azureglo

My first sales fail...caveat venditor

Just had to do a refund on a 1/72 Spit 22 ...apparently it was bought as a gift for the buyers grandson... Surprise, surprise it didn't really survive the encounter ( though it took some time to get that out of him!). So what's the lesson? Make sure you specify its an adult collector item not a toy for young children, wow this one had a 0.1mm steel rod whip aerial!!

Not the end of the world as I was just out for postage and the kit was one of the Home Bargains cheapies but although it should be obvious, I hadn't made it clear this ain't a kiddie toy.  So all future listings now need some bold caps warnings about not giving them to little kiddies or playing dogfight with them.  Pity as it was a little honey and one of my fave builds that looked great in the display cabinet...

There is a degree of common sense involved when purchasing a scale built kit with ultra fine detailing but sadly buyers don't need common sense when eBay virtually always agrees with them. Now I have added joy of getting confirmation that they understand what they are buying prior to shipping.

So if you're thinking in to getting into selling, put on large disclaimers as someone somewhere will work out that a 1/72 built plastic kit is the same as 1/72 diecast and promptly had it to an 8 year old...

Suddenly my commission requests that I used to wince at when the many emails start regarding which brand of RLM 71 looks better seem like a safe haven, they may count every rivet but they won't be playing dogfights in the garden with them and complaining they broke...

Edited by azureglo
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Whatever happened to 'caveat emptor'?

Different rules with eBay, unless you're a power seller they advise you to refund: TBH they did say I had not explicitly stated that these aren’t suitable for an 8 year old and it is technically a toy model...Funnily enough one of my eBay regulars who missed it asked me to build him exactly the same, HSS silver and threw in a nice Lancaster commission (which will definitely appear here) so swings and roundabouts.

Still pretty miffed that some dimwit trashed many hours of work by giving it to a near toddler…

Checking the legal status Europe & GB has some pretty interesting distance selling rules that seem to favour the buyer on the grounds they haven’t had a chance to examine what they're buying in person which sort of makes sense.

Anil

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

Still pretty miffed that some dimwit trashed many hours of work by giving it to a near toddler…

Surely in which case, it can't be returned in it's original condition, and a refund would be based on condition due to it being fragile. ? no?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Surely in which case, it can't be returned in it's original condition, and a refund would be based on condition due to it being fragile. ? no?

Like eBay said, you can argue it but essentially its automatically assigned category was toy model and as I didn't say otherwise, I'll lose that argument. This ship sadly has sailed and its time to let go an move on, interestingly they suggested I block the buyer from bidding on my upcoming auctions and even told me how to do it so they do sympathise but this is a case of the letter , not the intent of the law. Lesson learnt, all new listings have adult collector, not a toy, unsuitable for violent feral mongrels with ADHD etc..

Like you I might just concentrate  on commissions, at least with grown ups, they know what they're buying

A

• Like 1

I recently sold an unmade Fine Molds 1/72nd Millennium Falcon (yes, the classic!) on eBay.  Did not get what I hoped for it, but whatever....  (paid £300 back in the day, got just £162)  All the sprue-bags were still sealed!  I had only ever opened the box to look, take a gulp, and close the box again.  After more than a month, the buyer raises a "case" against me claiming that the kit was missing a part!  After doing all the research for them, I pointed them to the specific Fine Molds, and then Revell web sites for spare parts, but nothing.  At no time did the buyer tell me exactly which part was missing!  Nor did they ever show me any evidence (photos etc) of a supposedly missing part!  Similarly with their "case", no evidence was produced to support their claim of a missing part.  Oh yes, and they also claimed they had paid over the odds for the kit in the first place in the auction!  Regardless, after another month of back-and-forth, I was forced to refund the money (actually PalPay just "took" it), but the buyer kept the kit!  I will never, ever, sell through that web site ever again!

