Sign in to follow this  
Grunhertz

BF110E

I guess that wasn’t too helpful but I have a few books on the Bf110 so can put a list together for you but from what I do remember the D sub variants could be very similar.

Duncan B

1 hour ago, BlackMike Models said:

I guess you are looking at converting a C/D kit into an E? Which brand?

converting the Dragon C/D into an E for the desert group build It'll be an E2 because Revell the cheapskates never included the boat tail 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

converting the Dragon C/D into an E for the desert group build It'll be an E2 because Revell the cheapskates never included the boat tail 

Ok let me dig out my books and have a look. I don't suppose it states what D variant the kit is does it?

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models

35 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

Ok let me dig out my books and have a look. I don't suppose it states what D variant the kit is does it?

Duncan B

its a C3/7 but i've found the first stumbling block, the E has larger oil coolers that's gonna be an issue to start with 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

its a C3/7 but i've found the first stumbling block, the E has larger oil coolers that's gonna be an issue to start with 

(Pre F series) Bf110 variant identifying is a bit of a minefield as a lot of the later parts were retro-fitted to earlier aircraft over time but only the E's had the air intake between the nose guns. That is in fact one of the only ways to positively ID a short tailed E compared to a late C-7 if armoured glass and pilot armoured head plate (another feature introduced on the E) were retro-fitted to C-7 (which quite often they were).There were internal and cockpit differences but more on them in a bit. Not all the E's had the larger oil cooler and trop air filters but later in production the shape did change to an oil cooler similar in shape to the Bf109F/G's. The pitot tube under the wing changed from a small L shaped part to a long tube fitted nearer the leading edge during the E production. The E's main wheels/tyres were bigger than the C and the D, the tail wheel was the same size as the D's and a scissor link first appeared on the E's tail leg (but got retro-fitted to many earlier versions later). In the cockpit of the E the Bordfunker's seating was changed from two seats to one larger seat that could swivel. The trough on the outside for the MG-15 was deleted on the E (but some earlier versions had that plated over). The rudders on all but the earliest E's had larger trim tabs but yet again this feature has been seen retro-fitted on earlier versions. Wing bomb racks became standard on the E. 

Here are a couple of photos from the Classic Publications Bf110C,D, & E book by Vasco and Estanislau that you might find helpful for your conversion.

IMG_7466_heic-338x450.jpg IMG_7467-600x450.jpg IMG_7468-600x450.jpg

Note both have the earlier pitot tube and oil coolers. The second photo shows an aircraft operating in N. Africa but no Trop kit fitted however it does have the long tail of the D.

Duncan B

On 01/08/2020 at 12:55, Grunhertz said:

just been watching Doogs build 

Meh.

If that Fly Hurricane is looking for a new home... :whistle: :)

1 hour ago, Paul Brown said:

Meh.

If that Fly Hurricane is looking for a new home... :whistle: :)

erm no its just not the sort of kit for a group build 

5 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

or just buy an Eduard Bf110E, I know where there is one going at a very nice price :pirate:

Duncan B

I've just sold all of my 48th scale 110's but if you have a dragon 1/32 E2 we may have a conversation 

well that wasn't too bad in the end, Sean at TopNotch is doing me some Codes for a 110E Trop from zg26 Horst Wessel and I twisted John at Aims models into selling me the relevant bits from one of his F/G conversions for the Nose, wheels and oil coolers, 

On the minus side its also cost me for a C4-6 conversion for my 1/32 JU88! oops 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

well that wasn't too bad in the end, Sean at TopNotch is doing me some Codes for a 110E Trop from zg26 Horst Wessel and I twisted John at Aims models into selling me the relevant bits from one of his F/G conversions for the Nose, wheels and oil coolers, 

On the minus side its also cost me for a C4-6 conversion for my 1/32 JU88! oops 

Nice to have friends in high places eh :)

Duncan B