Blue Noser

Tamiya 1:32 Birdcage Corsair .... and yes of course it will be Royal Navy!

Good Day everyone! 

I'm doing this as part of a group build elsewhere and thought I would share it here as well. I got this kit as a Crimbo/birthday present to myself, I had no intention of getting it but it was only 90 Canadian bucks (around 55 quid!) and at a price like that who could turn it down? I knew the RN flew this type so it was a no brainer really. I'm going to build this as JT190, a Corsair MkI that was stationed at NAS Brunswick in Maine, which is just down the road from me (relatively speaking of course!). This aircraft was flown by the CO and Fighter Ace Jackie Sewell, it also claimed his life when it was involved in a mid air collision during a training flight. Over the course of the build its my intention to try and research more about this pilot and build this as a tribute. Its going to be almost completely out of the box, save for some fabric harnesses and a set of cockpit placards which in this scale is worth it. I am unable to source any appropriate decals so this will be another first for me as I spray the roundels! So with the desk clear it was time to crack on!

I opened up the box and thought "where the bleeding heck do I start" lol. There is ALOT to this kit. Unfortunately my cockpit placards from Hannants haven't arrived yet so I don't want to really get too deep into that until I have them. Now having read a lot of reviews they say this kit is not complicated …. as long as you follow the instructions closely ….. so the best thing to do? Skip the first 22 (yes 22!) stages and start with stage 23. So off I go starting with the engine, I've studied the instructions and I cant see any pitfalls ahead so I think I am good.

20200529_170448

Instead of doing a whole bunch of sprue shots at the start Ill do them as I go. First up is the engine sprue

20200529_170505

I'm going for a nice gentle start and doing the front engine only at the moment, snipped off all the parts and did a bit of cleaning up and gluing including the crank case and assemblies and threw down my first coat of primer

20200529_185135

A veritable array of weird looking bits and bobs, one thing I have noticed though is the Tamiya plastic is almost the exact shade of grey as my Mig One shot primer, so that's going to make things tricky for my poor weary eyes, I'll have to judge it by moistness lol. And here is a close up of the engine, nice and finely detailed

20200529_185143

First splash of colour goes on tomorrow, from small acorns grow mighty errr Corsairs.

Take it easy all!

Laters

Bob

• Like 4

Being a RN corsair are you going to need to chop the wingtips? i didn't know whether the birdcages did 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 02:26, Grunhertz said:

Being a RN corsair are you going to need to chop the wingtips? i didn't know whether the birdcages did 

Maybe.  I understand a few had standard wingtips, but most were clipped.  However, I stand to be corrected.  I'll have a look in my library later and update this if I find any more info.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

I understand a few had standard wingtips, but most were clipped. 

I think it was the other way round.

Most Corsair 1s didn't have the clipped wings as they were based in the USA for training.

Some made it over here and were used for carrier training  in the Firth of Clyde, flying out of Machrihanish.

I suspect that they were the ones with clipped wings.

I too will need to check further.

All this before we even mention the colours!

Meanwhile using any excuse to show the lovely Corsair!

6228510.JPG

British_Fleet_Air_Arm_Chance_Vough_F4U_C

Royal-Navy-Corsair-MkI-FAA-1835NAS-Red-5

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 6

My understanding is that Corsairs operating on Brit carriers needed the clipped wings in order to fit in the hangar deck. So a carrier based bird would need to be clipped, a land based bird not necessarily so.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:26 PM, Grunhertz said:

Being a RN corsair are you going to need to chop the wingtips?

On 5/31/2020 at 2:21 AM, MikeC said:

but most were clipped.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:36 AM, RWG686 said:

think it was the other way round.

Thanks for chipping in and following, to clip or not to clip that is the question! As I understand it the wings were clipped to indeed fit on RN Carriers and although the MK1 didn't see much, if any, action it did go to sea on carriers although I haven't seen any photo evidence of this, just memoirs. So some aircraft were clipped, mainly the UK based ones which were more likely to go onboard. I haven't yet seen a full shot of JT190 that I can confirm if the tips were clipped. As she was Stateside and carried out land based training I am going for unclipped, but the wings are years away at this moment so if anything comes to light I can change my mind. Its far easier to chop them off than to reattach missing tips!

