Nobody Significant

Airfix 1/72nd Handley Page Victor K.2 (2020)

I started this a couple of months ago, but have done nothing for at least a month now.

I know....  I know....  I did tell you guys I was a slow builder.  It all depends on my "modelling mojo", which fluctuates wildly throughout the year.

I need to extract the proverbial digit from the proverbial orifice!

The intention is to build the 1982 "Operation Black Buck" variant as supplied in the box.  I love a nice camo-job.  I have added the Eduard cockpit PE set, and am using the Eduard masks out of sheer laziness, but that's it.  In all other respects this is an OOB build.  I'll add updates here as I (eventually) make them.

a12009-handley-page-victor-k2-sr2-box-fr

Drilled out the holes in the airbrake hinges.

IMG-1495.jpg

Was surprised at the amount of flash on such a recent new-tool kit.

IMG-1496.jpg

IMG-1501.jpg

IMG-1502.jpg

IMG-1503.jpg

Liquid gravity in the nose (both sides!) to stop it being a tail-sitter.

IMG-1504.jpg

Edited by Nobody Significant
  • Like 10

Hoo-hoo NoSignif,this looks very interesting.

A Black Buck Victor eh,great stuff.

A book you really need is "Vulcan 607"(if you haven't already),the planning/fuel bracketing all worked out on the

backs of fag packets(pretty much)it took just to get a single stick of 21 1000lb-ers to "cut" Stanley's runway and

the Withers crew/607 back to Ascension is nothing short of amazing in those pre-computer days .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Once saw someone on an aeroplaney programme describe the Victor as 'the most evil looking aircraft ever built.' That was in 1/1 scale though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Miggers said:

A book you really need is "Vulcan 607"(if you haven't already),the planning/fuel bracketing all worked out on the

backs of fag packets(pretty much)it took just to get a single stick of 21 1000lb-ers to "cut" Stanley's runway and

the Withers crew/607 back to Ascension is nothing short of amazing in those pre-computer days .

Seconded. A damn fine book to read, or just look at the pictures.

Good start to the build, Got one in the stash to do as Duxfords 57 Sqn XH648 (someday)

• Thanks 1

Made a little progress.  When it comes to pre-shading, it's a big aircraft!  Even in the tiny 1/72nd scale...

(that's an A3-sized cutting mat)

This also makes me wonder if I might have parkinson's my lines are so wobbly...

IMG-1543.jpg

• Like 7

On 18/06/2020 at 10:47, Nobody Significant said:

this is an OOB build. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 18/06/2020 at 10:47, Nobody Significant said:

Drilled out the holes in the airbrake hinges.

See..I knew you wouldn't just leave it oob.

I'll take a seat and watch if you don't mind.

I have this kit with the eventual aim to do an SR2 so I will unashamedly steal your ideas.

• Thanks 1

On 18/06/2020 at 11:49, Miggers said:

good book...read that a couple of years ago

as i remember didnt they need a valve for a vulcan refuelling probe to match the victors drogue but they had all been scrapped already.....then they found one being used as an ash tray in a crew room

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beowulf said:

good book...read that a couple of years ago

as i remember didnt they need a valve for a vulcan refuelling probe to match the victors drogue but they had all been scrapped already.....then they found one being used as an ash tray in a crew room

Absolutely spot on, they scoured the UK,wherever Vulcans had been detached to and museums that had recently acquired one too.

• Like 2

Underside done and looking good to my eye.  Now on to the epic masking job in readiness to start the camo.

When it's upside-down, got to be extra careful not to damage the refuelling probe that sticks out just above the cockpit - hence it's balancing on an old chinese takeout container.

IMG-1544.jpg

• Like 7

No new pics yet, but I have actually made some progress this weekend.  Don't all go fainting at once.  As I type this I am just waiting for the paint to dry before I remove the masking to see how my camo came out.  Ulp!  The most nerve-wracking time.

• Like 1

Underside masking was an epic in itself.

IMG-1545.jpg

And there it sat for several weeks until I could get my mojo together.  I eventually took an image of the paint scheme from the instructions in the box, and blew it up on the home MFD (aka: "printer") to model-size and then cut that up into templates for masking the camo.  Wasn't as successful as I would have liked, I had quite a lot of bleed-under, which I touched-up by hand, the end result below.  Believe me, it doesn't look nearly as good close-up!

Next steps are the clear-coat and decals.  I still have yet to paint any of the flaps, air-brakes, or gear-doors etc, and then after that is weathering and the final flat coat.  But I seem to actually be making a little progress at least.

