Hi Guys,

I do not normally start a new project before the previous one is finished (long story), but that doesn't stop me thinking about what my next project might be....  So with that in mind...

I am think that maybe, MAYBE, my next project MIGHT be an RAAF Mustang as a little homage to my dear old Dad, who was an armament fitter in the RAAF 1948-58.  I know he worked on Mustangs, although I have no details on specific squadrons etc, except that he was never in Korea, but stayed in Aussie-land.  I also know that he spent a fair chunk of his time at the Air Armaments School in Sale NSW.  So putting 2 and 2 together, and possibly coming up with 5, I figure that I could do a Mustang from the Sale Air Armaments School.....

Was thinking to use the new-ish 1/48th Eduard kit as the base:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-82102-p-51d-mustang--1196280

Or is the Airfix kit a better option?  Engineering and fit would be my primary concern; especially since it would have to be in BMF of course, so any flaws would stand out a mile...

Either way, I'm wouldn't bother going to go to town making much, if any, mods to the kit just to get that one antenna correct or whatever - I'm too lazy to be a rivet counter (and I started a whole other thread on that subject).

But I especially wondered about decals?

Can anybody point me to any available to buy decals that might be appropriate?

Cheers

Gray

Edited by Nobody Significant
typo

Thank you.

I also found this:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hamilton-hobbies-hhd-02-royal-australian-air-force-cac-p-51-mustang--1193733

Which definitely includes a Sale Air Armament School scheme, but I am struggling to find any supplier who actually has a set in stock?  That seems to be the crux of the problem.

Any other possibilities?  Am open to other squadrons as long as they were Australia-based, not overseas, in the 1948-58 period.  Likely Dad would have worked on one of them at some point.

I think that you could make the markings using generic roundels and serials .

I will scan an old book I have. It has about 3 pages of post war RAAF Mustangs.

I'll do this later this evening if you wish.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

I'll do this later this evening if you wish.

Thank you, but absolutely no hurry whatsoever!  At the speed I make models, I am weeks away from finishing my current build; and as I said, I don't normally like to start a second project when one is still on-going.  Knowing me how I do, I know I would never get back to the first project if I did that...

😉

typo

22 hours ago, BradG said:

Thank you!

Ordered!

Although the S&H from down-under was more than the bloomin' decals!  And that was by the slowest method offered.....

Now I just have to get around to buying the kit (and finishing my current build)...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nobody Significant said:

Thank you!

Ordered!

Although the S&H from down-under was more than the bloomin' decals!  And that was by the slowest method offered.....

Now I just have to get around to buying the kit (and finishing my current build)...

It might have been better to canvas Dr Loopy(he lives down there)to acquire 'em and then post 'em on?

• Like 1

I can't help with the decals but I can say that the Eduard P-51D is the way to go. It has heaps of optional parts in the box so probably has everything you would need. 

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I can't help with the decals but I can say that the Eduard P-51D is the way to go. It has heaps of optional parts in the box so probably has everything you would need. 

Duncan B

Kit now ordered from Black Mike Models...

Watch for it on the aircraft build pages.  Eventually.  When I finish my Victor.  

😉

typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nobody Significant said:

Watch for it on the aircraft build pages.  Eventually.  When I finish my Victor.  

😉

Good stuff, you got the last one. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I’m enjoying building mine (so much so, I paid my own money to buy another one from Eduard!).

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nobody Significant said:

😉

You got sucked in there Nosignif.

Watch him,he's very predatory.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Good stuff, you got the last one. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I’m enjoying building mine (so much so, I paid my own money to buy another one from Eduard!).

Duncan B

Cool.  I’ve had a gander at your build, and I can say for sure that mine won’t be anywhere near as good as yours is looking.  

Plus being the lazy so-and-so that I am, I certainly won’t be bothering to do all the wing rivet/seam filling and sanding etc...  OOB may not be 100% accurate in that respect, but that’s far too much like hard work for my tastes.  I have a serious aversion to filling and sanding and only do it where absolutely necessary!  So you have my admiration at taking all that effort!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nobody Significant said:

Plus being the lazy so-and-so that I am, I certainly won’t be bothering to do all the wing rivet/seam filling and sanding etc...  OOB may not be 100% accurate in that respect, but that’s far too much like hard work for my tastes.  I have a serious aversion to filling and sanding and only do it where absolutely necessary!

A modeller after my own heart! xD

TBH I've never bothered, though I may do one of these days.  
My P-51s are 1/72 kits so at least there's a bit less filling and sanding to be done 

On 18/07/2020 at 15:55, BlackMike Models said:

Duncan B

Kit, PE, masks, and decals (all the way from down-under) have all now arrived.  Now I just need to finish the old Victor, and I can think about starting work on my humble tribute to my late Father.  And yes, I have this weekend actually made some progress on the Victor.  Pics in the "Aircraft In Progress" section in due course.  As I type this, I am just letting the paint dry before I remove the masks and see how my camo came out...  Ulp!  The most nerve-wracking bit...!

• Like 2