Any hoo back to the engine that comes with the kit is very nicely molded but there are still a couple of things missing that can be added. The first are pipes on the top of each cylinder, I think these are oil pipelines but not sure, they are however quite thick and prominent. The kit does provide an indication of there these go so its easy enough to drill out the areas. Next, I used some copper wire to represent the pipe but to get everything all looking the same, I knocked myself up a jig that I could easily bend the wire round to give me a consistent shape. Job Done! Think I was a bit premature with the primer though!

20200530_160240

The other enhancement I could do is the ignition harness, I was surprised Tamiya didn’t provide one on their etch fret. A little disappointed but not to worry, it’s a big enough scale to get by. So, I drilled out the spark plug areas on the cylinder to take the wire, not too bad only broke one drill on this one!

20200530_132556

Tamiya also supply the ignition ring, nicely detailed but there isn’t a lot of meat there!

20200530_162727

I thought about gluing the wire to the back of the ring or finding another way to attach it but nothing would like quite right so with my thinnest drill I carefully tried to drill out a little recess to take the wire end. This process cost me a couple more drills and a few unintentional 0.3mm holes in my thumb! But after an hour or so of eye straining and patience I got her done! Not a great photo but best I could do but you should be able to make out the holes!

20200530_170231

It was then off to the paint shop, the crank case was given a coat of Vallejo Air EDSG, this was against the guidelines of Tamiya (who say light grey) but during research they were a myriad of colours. The EDSG looked good and was quite similar to other Fleet Air Arm colours, The engine was sprayed in Vallejo Aluminium and the propshaft was sprayed in the same but with a touch of orange to try and shake up the monotony of the ally.

20200531_104731

Next up for the cylinders I gave it a run of Tamiya panel line enhancer to try and accentuate the cooling vanes. That seemed to come out really well.

20200531_105801

I then gave it a very LIGHT coat of exhaust colour to dull the ally, it was barely noticeable and then topped it off with a matte coat. I’m not going to make this a battle worn aircraft, it will be depicted with very light weathering and a matt engine looks a lot better than a nice shiny one. I highlighted the crank case bolts and assembled that (at last a bit of assembly!), and then built up the front engine.

20200531_143652

After a break to allow my eyesight to recover I looked at the first round of wiring. Most references show a gold coloured ignition harness, but I have seen a couple with silver and as that would have been easiest to replicate I decided to go for that. I’m using .4mm wire which is a little stiffer than I would like but my next thinner option wouldn’t work very well, but then again it looks pretty good!

20200531_181427

20200531_181457

So, to carry on with more wiring, I need to fit the back engine, but to do that I first need to sort out the exhaust pipes from the front engine, there is a lot of carefully following the instructions! The pipes were removed and assembled in 9 pairs and primed, I need to work on a good exhaust colour for these. I’ve seen a lot done in normal matt paint as a rusty type colour. I like to have a bit of metallic effect so I am going to experiment a bit on these, but here is the lineup ready to go

20200531_164403

So that’s all from this week end, quite productive one if I don’t mind saying so. The engine feels like a complete kit in itself! Hopefully get a couple of hours on it before the week is out.

Until next time stay safe!

Bob

• Like 9

Lovely engine there Bob and a nice tutorial to go with it.

(It looks about the same size as the pod of the Bolkow 105 I'm doing in 1/72!)

• Like 1

lovely Job Bob , for exhausts like that i tend to go with a bit of dark iron and an over spray the crank end of a tiny bit of clear blue 

• Like 1

I like flat black, drybrush of more-or-less heavy rust and then a Q-tip loaded with powered graphite for the metallic sheen

• Like 1

lovely work happening here, liking the muted engine and colour and what youre doing with the plumbing etc

• Like 1

Hi All thanks for the comments, its appreciated and thanks for the advice on the exhausts, unfortunately I'm a day behind on the posting, mainly due to the fact I cant get on BxM at work anymore for some reason as I used to do my updates at break time, so I had already gone ahead with my exhaust painting. Luckily there are plenty more tubes left in this build so I can try some of those ideas out, but in the meantime here was where I got last night, nearly ending in a mini disaster!