IMG-1578.jpg

• Like 7

BU**ER!!!  I just screwed-up one of the decals.  Not something that can be ignored either.  Decal number 18 - one of the "long lines" that go over the top of the port wing.  The decal completely tore and folded-up on itself and no amount of trying could undo the damage.  I can continue with the decalling, but unless somebody (hint, hint, on knees praying) has a spare of that particular decal, this kit is never going to actually be "finished" as it were.

😡

I am seriously pi**ed off at myself!  I should have cut the darned thing into smaller sections before trying to apply it all in one go.  We live and learn.

I have sent a request to the Airfix Spares department, and also placed a request on the decals section of this site.  But I'm not hopeful.  And it was going so well...  

Ho hum.  90%+ complete, and it might get consigned to the shelf of doom?   Grrrrrr.....!

• Sad 1

On 30/08/2020 at 14:47, Nobody Significant said:

BU**ER!!!  I just screwed-up one of the decals.  Not something that can be ignored either.  Decal number 18 - one of the "long lines" that go over the top of the port wing.  The decal completely tore and folded-up on itself and no amount of trying could undo the damage.  I can continue with the decalling, but unless somebody (hint, hint, on knees praying) has a spare of that particular decal, this kit is never going to actually be "finished" as it were.

😡

I am seriously pi**ed off at myself!  I should have cut the darned thing into smaller sections before trying to apply it all in one go.  We live and learn.

I have sent a request to the Airfix Spares department, and also placed a request on the decals section of this site.  But I'm not hopeful.  And it was going so well...  

Ho hum.  90%+ complete, and it might get consigned to the shelf of doom?   Grrrrrr.....!

Can you print decals? I can have a check in my box and scan a set to you

9 hours ago, Muttley said:

Can you print decals? I can have a check in my box and scan a set to you

Thank you very much for the offer.  If Airfix don't come through (could be a couple of weeks before I hear, thanks to covid!), then I may take you up on that offer.  I don't have any decal-paper etc etc, but I do have a quality home inkjet printer.  I've never printed my own decals before, so I have absolutely no idea what the process is, but I am sure a few hours on G**gle would fix that.  So let's wait and see.  Watch this space.

In the mean-time I am cracking on with all the other decals slowly - there are a LOT....

As an update I actually did manage to get decal number 18's opposite number - number 13 - down perfectly!  I cut it into four before starting.  👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nobody Significant said:

Thank you very much for the offer.  If Airfix don't come through (could be a couple of weeks before I hear, thanks to covid!), then I may take you up on that offer.  I don't have any decal-paper etc etc, but I do have a quality home inkjet printer.  I've never printed my own decals before, so I have absolutely no idea what the process is, but I am sure a few hours on G**gle would fix that.  So let's wait and see.  Watch this space.

In the mean-time I am cracking on with all the other decals slowly - there are a LOT....

As an update I actually did manage to get decal number 18's opposite number - number 13 - down perfectly!  I cut it into four before starting.  👍

Glad you got the other side sorter, bugger of a way to learn.

Printing own decals is easy, basic steps are below, but a couple of videos is always a good start.

1. Have jpg/pdf etc

2. CLEAR decal paper

3. Print onto the right side of the decal paper (you'll know when you do it.)

4. Spray something like Liquid Decal onto your print and let dry. DON'T touch the print until all is dry.

5. cut out tight to the print.

6 apply as normal.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Muttley said:

Glad you got the other side sorter, bugger of a way to learn.

Printing own decals is easy, basic steps are below, but a couple of videos is always a good start.

1. Have jpg/pdf etc

2. CLEAR decal paper

3. Print onto the right side of the decal paper (you'll know when you do it.)

4. Spray something like Liquid Decal onto your print and let dry. DON'T touch the print until all is dry.

5. cut out tight to the print.

6 apply as normal.

Just remember that Printers cant print white, so should you need white, then you'll need white decal pape

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Just remember that Printers cant print white, so should you need white, then you'll need white decal pape

The stripes are red/yellow diagonal cross-hatching.  Not sure how opaque the print would be, so I am guessing I would need a white background (and therefore white decal paper) anyway, and would just need to be VERY accurate in cutting close to the print so I don't get a white outline?  ULP!

Still have my fingers crossed that Airfix will come through though.

FYI...  Decal 18 is only required if you have built, or are intending to build, variants A & B in the box (those with full-camo schemes).  If you have built, or are intending to build variant C in the box (the desert sand coloured scheme), then decal 18 is surplus to requirements.  Just saying....  🙄

Have just found somebody on evil-bay that built variant C (see above) and has ALL the decals for variants A&B for sale.  The complete set...!!!  Loads of spares.  Only £4-ish.  The bad news, they are in the States, so it's £18 in postage!  Plus the time to get here....  Question/advice:  should I go for it, or wait on Airfix?  What do people think?  Anybody had any experience in getting spare decals out of Airfix direct?