Edited by Nobody Significant
Additional info added.
  • Sad 3

My late friend Donnie amassed a monstrous collection of kits  and I assisted the family with some of the sales.

Like @Nobody Significant above, one of the kits was still sealed in its bags. (A Monogram B-36)  It sold for less than I would have expected but at least it was one less in the stash. 

Three weeks later the buyer raised an action because he couldn't build the kit because of a missing part.

Donnie's son contacted me and asked for advice. I asked what the missing part was so he emailed the buyer.

Half the fuselage missing? Canopy missing?  No.

A bomb.

I had a B-36 kit so offered to send him one of the bombs despite suspecting that he was a chancer.

Not acceptable says he. Then silence so never did find out what his scam was.

I never go near any of the auction sites to buy or sell.

I build as a hobby (and my models are not good enough to sell anyway)

I'd rather give a kit away to a fellow modeller than deal with the (expletive deleted) to be found out there in auctionland.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There's a Testors 48th scale SR-71 kit in my stash that I'll never likely build. See them fetching stupid money on eBay but can't bring myself to sell it for the much-needed cash as I really don't want to deal with the sort of chancers you guys are coming across there.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Col. said:

can't bring myself to sell it for the much-needed cash as I really don't want to deal with the sort of chancers you guys are coming across there.

I'm in a similar position with an Airfix Sea Vixen. I doubt if I'll build it, and now that Airfix have cancelled the re-release of the kit I'd like to sell it. I'm likely to get the best price for it on evilbay but I'm wary of doing that due to the gits that inhabit the place now. I've sold loads of stuff in the past and it used to be a pleasant experience, but the last couple of years I feel like I'm dealing with either cretins or con-artists and after each time I say “I'm not doing that again”.

Unfortunately nothing is going to change while it has a virtual monopoly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 05/06/2020 at 08:46, Nobody Significant said:

I recently sold an unmade Fine Molds 1/72nd Millennium Falcon (yes, the classic!) on eBay.  Did not get what I hoped for it, but whatever....  (paid £300 back in the day, got just £162)  All the sprue-bags were still sealed!  I had only ever opened the box to look, take a gulp, and close the box again.  After more than a month, the buyer raises a "case" against me claiming that the kit was missing a part!  After doing all the research for them, I pointed them to the specific Fine Molds, and then Revell web sites for spare parts, but nothing.  At no time did the buyer tell me exactly which part was missing!  Nor did they ever show me any evidence (photos etc) of a supposedly missing part!  Similarly with their "case", no evidence was produced to support their claim of a missing part.  Oh yes, and they also claimed they had paid over the odds for the kit in the first place in the auction!  Regardless, after another month of back-and-forth, I was forced to refund the money (actually PalPay just "took" it), but the buyer kept the kit!  I will never, ever, sell through that web site ever again!

New information as the story progresses.  Now that they have both the kit, and my money, the scammer now has the kit for free. 

But I discovered recently that, and this just double-confirms that they are a scammer, they have closed their eBay account!

So be warned, double-check your buyers if you sell through eBay.  The buyer's scammer's (now closed) handle in eBay was "Marssojourner97", although they are actually the following real person:

Paul Jenkinson
352 High Road
Trimley St. Martin
Felixstowe
Suffolk
IP11 0RT

I'm not on FaceBook or any other social media, but if somebody who is wanted to spread the word to avoid any business transactions with this scammer, please feel free...

Edited by Nobody Significant
  • Sad 6

39 minutes ago, Nobody Significant said:

New information as the story progresses.  Now that they have both the kit, and my money, the scammer now has the kit for free. 

Regardless of the distance, I'd be tempted to pay them a little visit.

• Like 4

And people wonder why I hesitate to sell anything on evil-bay. It used to be a fun garage sale in the sky, buyers and sellers both having fun, but those days are long gone. 

