Nobody Significant

Airfix 1/72nd Handley Page Victor K.2 (2020)

Airfix spares are VERY hit and miss lately they ended up sending me an entire 1/24 Hurricane kit because mine was missing a gunsight, are there any aftermarket decal sheets available that may be cheaper? 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Nobody Significant said:

Have just found somebody on evil-bay that built variant C (see above) and has ALL the decals for variants A&B for sale.  The complete set...!!!  Loads of spares.  Only £4-ish.  The bad news, they are in the States, so it's £18 in postage!  Plus the time to get here....  Question/advice:  should I go for it, or wait on Airfix?  What do people think?  Anybody had any experience in getting spare decals out of Airfix direct?

£18 for postage??? That is such a ripoff!

As someone who posts to the US regularly,  that is a large parcel, not an envelope, ut shouldn't cost more than $10/£7 for a card envelope. 

Why not contact the seller, and propose a revised mailing cost? 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

are there any aftermarket decal sheets available that may be cheaper? 

The only ones I've found so far are just the squadron markings etc, and don't include the generic stencils etc.

5 hours ago, Muttley said:

Why not contact the seller, and propose a revised mailing cost? 

I would, except I don't have an evil-bay account any more.  So I can't send "messages" direct via evil-bay.  I closed my account in protest after I got burned badly by a scammer - see this forum for details:

On 03/09/2020 at 11:10, Nobody Significant said:

The only ones I've found so far are just the squadron markings etc, and don't include the generic stencils etc.

I would, except I don't have an evil-bay account any more.  So I can't send "messages" direct via evil-bay.  I closed my account in protest after I got burned badly by a scammer - see this forum for details:

Don't hold your breath waiting for cheaper postage: I have a collector in the US and the prices have shot up at both ends since July 2020

https://www.theamerican.co.uk/pr/ne-US-Mailing-Price-Rises-July-1#:~:text=Royal Mail in the UK,by an average of 38%.

Re your decal woes, I regularly mask and spray walkway lines on 1/72 so consider masking the area you need (it looks complex but any craft cutter will make light work of it especially the rounded "rectangles), spraying white then applying a homemade yellow/black decal printed on clear decal film. If you haven't got a Silhouette or Cricut this would be good time to get one, it'll cut bleed proof vinyl ot Tamiya tape (sheet) camo masks in virtually no time for all your future builds as let you make custom canopy masks, I even made some for a 1/200 Vulcan...

48324254537_22a904805d_b.jpg

Decalling finally done, and panel-line & weathering wash complete (Flory Models dark dirt wash for anybody interested).  If it weren't for the one missing decal, I would slap some matt-varnish on this beast and call it a done-thing.

IMG-1595.jpg

Can you spot the missing decal below?  No prizes if you can...  🤪  I am still kicking myself over screwing up like that!

IMG-1596.jpg

The good news (I think) is that I spoke to somebody at Airfix and, although he couldn't be categorical, he thought my request for spare decal(s) was likely to be successful!  I just have to wait for the covid-delayed wheels to turn on the electronic request I put-in almost two weeks ago now.  Still keeping my fingers, and everything else, crossed.

Edited by Nobody Significant
typo
  • Like 2

Refueling pods now in place, and matt-varnish applied to the underside (It's too big to do all at once - even in 1/72nd-brail-scale).  Now I literally am just waiting on Airfix....!  So frustrating.  I can't take the window masks off until the upper-side matt-varnish is down, and obviously I can't do that until that one needed decal arrives.   Grrrrr.......

This weekend I'm cutting foam for the transport-box - the smallest "Really Useful Box" it will fit in is a 70L size!  It barely fits through the loft-hatch.

typo

4 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

So it will be going to shows then? 

Yes.  Sort off.  Under normal circumstances, the only show SWMBO normally allows me to attend is Telford (plus my local club of course).  But of course, this year there is no Telford.  However, even there, there is a definite hierarchy of who gets to show at Telford from my club.  If you're on the committee, or one of the "favoured few", then those people get definite priority on table space (long story!).  Of course, I am neither in the committee nor amongst the "favoured few" precisely because I am not allowed to attend many model shows.  So I am pretty far down the club pecking order on being allowed table space, which is at something of a premium at Telford anyway.  But finger's crossed it'll be there in November 2021.....