I have continued with the engine for an hour or so yesterday, but I also broke my cardinal sin for this particular build. I wired up the rear engine bank, glued it on and then plugged in the front of the rear cylinders to the ignitor ring (you following me! :frantic:) and then looked at the cylinder covers that sit on top of the cylinders, these need holes drilled through them so that the wires from the back of the rear bank can thread through them. It was only when I was running through a dry fit and just by chance checking the instructions that I forgot about my exhaust bits from above! RTFI! The exhaust pipes should slot nicely into the rear of the front bank BEFORE the rear bank was installed, but I cant remove the rear bank as its plugged in to the igniter ring at the front of the engine! Thankfully Tamiyas engineering allows me to cut back the locator plugs a bit and slip it in nicely. Anyhoo a picture paints a thousand words so this is what it looks like.

20200601_190010

I opted for a rusty metallic colour for this section of exhaust, half of these will be hidden by the cylinder covers anyway. I will try and add a bit more tone to the ones that are visible. Also just noticed in this pick a small scratch that I hadn't noticed previously in the crank case :angry:. So once I had recovered the first slight faux pas, I then moved onto installing the covers which proved more taxing than I thought! Building straight from the box these covers just slot in but I had decided to complicate matters with some electrical harnesses which being a Mechanic has always been the bane of my aviation career! Again pictures are better so this is where I am at with it so far.

20200601_193205

At this point I decided to give it a rest with wire flopping all over the place. The holes in the cover don't go straight through so I cant thread wire through after installation so having a couple of loose bits of wire while trying to loop existing wire was a step too far. So I superglued the wire into the covers and left it so I can install tonight. I got to that pint where I just had to walk away of trouble would have ensued! I'll take another phot tonight so you can see what I am on about. Hopefully tonights evolution will be easier now, I may even get this engine wrapped …. ish!

Until later, stay safe!

Bob 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, skwonk said:

After all that work I take it you will have access panels open?

5 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

What he said above.

Absolutely! I'm not sure that the panels will fit anyway with that extra wiring! I have clear cowlings as well as the usual ones so not sure which way to go yet but I will be leaving that area open for sure!

• Like 1

So last night I made a concerted effort to get this engine done! From my description of the build up before, this is a shot part way through putting the covers on.

2020-06-02_07-45-26 20200602_182135

You can see there are wires from the engine going through it and then the wire from the rear of the rear cylinder going over the top and into the ignition ring. It did prove quite fiddly getting it in place but once the cover was on it was nice and easy to route the wires, snip to length and then insert into the relevant part. After a pretty good session I got all the sections in and wired up like so

20200602_185508

It was quite tricky and laborious but worked out nicely in the end, I think. I've also added in an oil (I think) pipe from the bottom of the crank case to a reservoir at the under the bottom cylinder …… and that I do believe is as far as I can take this engine for now so it is going into a safe box for storage and protection until its finally ready for installation much later into the build.

On 6/1/2020 at 7:56 PM, RWG686 said:

It looks about the same size as the pod of the Bolkow 105 I'm doing in 1/72!

I don't have a MBB 105 to hand but compared to my Griffon its not a tidler!

20200602_193103

Hopefully I'll get enough enthusiasm to finish her off before the GB ends!

I still haven't received my 'special package' yet but I am going to start work on that cockpit, the only thing I managed last night was to look at the fuselage halves and I noticed there is a multitude of ejector pin marks in the side. They are very shallow but I am not sure whether they would get highlighted under some paint. I did try and fill them with PPP but they were just too shallow so I hit them with a thin piece of 500 wet and dry to smooth them out.

20200602_192256

You can see the ones around the tail wheel well which look very prominent due to the fact I tried to fill them but the ones around the cockpit disappeared with a little rub down. The next course of action over the next couple of days is to prepare the cockpit and get some paint down. We are getting on!

Until next time, Laters!

Bob

• Like 4

That R-2800 is far too big for that Griffon..................................

It looks great.

bit of reading for ya Bobster:

http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/SQUADRONS/1837_Squadron.htm#.XtfesFRKi1s

Fair few pics here(including JT190) of FAA Mk1. birdcages:

https://historylink101.com/ww2_navy/org/planes/BritishPlanes/index.html

It'd be great if that's '190 with the duck on it.

https://www.jdsf4u.be/royal-navy-corsair-mk

AFAIK,birdcages didn't have clipped wings,they were only used at NAS Brunswick for pilot

training,clipped wings didn't come in until the FAA took the Mk II(F4U-1A).