• Like 5

That's why I use Gumtree for my stuff and specific cash only on pick up. No BS, no mucking around, if you want what I'm selling bring cash and come get it. Still doesn't stop the time wasters or people trying to low ball you, but mostly people who arrange a time with you turn up. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BradG said:

That's why I use Gumtree for my stuff and specific cash only on pick up. No BS, no mucking around, if you want what I'm selling bring cash and come get it. Still doesn't stop the time wasters or people trying to low ball you, but mostly people who arrange a time with you turn up. 

Indeed.  That was the very last time I ever try to sell anything on eBay.  I can only hope somebody is spreading the word on social media about Mr Paul Jenkinson of Felixstowe being a scammer....  I hope he chokes on the bl**dy kit, I really do.  Not that I'm bitter or angry at all you understand...  😡

• Haha 3

Gumtree? Blinkin’ ‘eck, that’s worse’n Fleabay - I put an ad for a car up there recently and got nothing but spam, much of which appeared to be ladies’ bodies for sale (their own, supposedly, or others). I scrapped the ad in short order and never went back.

• Like 2

A sort of happy ending for this one, I built another for the collector who missed this one  that was purchased and wrecked by a dimit, it was last week's RFI

Here what he had  to say...

50105056546_392e657fa7_c.jpg

It all commissions for the foreseeable future but I have a hankering to find out what folk would pay for a really well built 1/48 Spit like the one I started a month ago and have been diligently ignoring  as I have a buyer lined up for it for next month...

On 29/06/2020 at 15:03, Nobody Significant said:

Indeed.  That was the very last time I ever try to sell anything on eBay.  I can only hope somebody is spreading the word on social media about Mr Paul Jenkinson of Felixstowe being a scammer....  I hope he chokes on the bl**dy kit, I really do.  Not that I'm bitter or angry at all you understand...  😡

Y'know I feel your pain but  that said I've sold about £500 of surplus kits in the last 10 days without a glitch ( yet..), mind you I take pictures of every sprue etc with the postage labels, shots of the factory seals etc just in case. It sucks you got ripped off but eBay can work well if you take some simple precautions.

Occasionally some bloody minded individuals like one who ripped you off will try it on, as did one who obviously got buyers remorse last week and tried to do a return but refused to provide any shots of the alleged damage while I supplied ebay pictures the item in its factory sealed box with in my packaging with a tracking label and an ID sticker I put on every sale. In the end he said it was not damaged but he "didn't like it", ebay closed the case immediately on that remark and told him he received the item that was described in the condition that it was shown in and as he had falsely claimed it was damaged and then changed his story, they also closed his account!

So don't be put off eBay, right now I'm liquidating my current stash/commissions backups* and another huge stash a friend friend gave me in lieu of a large debt and its generating some serious cash compared to the pittance the likes of Kingkit would be obliged to offer with their overheads and large stock. I had used an auction house previously but right now they're telling me the market for large collections is flat, only the dealers are buying multiples and they are not paying top dollar..

It's quite good fun writing cool descriptions, watching the feeding frenzy on some item, exchanging emails with modellers asking about how the kit builds and being able to send a link with one of my builds, packing and making up indestructible wrapping while staying inside RM size bands, That and the happy hourly messages showing I've got more loot in my paypal account are quite uplifting...I daresay its more fun than thinking about masking and painting 12 yellow prop tips for my Lancaster WHIF commission and staring in despair that gazillion little bits on the Eduard canopy mask sheet.

Well enough buying and selling, I really should build something, I need to get me another Stratocaster to turn into a "Coodercaster"!!

Anil

* A good tip I got from another commission builder, on high value commissions, she always sources a spare kit. decals, aftermarket etc and then sells them off as soon as the build has been paid for. What makes for a funny post about the carpet monster on a forum is incredibly stressful if you got a £350 Lanc to get out and you've muffed the canopy or lost some of the guns. As she said , the difference between a pro and a hobbyist, is we expect the occasional mistake and have a plan B ready.

• Like 3