7 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

😁 compared to that R1, my CX 500 was a tractor 😁😁

Compared to anything they were a tractorB|.

My old mate "Fruity" Pestell from BITD put straight through pipes on his,it didn't last long,it ran too hot due to a

weak mixture(caused by the straight thru pipes)on a plug and holed a piston.......

He though he'd get it to sound like Goat Hines's 750 Bonnie on it's straight thru's,but unlike Goat,he didn't re-jet it.:$

Edited by Miggers

Well how dare you 😁 unlike your yahoo redneck friends i left mine unmolested. i put over a 100k kilometers on it before i traded it for a GSX 1100 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

Well how dare you 😁 unlike your yahoo redneck friends i left mine unmolested. i put over a 100k kilometers on it before i traded it for a GSX 1100 

Fruity was used to wild 'strokers like Suz PE's and Yam IT Enduro bikes that would pull a wheelie at will with ease.

So he tried it with that CX 500,have you ever seen anyone pull a wheelie with a Beemer Boxer,a Moto Guzzi V-twin or

even a CX 500,no? that's because the crank turns length ways to the frame not across it like a normal engine,so instead of

the torque reaction helping to lift the front wheel,it tends to tip the bike sideways....................as Fruity discovered.

Much to the amusement of the assembled audience.

• Haha 2

😁 good fun hey 

you can also drill out the centres of the ten circular nuts on the front brakes too if you have any life left in your fingers 

• Like 1

@Mad Steve this build is fantastic, I'm loving it today was the swingarm and rear wheel tyre

Rear shock and brake servo

20200730_180552.thumb.jpg.594266e4dbedec9df2c6b983a7be2f21.jpg

Chain and sprocket 

20200730_180556.thumb.jpg.b130473be532b2b1146a70d67bf015b0.jpg

Rear Caliper 

20200730_180603.thumb.jpg.f63f761245a34efb5dd6b69a1ad2f9ef.jpg

Rear wheel 

20200730_180544.thumb.jpg.cb7dc5f4b0264f3319a466e22b80d7b9.jpg

Swing arms 

20200730_180610.thumb.jpg.6eed6ff500b948cfe755cea9bfa5ab27.jpg20200730_180606.thumb.jpg.3d368e13e6774fd1edfb5d24c7269d98.jpg

And all of it together 

20200730_184744.thumb.jpg.87f897372bdc6f884297b4d92ea9b042.jpg20200730_183635.thumb.jpg.4e19d01375ed1a74ac4caa3d38491a4a.jpg

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

very nice indeedy 😁

good fun these little scooters hey 

yeah they are brilliant 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 04:11, Mad Steve said:

😁 compared to that R1, my CX 500 was a tractor 😁😁

It also had two less cylinders and probably a heavier frame 😬

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 04:18, Miggers said:

Compared to anything they were a tractorB|.

My old mate "Fruity" Pestell from BITD put straight through pipes on his,it didn't last long,it ran too hot due to a

weak mixture(caused by the straight thru pipes)on a plug and holed a piston.......

He though he'd get it to sound like Goat Hines's 750 Bonnie on it's straight thru's,but unlike Goat,he didn't re-jet it.:$

Oops

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dr Loopy said:

It looks like a real bike! Brings back memories of stripping bikes right down and rebuilding...happy days 😃

Its not me its Tamiya i just poured some extra thin into the box and gave it a shake oh and drilled over a hundred bloody holes 

• Haha 4

Today was front end and I still have some bits to do here but generally I'm now girding my loins for the bit I'm dreading, the fairings and body work, because if i screw that bit up the whole thing looks awful, and the one thing I've always struggled with is getting a gloss finish, so with that in mind I experimented today with air pressures and thinning and I think with the red anyway I'm there or thereabouts, so a TopNotch Pro 1 Trigger airbrush at 15 PSI with a 50/50 mix of Tamiya X7 gloss red thinned with Gunze Mr Levelling thinners gave me this today, BUT i really had to play Russian roulette with it. 

20200802_110733.thumb.jpg.0560829a8ad446edbd93577c62cecf95.jpg

What I did was spray some thin coats to build up the colour then the final coat went on WET and By wet I mean about an inch and a half to two inches away and the paint was going on wavy just a Gnats away from running, I then left it for a good few hours before touching it or going near it, 

So onto the forks, I sanded the Chrome off the stantions and polished with some 6000 grade micromesh, then sprayed Tamiya X31 Titanium gold onto them I then brush painted the calipers (I still have to paint the piston covers Metallic blue. fitted the throttle cables and screwed the whole lot to the front end then discression being the better part of valour I stopped for the day and left it at that. 

20200802_180625.thumb.jpg.2dfea848b3ece15ce192b62a155fa667.jpg20200802_180639.thumb.jpg.76ae2b393d7bbe9631202a6be1cb00c4.jpg

Next Detail the last of the forks and put the brake reservoir and tubing in put the crown nut on then start the prepwork on the fairings 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

I'm struggling to put into words how much fun this kit is and how well engineered it is 

without using rude words 😁

• Haha 1

On 02/08/2020 at 19:40, Grunhertz said:

BUT i really had to play Russian roulette with it. 

Russian roulette or not, you dodged the bullet and came up trumps. Very impressive result. I’ll have a go at your method one of these days although it recently dawned on me that I don’t have any gloss paint in my possession.

Your progress here is a pleasure to watch.

Thanks

Paul

I actually owned this bike in this exact paint scheme. Best bike I ever owned! It used to eat Fireblades for fun over Denbigh Moor. I sold it to finance a wedding, biggest regret of my life. Should have kept it and sold the ex. I tried buying another one two years ago. The price of the original R1's in good condition is shockingly high. 

Great build by the way.

• Like 1

cheers Nige I do remember having a go on my mates, years ago and finding that the shortish wheelbase with poor shock loading tended to put me into Highside territory damn quick (probably why i ended up buying the Mille instead) but by god it was one quick bike 

A steering damper was a must. I rode it three or four times without one and each time I had massive tank slappers powering out of corners. Best bike ever, though my current bike a Triumph Daytona 955 is a pretty close second.

If were you, and it's merely a suggestion. Get some carbon fibre decal sheet and cover the front mudguard. No self respecting R1 owner ever left the standard one on. Carbon fibre made the front a bit lighter for showing off and looked a lot better.

• Like 1