Mad Steve

TAMIYA MOTO GUZZI V10 CENTAURO

Well then....

For a Group Build you need something special, so it was a toss up between a Ducati 900SS or a Moto Guzzi....

Obviously, it has to be a Moto Guzzi

20200625_163007.thumb.jpg.d9f7d6a53ac3a4bbab6ec4b55f20e43d.jpg

In my opinion, this is the best bike Tamiya have done, and it is an absolutely stunning machine, so no contest really... 

I shall be building the bike just as it is on the box, and straight out of the box, adding only some different engine piping. 

Roll on Monday :) 

EDIT - I forgot to add the 'lookie in the box' photo 

20200628_133712.thumb.jpg.9e0322deaf45bc083717d6a1939434ae.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

It id quite a biggie 

Said the barmaid who had a cold to the bishop 

• Haha 5

Woohoo GroupBuild :) (Bouncybouncybouncybouncybouncybouncybouncy) 

Okay then

Early this morning I sprayed the two runners with Tamiya white primer. The word early may alarm some of you, clearly not Mrs Mad, as she commanded I go and light the fire and make coffee. (Don't worry, we're not like the people in the Save Africa envelopes using open fires, its a swish wood burner and its bloody freezing here) (for our Canadian friends, bloody freezin here is still shorts and T shirts for you :)) Anyway, I digress....

After doing the dailys, I sat down and put the engine casing together, cylinder heads, and a few other bits...

20200629_161516.thumb.jpg.354eb4ad7f976e8d3d1159196f0a1473.jpg

All these bits need to be a mix of X10 Gun Metal and XF 16 Aluminium. (The Aluminium needs to be mixed and stirred really well or it ends up looking like unicorn poop) 

They were sprayed and put aside. 

The top of the cylinder heads were next, and they were painted with Lacquer LP20 Light Gun Metal  

20200629_163154.thumb.jpg.3206f14a3aa110b28a7933e2d9696c30.jpg

If you have never tried the lacquer paints, then now's the time. If you decant Tamiya's Rattle cans, then this is exactly the same paint. They thin just peachy with lacquer thinners, and some people, me included, even spray them without thinning. You can also use Rattle can Clear over Lacquer paints. 

There were also about 6-8 other bits that were painted Semi Gloss Black, but they refused to have there photo's taken :) 

So that lots now sitting drying and early tomorrow will get clear coats, then we can do a bit of mild weathering on the engine. 

Lot of people don't do any weathering on bike kits, which is cool, but the bike will only look like that once really, in the showroom. Having owned many bikes, mine were never clean, Ok, the paintwork might have been shiny, but the worky bits certainly weren't, but this weathering is just like a wash of X-19 smoke, and it brings out the detail nicely.

That's it for now, basically sitting watching paint dry :)  

• Like 5

Afternoon Everyone :) 

Not much in the way of modelling done today because a) just couldn't be arsed & b) everything I touched today either broke, fell over, spilled on the floor, yep, one of those days.... 

So, what did I actually do...

I put the decals on the cylinder heads... (can you see them :)

20200630_154259.thumb.jpg.da13bd483b0a8ccd7ffdf73b8b47a3e0.jpg

Now, my phone camera REALLY make's things look like crap (its my makeitlooklikecrapometer). The Heads don't quite look like unicorn poop sparkly, but just in case, I have given them a coat of Semi Gloss Clear just to tone it down a bit. 

Ok then, I put the rest of the engine together as well

20200630_164939.thumb.jpg.47731066b2b43f2abebccd004640d1df.jpg

20200630_164928.thumb.jpg.f8c205d93ac9f6ef7ee1be84009932ca.jpg

I'm getting a bit fed up again with my makeitlooklikecrapometer because the engine looks a lot darker than it actually is, anyway, not to worry, tomorrow I will give it a little bit dry brush and a bit of a wash. :) (Maybe I should take photo's on a white background next time :)

That's me for today then, I'm off to make supper (Pork Espetada and Rice).... More hopefully tomorrow 

• Like 3

Looks good to me.

