Sign in to follow this  
azureglo

UK Phantom Variants

Hi Folks, what are the external ( visible) differences between a navy FG1 and and an RAF FGR2: I have been gifted several Airfix FG1s which I fancy doing in a three colour camo seeing a Hannants are flush with sexy decals for said and don't want to make too many howlers in re-purposing my FG1s. BTW the extended nose wheel doesn't come into it as mine will be up a perspex pole buzzing the fruit bowl...

Thanks in advance

Anikl

For your purposes Anil,not a lot.

Duncan Black is your best man,he's ex-RAF Phantom "spanner"

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Miggers said:

For your purposes Anil,not a lot.

Duncan Black is your best man,he's ex-RAF Phantom "spanner"

Cheers Mig, actually my oldest brother worked on them as well (111 sqdn.)  till '76 when he left: was totally clueless as he only had experience of the FGR2 and then only its avionics. Disappointing  that the Airfix has  the no pilots...

A

Main visual differences that will be noticeable in 1/72 . The FG.1 had from new: cut outs under the leading edge of the wing well inboard for the catapult hooks, easily filled in, the FG.1 nose wheel fwd door had "traffic lights" vertically (not sure if that is moulded on or decals on the Airfix kit), a second scissor link between the nose wheels facing aft for the leg extension (not an issue for in flight), aileron droop when flaps lowered (the ailerons would droop on both types after shutdown once had pressure bled off but I guess you are doing in flight so neither are an issue here), a slot on the leading edge of the stabilator (sand it off and you'll be ok as it was scabbed on so increased the chord compared to the FGR2). The FGR 2 had a UHF (IIRC) aerial in the fin so the panel lines were slightly different (I bet most people wouldn't notice if you left that). The FG.1 wasn't SUU Gun capable (at all in FAA service) until the mid to late 1970's in RAF service. There were differences in the rear cockpit sidewalls between the 2 Marks (but you could ignore that in 1/72 and no-one would probably notice). Those are all from new but other differences appeared over time.

None of the FG.1s (that I'm aware of) ever got the strengthening straps fitted to the lower wing but they started appearing on the FGR2s towards the end of their service careers (long after they had all gone over to Air Defence Grey colour scheme). 

Weapons fit is where most modellers screw up RAF Phantoms, I have seen some great builds but with weapons fits they would never have carried or wouldn't have carried in the markings they are wearing. It appears that the change of rôle from ground attack to air defence confuses a lot of folk. The Air Defence Squadrons never carried A to G weapons and the only time the Strike camera might have been fitted by AD Squadrons was during Missile Practice Camps but even that would only have been fairly early on in service life. The Mud Movers would never normally have been seen carrying a full A to A load out (although it was technically possible) and the Recce Pod (and flash tank) was limited to 41 sqn and 2 sqn IIRC (not all FGR2s were actually wired for the Recce pod).

Hope that helps

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks

On 11/06/2020 at 16:48, BlackMike Models said:

Hope that helps

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan, basically very little apart from the door lights for me as its up a pole and no ordnance.

6 hours ago, azureglo said:

Thanks

Thanks Duncan, basically very little apart from the door lights for me as its up a pole and no ordnance.

Door lights and the catapult hooks would do it.

Duncan B

• Like 1