Gorby

A very civil Tilly.

Let me introduce you to Tilly.

Tilly looks so cute, I didn't want to do a military version, so I've done it as something that a tradesman may have used in the 50's or 60's. 'Jack' was my dad. He didn't have a Tilly, but that's only in this imperfect reality. It isn't intended to be an actual representation of a real vehicle, it's more 'in the spirit of', in the memory of the army of tradesmen who put all the war scarred countries back together.

I know there has been endless debate about whether or not there were any Austin Tillys in the RAF. Even if you are someone who spends all their free time tracing the every Tilly built, and still insist there were never any Austin Tillys in the RAF – I don't care. But if that really is your hobby, thanks for making us modellers look like we are doing something worthy with our time in comparison. My Tilly is ex RAF war surplus, hence the main colour. I've seen photos these old vehicles with some body parts painted in whatever paint was available, over the panels that showed signs of it's previous life.

There have been many people who have been very forthright in their views that I never had a father, I honestly did. This is my dad (in his National Service gear) – although I knew him when he was in colour.

Tilly+0.png

Yes, I did inherit my dads looks - I keep them in a box in the loft. He was an electrician and invented the electric blanket… sort of. As his car didn't have a heater, he rigged up a heated pad for the seat. It worked well for a few weeks until it caught fire. Rather that earn millions he ended up with a scorched behind, which pretty much sums up my family. He died in 2017 aged 81 and I still miss him, even though he was a miserable old bugger. He may not have set the world alight with his electric blanket (just a few scorch mark on his bum), but he virtually invented social distancing. Shame he didn't last long enough to see it become popular.

Tilly+1.JPG

I know the cable on the reel in the back is overscale, but I wanted to use it because was from a wooden reel of silver wire he used in the 1950's and 60's, that I found in his shed when he died.

Tilly+2+%2528copy%2529.JPG

The lettering is done free-hand with a white Uni Posca pen – it didn't have to be perfect, knowing my dad he would have painted it himself in this particular alternate reality. His granddad was a signwriter and coach painter, and besides that, he was tight careful with his money.

Tilly+3.JPG

Tilly+4.JPG

I added the rear cab wall and number plates.

And Tilly shown posing with my last build:

Tilly+5.JPG

Thanks for having a ganders. It was a fabulous kit which I recommend.

Edited by Gorby
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Mad Steve said:

Gorbs, seriously, that looks fantastic. Very nicely done indeed and a very nice story to go with it

Thanks mate. It really is an excellent kit, It was one of my most enjoyable kit builds ever and has encouraged my to by some other kits (when they arrive from our resident pirate, I'll put them on the 'Jealous' thread).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

I always like the wee stories that go with your builds.

Thanks Richard. It's almost like I've had an interesting life (if I did, I think I must have slept though most of it :sleeping:).

Edited by Gorby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Invictaag said:

Nice one Mark, a great tribute to your late Dad.

Thanks very much Andy.

3 hours ago, DC3 said:

Did you ever get to ride in it or was it before your time?

????

I said in the blurb that it never really existed, and even if there was an alternate reality where it did, I would have been many years removed. 

Dad's eh,couldn't always see eye to eye,but my word,when they go they leave a massive hole don't they?

Mine shuffled off his coil in 1997 and I still miss him 23 years later.

His name was Lawrence or Lol to his mates and my Mum.

I still have some of his bits and bobs knocking about,sometimes when I'm DIY bodging(I hate DIY,Dad was a dab hand)

I still feel like grabbing the phone and saying "Dad,how do I do this?".

He wasn't in the RAF,Navy or Brown Jobs,but he was an old school builder/plumber/plasterer/brickie/chippie,he could turn his hand

to all sorts of things,it's his fault I love flying machines and modelling them.

Austin A30/A35's eh,yep,he had an A30(the earliest car I can just about remember he had)and in the '70's he had a 

mid-blue A35 van that was his "run-about"amongst various other cars "for best"he had.

He learned me to drive in that A35 van. Good old Dad.

What a beauty that Tilly is,I've always had a bit of a spot for Tillies in any guise.

Yours reminds us of our Dads,which must be good.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Miggers said:

Dad's eh,couldn't always see eye to eye,but my word,when they go they leave a massive hole don't they?

My dad wouldn't have won any 'best dad' competitions, but we grew a lot closer in the last decade or so. We ended up more like friends and similar to you, I occasionally still think 'I'll tell dad that'. The A30 in the first photo was his dads car, but he was allowed to borrow it whenever he wanted. That was the car he used to elope to Edinburgh with my mum, because they weren’t old enough to get married in England without their parents consent (my mums parents objected). His first car was an Austin 7, but that was long before they were blessed with the most fab offspring ever.

I'm please you like Tilly, it's turned out better than I expected.

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2020 at 17:28, Gorby said:

He died in 2017 aged 81 and I still miss him,

My blessed father passed away in 2016 aged 88, and I miss him every day!  Just typing this is making me "well-up".....

I keep trying to think of ways to honour his memory.  He was an armaments fitter in the RAAF 1948-58, was posted to several units all over Australia in his time, and had tales of bombs, guns, and turrets that I can still (mostly) remember to this day, and that would make any modern Health & Safety-conscious person weep!  I wish I had written them all down!  I could have a book?  If anybody is interested, he worked on the following aircraft (in no particular order):

• North American P-51D Mustang (Dad called it: "the armourer's dream")
  • Avro Lincoln
  • Bristol Beaufighter
  • De Haviland Mosquito
  • Consolidated PBY Catalina
  • Lockheed P-2 Neptune
  • Gloster Meteor
  • De Haviland Vampire
  • North American F-86 Sabre
  • English Electric Canberra
Edited by Nobody Significant
Added aircraft
  • Like 4

On 02/07/2020 at 08:57, Nobody Significant said:

My blessed father passed away in 2016 aged 88, and I miss him every day!  Just typing this is making me "well-up".....

I keep trying to think of ways to honour his memory.  He was an armaments fitter in the RAAF 1948-58, was posted to several units all over Australia in his time, and had tales of bombs, guns, and turrets that I can still (mostly) remember to this day, and that would make any modern Health & Safety-conscious person weep!  I wish I had written them all down!  I could have a book?  If anybody is interested, he worked on the following aircraft (in no particular order):

• North American P-51D Mustang (Dad called it: "the armourer's dream")
  • Avro Lincoln
  • De Haviland Mosquito
  • Consolidated PBY Catalina
  • Lockheed P-2 Neptune
  • Gloster Meteor
  • De Haviland Vampire
  • North American F-86 Sabre
  • English Electric Canberra

I reckon with your talents Nosignif,you'd turn out a pretty good tribute to your Dad from anyone of those a/c's.

I'd be pleased to help you out with any research you care/need to do to pin something down that he worked on.

There's a ten year window,in my experience,that makes things easier.

Edited by Miggers
  • Thanks 1