that the overall shape would be okay but everything else would need to be completely reworked and redesigned.

I don't buy that excuse Mark!
Gimp is the only design programme I have and that is basic compared to the 3D design programmes WNW must have available, but even Gimp has a magic wand.

All they have to do is select the design and wave the magic wand at it and say, "Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!" and viola! 

Edited by Walrus
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Some time ago I was read something from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about, saying that unfortunately it isn't as easy as that. They said that the overall shape would be okay but everything else would need to be completely reworked and redesigned.

A friend who has a manufacturing company (making underwater pool lights) was having trouble accurately assembling his new LED lights. He got a jig made from his cad drawing digitally printed. Fairly complex shape - came out with stunning sharp edges and super curves. Interested, I spoke to the printer and asked about scaling. bloody show-off sent me samples of the jig at half scale and a tiny 10th scale! all he apparently needed to do was rescale the CAD drawing so the print out didn't clash with the maximum resolution of the 3d printer. The little one was amaaaaazing! 
They all took a long time to print though. but that was 3-4 years ago now.

I don't doubt there will be a bit of de-refinement to be done (eg, I always carve my 1/72nd scale scratch-built struts thicker because to scale they are just too fragile - bet you Airfix are sorry they didn't do that on their Tiger Moth!), but it will be mostly deleting detail from the CAD that is below safe resolution on the printer.

One thing that worried me about the whole model-building/3d printing thing.....when i told him about making kits that way, he said meaning to be helpful, "Why do you want it in bits? I CAN PRINT IT OUT ALL IN ONE PIECE"

Arghhhh!!!

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

when i told him about making kits that way,

I think the problem is with the fact that it is a kit i.e. the tolerances, material thickness and small parts becoming much much too small to be feasible, meaning that they have to be incorporated into other parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gorby said:

I think the problem is with the fact that it is a kit i.e. the tolerances, material thickness and small parts becoming much much too small to be feasible, meaning that they have to be incorporated into other parts.

Or made overscale which then throws out the fit of all the parts nearby, which also have to be overscale...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gorby said:

I think the problem is with the fact that it is a kit i.e. the tolerances, material thickness and small parts becoming much much too small to be feasible, meaning that they have to be incorporated into other parts.

I'm sure you're right, but I've also seen production 3d printings that fit together with tolerances that machining or conventional casting just couldn't approach.

Just to throw another spanner in your works (!) there are multijet machine with different colours and materials loaded - how about your model having pre-printed camouflage, roundels and serial numbers printed in!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

how about your model having pre-printed camouflage, roundels and serial numbers printed in!!

It's the end of modelling as we know it.* :crybaby:

 

* Again. :sleeping:

Edited by Gorby
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then again, when I got my first graphics PC* (at a tenth of the price of a Quantel Paintbox - look it up) 35ish years ago, it was £75k (when £75k was a lot of money!) had the biggest hard drive available (10 meg), and RAM so low I can't remember it now but it was just into double figures.

Now I'm sitting in front of an obsolete MacPro with oodles of RAM and two 4 terrabyte hard drives. Obsolete!

3D printing has a long way to go yet. Maybe instead of being posted a kit, we'll all have 3d printers and we'll just buy a file to print out on our kitchen table.

*for you nerds, it was an IBM AT.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorby said:

It's the end of modelling as we know it.* :crybaby:

Na....we'll just start whittling a Lancaster out of plastic clothes pegs - which will be digitally printed of course.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

 "Why do you want it in bits? I CAN PRINT IT OUT ALL IN ONE PIECE"

That'll dee me nicely, nee maer smegging about scraping seams, filling gaps or setting dodgy dihedral, just get the airbrush oot and bobs you're nanna, magic !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Some time ago I was read something from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about, saying that unfortunately it isn't as easy as that. They said that the overall shape would be okay but everything else would need to be completely reworked and redesigned.

This is correct. Details and parts breakdown that work in 1/32 will not necessarily work in 1/48 or 1/72 (and vice versa). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

This is correct. Details and parts breakdown that work in 1/32 will not necessarily work in 1/48 or 1/72 (and vice versa). 

Now, that is.

In five years time, every kit will come with a powerful magnifying glass so you can examine the fine detail engraved into the titanium-strength super-plastic because the resolution of the printer is now measured in microns per molecule.

Or something we can't even imagine having just now, like a Star Trek Communicator in the 1970s, or a pocket device containing ever music track you'll ever need, a phone that you carry about that even takes takes pictures of your lunch so you can send it to someone who won't even look at it.

Or Google

Or WhatsApp.

Can I remind everyone of this prediction: "One day there will be a telephone in every major city in the USA" - Alexander Graham Bell, c.1880.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"'I think there is a world market for about five computers' —Remark attributed to Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board of International Business Machines), 1943".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Che Guava said:

Now, that is.

Er, no, actually I think it's probably the case that in theory you could use parametric modelling software now, but it's only usually used for top end production engineering   solutions, not for things that are essentially toys. Also I'd question whether or not manufacturers even want to have to think about offering products in a multiplicity of scales. I can think of quite a few reasons why you wouldn't, but primarily manufacturers are much smaller and running on far fewer resources than we would imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jessie_C said:

"'I think there is a world market for about five computers' —Remark attributed to Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board of International Business Machines), 1943".

One of those five computers was used by Decca to run an algorithm to decide if some boys from Liverpool would be successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Walrus said:

One of those five computers was used by Decca to run an algorithm to decide if some boys from Liverpool would be successful. 

Well why not? They rose to popularity in Germany, and they chose to name themselves after an already popular German car. They couldn't lose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Er, no, actually I think it's probably the case that in theory you could use parametric modelling software now, but it's only usually used for top end production engineering   solutions, not for things that are essentially toys. Also I'd question whether or not manufacturers even want to have to think about offering products in a multiplicity of scales. I can think of quite a few reasons why you wouldn't, but primarily manufacturers are much smaller and running on far fewer resources than we would imagine.

I bow to your greater erudition... but would point out that 8 year olds are now given the 1970s equivalent of super-computers on which to play CandyCrush. There is no world-changing invention that the human race will not employ for inconsequential trivialities.  Or warfare.

Both of which neatly brings us back to plastic modelling, from which perhaps we should resist the urge to stray.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...