Separately, anybody want a 70L "Really Useful Box" BTW?  It's huge!  (exterior dimensions 81x62x23cm, interior dimensions 71x55x19cm, it does have a small chunk missing from the lid-lip (transport damage getting to me in the first place), but it's still perfectly serviceable)  I gave up with it for the simple reason it was too big to be practical.  I have made a more appropriately-sized (smaller) custom box for transporting (and storing) this kit by cannibalising two old cardboard boxes I had sitting around.  I currently have an appointment to take it to the "household waste recycling centre" (aka: "the dump") lunchtime on Tuesday 15th Sept 2020.  So if anybody wants it, please contact me before then.  FREE (but transport/postage might be an "interesting" question, unless you can collect from near me in Fareham Hampshire)!

Additional info added.

😡😣😭

Finally got a reply from Airfix:  NO.  It's an "out of production" kit, so no spares of any kind.  So I have had to order those spare decals I found in the USA on evil-Bay.  £25 including "priority shipping".  OUCH!

• Sad 1

I wish I could help, unfortunately I'm doing exactly the same bird... I just got to figure how much to enlarge the drawings for the camo...

Absolutely stunning model I think though. Well done sir!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winnie said:

wish I could help, unfortunately I'm doing exactly the same bird... I just got to figure how much to enlarge the drawings for the camo...

Recommendation 1:  Cut Decal's 13 and 18 into four parts.  1=The little "square" thing that goes around the vent, and cut-out the centre carrier film from the middle of the square; 2=The line that goes from the square up to the first "kink"; 3=The "Kinked" section around the wing-root reinforcing bar (and lay this one on the model first as your reference for where to place the others), 4=The section from the "kink" up to and including the 90-degree bend at the front.

Sorry can't help you with the enlargement, I did the exact same, but I did it by eye and I just don't remember now what the %age was.  Sorry.  I blame old age.  I measured the model wing-tip to wing-tip, then measured then drawing wing-tip to wing-tip, and then just did the maths; printed one, checked against the model, and then tweaked it 1% at a time until it looked right.  The "problem areas" are where the top-view of the fuselage bends down to meet the side-view of the fuselage - where you just have to guess and <<cough>> "wing it".

Currently waiting on my replacement decals from the States to eventually arrive.  So in the mean-time I am starting a new project.  Watch this space...  😉

Additional info added.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Winnie said:

Thank you! I will certainly follow your suggestion!

Glad to be of service.  I didn't cut up decal 18, which is why is screwed up, and hence me having this pain now.  But I did cut decal 13, (18's opposite number) as above, and it went perfectly first time.  You just have to be a little precise in aligning the parts, but if you cut the decal on the corners, then any slight mis-alignment doesn't show that much anyway.  Happy days, and Good luck!  Look forward to seeing it on these forums.  Maybe we can compare at Telford next year in person.....?

(I still think we need to get "BrexitModeller" logo badges made so we can recognise fellow forum members in the wild)

54 minutes ago, Nobody Significant said:

Glad to be of service.  I didn't cut up decal 18, which is why is screwed up, and hence me having this pain now.  But I did cut decal 13, (18's opposite number) as above, and it went perfectly first time.  You just have to be a little precise in aligning the parts, but if you cut the decal on the corners, then any slight mis-alignment doesn't show that much anyway.  Happy days, and Good luck!  Look forward to seeing it on these forums.  Maybe we can compare at Telford next year in person.....?

(I still think we need to get "BrexitModeller" logo badges made so we can recognise fellow forum members in the wild)

I can look into this 

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:24 AM, Nobody Significant said:

Maybe we can compare at Telford next year in person.....?

I'd love to come to Telford, unfortunately I reside in Canada. But I will bring it to a local show! and post pictures here once complete!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Winnie said:

unfortunately I reside in Canada

Don't apologise - it's a really beautiful country!

And you never know, once all the current craziness is over and done with, you may make it across the pond one day.....

• Like 1