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

Thanks for those references @Miggers, a fine mix of photos in there too. I had seen some of those colour ones before but your link has more available. Some smashing shots in there especially the ones with the US Navy guy and the Wren doing publicity shots, some of them look creepy! Also the good thing with a lot of those pictures are they are of JT190 so I have a great reference there, this is one of my favourites

Capture

You can tell the internal colour (see below), the specific shape of '7M' and some lighter paintwork in that area which suggests that the number has been reworked. Also the tail wheel is reversed and the two gents working on the guns are shown in later pics (I'll post those later) working on the wings which shows a lot of detail to the front half, its only a loose connection but I think one can assume its the same aircraft.  

Right back to the build, hopefully I will get this post sorted. My computer tends to automatically update when I hit enter after posting a pic. So if you see any posts from me that seem incomplete that is probably be why.

So with the engine complete now I looked at the cockpit, here is what I am dealing with

20200603_183740

20200603_184254

I built up the consoles and the forward bulkhead assembly, this looks like another kit within a kit! here we are all ready for primer

20200603_190610

After the primer I put down some black

20200604_201026

This was followed with some green

20200604_201022

So I went for this type of green from the research I carried out, the primer used was a zinc chromate one which was usually a type of yellow (similar to the tail area). This was considered too bright for the cockpit so that was toned down with black to produce a dark green, I have used Mig Ammo US cockpit green on this. There has also been a lot of debate on the internal colours of the rest of the aircraft, the early aircraft having a salmon pink type colour before this was changed to yellow chromate. I have gone for the yellow after seeing a picture of JT190 above, I am using Mig Ammo Zinc Chromate for these other areas. I then gave the used areas a silver dry brushing. I want to keep this quite clean so I have tried to be reserved in the weathering, I also threw down a bit of local colours.

20200608_182904

I was a bit concerned how the instrument panel was going to go, this one is built up with a front face, a glass backing and then a decal for the instruments. Looking at the decal the detail wasn't very clear, but this is the back of the decal and once it is in place it is very clear and bold and all in all its very nice, although I think the dry brushing went a bit too far

20200608_182928

Then it was the turn of the back board and seat, this all went together very nicely

20200608_182758

I have a set of fabric belts for this. I want to hold off the shoulder straps as far as possible as I want to have the canopy open  and the straps hanging over the edge as if ready for the pilot.

20200608_182812

Then I started on the tail area, for something that will be quite well hidden underneath it is very nicely detailed. I might have to put this model on a mirror or something!

20200608_182708

All ready for some primer and a splash of yellow. So we are motoring along really, this kit is going together like a dream! In the meantime though its time for a chill, a nice little number from a local brewery here in Nova Scotia called Nine Locks, its just right after a good model session!

2020-06-04_08-12-25

Cheers all!

Bob

• Like 6

Good day all, just taking a short break from the assembly to try and figure out one thing, I’ve never painted my own roundels before and as I cant get any decals this looks like a great time to try! First though I need to have a practice, so rummaging through my spares bin, I came across an old wing from a 1:48 Hasegawa spitfire. This was good because it was largish and had fine engraved detail so I could see how that looked.

2020-06-08_07-02-23

First thing was to prime the area and for this I chose to experiment, upper surfaces were coated in white primer for the white in the roundel, the lower, half was white and half grey primer to see what my colours look like with various undercoats. Now here is my disclaimer! This is only a practice so where I put my roundels bear no resemblance to their final position on my Corsair! This wing is what has been referred to as a paint b*tch!

So what have I got to go with? We are in lock down so my usual sources are unavailable for a restock so that limits me. I have a Model Master Acryl signal red and a Vallejo Model red. I hate using Vallejo Model for spraying (this isn’t Model Air range) so that leaves just the one red. A nice red that sprays well so we will see how that goes. For the blue I have Model Master Acryl French Blue and Dark Blue as well as a Vallejo Model blue which isn’t going to get looked at for the same reason as the red. I also have MM Gloss white and MM Chrome yellow gloss. After the white priming, I went over the upper wing with a white gloss and I was going to build up from there. The under surface are for type ‘B’ and don’t have white so went straight onto the red.