I don't know diddly-squat about cameras on phones, but if your's allows you to change the metering mode, try 'spot meter'. 

• Thanks 1

looks pretty damn good to me I'd say you just need more light our eyes change according to light levels but phones don't 

• Like 2

Afternoon Everyone :) 

Well I've done a bit....

I still feel like I just cant be arsed to do anything, so all I'm doing really is like a bit here and there and eventually it will all come out looking like a Bike :) 

Right then... Disc Brakes 

Always good to drill out the holes in the disc's, as you can see in the pic below...

20200702_112442.thumb.jpg.bebcbf1e7cccc21eec1c9747356ed81f.jpg

Once all of them are drilled I'll clean up the holes and touch up the paint

Next bit, the injectors. Everything painted up and the pipe fasteners put on with Aluminium tape. I'd usually use Bare Metal Foil but for some reason it has slipped into another dimension and will only re appear once this build is finished :) 

20200703_153743.thumb.jpg.35c762f988178e7b83eaab203e9fe2f2.jpg

And lastly for now, the frame and swingarm. Quite a simple box frame really, just cleaned up and glued, same with the swingarm and then it was all painted with X18 Semi Gloss Black, and once that had dried for 24 hours, it was coated with Semi Gloss Clear,

20200703_154225.thumb.jpg.7eb2df3bcd619c6d7bd98c2194101391.jpg

There's actually quite a lot in the paint shed now which will basically get me to the point of a frame, engine, swingarm and rear wheel assembled (possibly over the weekend) :) 

Bout it for now, time to get nosh on the go 

• Like 3

It amazing how drilling a few holes can make it look much more real. The 'after' wheel looks great.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 00:46, Mad Steve said:

Obviously, it has to be a Moto Guzzi

Be still, my beating heart! Although a Ducati would have been fine, too :D. Or a CX-500 :rofl:. Looking great!

Edited by Dr Loopy
  • Like 1

Helloooooooooooooooooooo :) 

I actually did something today, woohoo.... 

I connected all the bits up to the engine, and added the injectors to the back of the heads.

Now I said I was going to do a X-19 Smoke wash, but honestly I don't think its needed. What I might do is just give it a light dry brush with aluminium once its mounted in the frame.

20200704_111938.thumb.jpg.d37197ac01e7d4c00d763fbbc953f5df.jpg

Onto the frame... I added all the hard points and put it aside to dry. You might notice I haven't cleaned up the joint down the centre of the frame... Once its all together all you can see is the head of the frame. You might say, but I would know the seam is there, and you'd be right, I do know its there, and I don't care, so weh, brrrp! :) 

20200704_141334.thumb.jpg.1b63a8fb1e99725bf95b7431ad676b6b.jpg\

The swing arm was also all put together... sounds like it just all falls together, but it took me about 10 minutes to realise that the two sides of the swingarm are not the same, and once I'd actually put my glasses on I could sort it out :) 

Oh, before the wheel went it, I removed the mold line along the centre of the tyre. Just use a rough sanding stick and file it down, but remember that once you've done it just give the rest of the tyre a quick rub over too so that it basically all looks the same. If you wanted to bring a little more theatre to your tyres (I mean, who doesn't :)) you can dry brush a medium grey over them. Makes them stand out a bit if they look a bit dull after rubbing them down. You can also drybrush the sides of the tyres to make the lettering stand out.

20200704_141407.thumb.jpg.3340c962c31917da2ccff4b627b17f9a.jpg

And after all that, I attached the engine to the frame...

20200704_142215.thumb.jpg.3dec3e0bcda07a1490cfd5f0c001c979.jpg

A lot of these bikes have engines that are attached with mini screws and they can end up looking a bit out of scale. The easiest fix for this is just to paint the screws the same colour as the frame when they're installed. You could go the whole hog of using plastic rod instead of the screws, upto you :) 

That's it for today, off to make Lasagne :)  

• Like 4