20200608_132420

Upper surface are going to be Type A and type C, although the proportions may be slightly out of whack, I tried to keep the B and C types close. For the C I am starting outside going in and the type A starting inside going out, So laid down the yellow and red

20200608_132416

This was followed up with masking and then the blue

20200608_185610

So on the upper the Type C has the French blue and Type A has the dark. The French is too light for the C and I think the Dark blue is also too light, it doesn’t have that wartime dark tint to it but that is on a gloss white build up … the type C doesn’t have the red dot because everytime I sprayed it I got really bad bleed so just gave up on it! I think the red on a white underside is too light. I then added some Gunship grey for the EDSG and olive drab for the slate grey, this would give a better insight in how they looked on the aircraft

20200609_175248

So what about the underside, Type B

20200609_175239

After the red and blue I added some external colour as above. The left hand side is on a white primer and for the blue I sprayed the front half dark and rear French. It doesn’t show very well because there is some glare on the picture, but both blues are really too light. The red on white is close but the red on grey (Squint one on the right) looks good and under a coat of matt would, I think, be acceptable, maybe do with a touch of brown to give it a more brick red colour? so may have an experiment with that later but red on grey primer is good!

The blue on grey is a little darker but still too light, I have experimented by brush to get a darker blue by adding black so will try that on my final testing mule (more later!). Ignore the offset red roundel, I had a major failure there and its not like I can soak it and move it!  

That’s where we are now, I am going to dig out another paint mule, grey primer it and try building up a Type B and type C roundel from the inside outwards with the correct dimensions and proportions to what I need for the Corsair. Unfortunately for the masking I was hoping to use the Tamiya masking paper you get in large sheets but alas I have nearly run out so will need to replenish that. In the meantime, I am using bog standard painters masking tape which seems to be working ok so far!

A bit of a long winded update with more to follow! Thanks for looking in.

Laters,

Bob

• Like 1

great stuff Bob but its trial and error, whaen I've been doing when i spray insignia is spray a fairly  dry mix so mist it on that way it doesn't tend to bleed under 

• Like 2

Good day again, just an update on my adventures in roundel land today, I've kind of hit on a slow time at the moment, its amazing how glorious sunshine can impact model making, even in a lockdown! But enough of the yard work excuse, the roundels ….. so as I mentioned above I dug out another paint mule, I wanted something to practice the full size markings on as well as introducing a couple of curves just to complicate things a bit. I dug out this drone for the SR71 which I was going to build up but lost interest.

20200609_182830

I coated it in grey primer and added some panel line shading to see how that would effect it. For this effort one side will be a type B and the other a C1 using sizes and proportions as close as possible to the markings I will be using. I am also going to mask and spray each individual colour so I am not dealing with any overspray, again I am using industrial 'Frog' masking tape as my Tamiya tape stocks are low and I am still waiting for replenishment from Japan (apparently). So I masked off the red and sprayed.

2020-06-10_09-58-17

A nice crisp red dot, this is where I discovered my first flaw, having one example on each side doubles my picture count! So the other side is exactly the same just a touch bigger. So the method was to cut out a circle and use the outside for the initial masking then after spraying use the inside to cover the paint (apologies if I'm stating the bleeding obvious!). Doing this step by step I built up the colours, for the white and yellow I did undercoat with white primer first to make them stand out a bit more and I followed @Grunhertz suggestion above to limit underspray as much as possible. For the blue I added a touch of black, about 1:4 ratio. So having done all that this is what I ended up with for the type 'B'

20200614_210926

My final masking was a bit shady on this but it turned out not bad, for the airframe colours I chose MM Acryl Gunship grey and RLM 71 (I think or it may be 70!) as this is not a million miles from slate grey. For the type C1 I used the same gunship grey but tried out Vallejo Slate grey

20200614_210910

All in all not too bad, the contour made it a bit trickier and the Corsair fuselage isn't as pronounced but worked ok. I used the same blue for both sides. Next I compared to a kit decal, its amazing how few type B and C1 decals I have in use but I found this one on an Airfix Lancaster, which I had to dig out from the deep as being RAF its not aloud to taint my Fleet Air Arm display 😁

20200614_210946

The flash has thrown out a bit of the contrast but its close enough for government work! So there we have it, happy that I've proved I have the paint and touch to pull it off, just need to do it on the kit now! I'm thinking I can do the markings first on the kit and then apply the external colour over the top. At the moment I am building up the seat harness which is an aftermarket fabric set, more on that later but it is killing my fingers and eyes!

Until later, take care and stay safe!

Bob

Edited by Blue Noser
  • Like 3

I was going to say what's he doing to that Spit wing!!!,but it's a Hassygawa one which is crepe.

The D.21 then threw me a bit too.

I think,I think, Corsairs for the Fleet had Sutton's fitted,not the Murrycan harness,it'll be worth a check before you get too far Bobster.

• Like 1