RWG686

The people have spoken.

I delayed saying what I was going to do because I didn't have a picture of it in operational service.

I have loads of photos of it in the museum at Krakow but wanted to do it in service colours.

Here it is then, A Mil Mi-4ME of the Polish Navy.

b2488b77-8924-4958-97c3-84e5a12e4a11.jpg

• Like 3

Now because it's to be military I'm assuming that the bird on the back isn't going to be used for geophysical surveys hunting for ore bodies, yes? That and the radar argue that this is for anti-submarine work. Was it a killer as well as a hunter, or will you need to build it a hunting partner?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Was it a killer as well as a hunter,

This one is the hunter. 

They operated in pairs because they weren't powerful enough to carry all the kit in one airframe. On the killer,the torpedo bay is external and was basically a box extending back from the gondola.

I haven't seen a 'killer' which is just as well as there are very few photos of them.

A bit of work this afternoon on adding some detail. Not too much in the cabin. as the door is very small.

Different story with the cockpit. Plenty visible there as I will have the sliding windows open.

The kit completely misses out the half bulkhead behind the second pilot.. I made this out of 20 thou card.

His seat back folds to permit access to the cabin .

838fda0b-9236-40da-aa88-4b09cb61b8dd.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Miggers said:

Or in the words of the great Mr Oliver Hardy "Here's another fine mesh you've all gotten me into":wink:

He’s only got himself to blame, asking people what to build. I wanted the NH90 😜🤣

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Dr Loopy said:

He’s only got himself to blame, asking people what to build. I wanted the NH90 😜🤣

yeah but you know full well that would have been hacked and chopped about a bit too don't you? 

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

yeah but you know full well that would have been hacked and chopped about a bit too don't you? 

:rofl: I’m just in a snit coz he dinnae do the yin I wanted WAAAAH! :rofl:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dr Loopy said:

. I wanted the NH90 

7 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

would have been hacked and chopped about a bit too

I wonder how I can do this mesh ?

eb6fd4f8-ecd9-4255-8b9e-699702c48e2f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I wonder how I can do this mesh ?

eb6fd4f8-ecd9-4255-8b9e-699702c48e2f.jpg

The mesh from fancy teabags worked well on my Sea Harrier so with a plastic frame underneath to help form its convex shape that'd be my recommendation for the one above the cabin. As for the other two - pfft, not a clue, maybe form out of thin clear plastic?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Enough of the modern stuff..back to the Mil.

I spent ages looking for a photograph of the inside of an operational Polish Navy Mi-4 with no luck.

That was fun but as far as the build goes,a total waste of time because with that very small door and only a small hole behind the second pilot there is not a lot to be seen.

As usual in this scale the impression of kit down the back is more important than accuracy so I had more fun getting diverted trawling through the spares box to find bits that looked as if they were 1960's secret Soviet submarine tracking gizmos.

This is what I came up with.

8b167857-ae3a-4ef5-89f3-fe64fe0bc458.jpg

A wee splash of paint and when that's all boxed up it will do the job I reckon.

I've started looking for replacement seats as the kit ones are too thin and I want to make a start on the cockpit tomorrow. 

I have nothing which I can just drop in so lots of wee bits of plastic rod make an appearance soon I suspect.

• Like 5

I was thinking about Soviet equipment and wished I had the 1/35 scale Mi-4 then I could have had fun building valves. 

This reminded me of the time I had to phone the work IT as my computer was playing up. The lassie that answered sounded about ten years old and she then proceed to talk at mach 2 and expected me to follow what she was saying in that strange language which IT types use.

When she paused for breath about ten minutes later, I explained to her that I was of an age where I knew more about valves than chips. Her response? " What's a valve?"

I felt old. 

This also brought about the realisation that there are many modellers who know nothing of the pre-digital age. Let me explain.

This when people actually talked to each other face to face. If that wasn't possible then perhaps we could talk to them on the telephone. A fixed device in the home or office. None of this mobile crap which we have now. We even had a technique whereby we used a pen and paper to communicate with others by means of a thing called a letter.

What has this to do with a Mil Mi-4 I hear you ask in an exasperated tone?

Kopro say I need 10g weight in the nose. I decided I needed 15 because I had added stuff down the back so staying with the pre-digital theme I dug out my trusty scales (**)

Those of a certain age may recognise them of a type used by pre-digital age drug dealers.

13e6aa0a-7c06-46fe-8357-42423ded6dfc.jpg

I omitted to mention that I had already glued the fuselage together and those lumps of lead are now in the nose section masquerading as an engine.

I think it only fair to advise you at this stage that there may be some filler making an appearance later. 

While I was contemplating that task I got diverted Look at all of those lovely sticky oot bits!

c0b3698d-66aa-40eb-93c4-4168b119e986.jpg

(**)  Those of you who know me know fine well that I don't possess digital scales :D

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

What has this to do with a Mil Mi-4 I hear you ask in an exasperated tone?

So... just to recap to see if I get this correctly, a 'work in progress' should have stuff about modelling?

Sounds odd to me.

It'll never catch on.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

So... just to recap to see if I get this correctly,

I think you may have passed on the bug.

5 hours ago, DC3 said:

When & where did you see an Mi-4?

Seven in Russia, one in Slovakia ,,one in Hungary ,one at the helicopter museum in Weston-Super- Mare  and this particular one in Poland.

Between 2004 and 2013.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I may have made a passing mention of filler?

85d72955-ea58-4637-94f2-d9d7cd53e091.jpg6e548cc8-fadb-48cd-9767-36e5734348e4.jpg

Now the more observant of you may have noticed a very obvious join with no filler.

Why waste filler when it will be covered by this

5fcd41e1-24de-4ecd-845a-1ee0992c7841.jpg

Then I remembered that the kit is a Mil Mi-4A and the Mi-4ME has a totally different gondola:

resized_c83f61a9-0354-469d-b73d-415c2665

so back out with the filler......

• Like 2

Looks like you can chop that big beast up, and replace the sides and front with clear styrene panels ready for masking off the windows. I presume that there must have been a hole in the floor to let whomever looked out of those windows get down there to look? Do I see a seat pan hiding towards the rear of the gondola behind the rearmost window?

31 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

85d72955-ea58-4637-94f2-d9d7cd53e091.jpg6e548cc8-fadb-48cd-9767-36e5734348e4.jpg

Now the more observant of you may have noticed a very obvious join with no filler.

That's a lot of grey filler for those small bits of green plastic :whistle:no wonder I can't filler from anywhere.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jessie_C said:

I presume that there must have been a hole in the floor to let whomever looked out of those windows get down there to look? Do I see a seat pan hiding towards the rear of the gondola behind the rearmost window?

Yes. In the kit cabin floor is a moulded in coffin shape covered by two hatches.I didn't bother opening them up  as you aren't going to see too much.

Well spotted with the seat

05669660-39bc-4ab5-9718-d6e8c27ac380.JPG

• Like 2

I'm making a new gondola as the Mi-4ME one is deeper and shorter than the kit one.  Nothing worth a photo yet.

I've started making the radome. Several circles of plastic card sandwiched together and currently drying. Mammoth sanding session tomorrow.

Workshop got too hot to work even with the fan going.

Not a comment you hear about Scotland too often.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

Workshop got too hot to work even with the fan going.

Not a comment you hear about Scotland too often.

😱😱😱🥵🥵🥵

Crikey

Part one of the radome and gondola construction.

Splashed on some primer as I couldn't see the shape properly on the white plastic.

Long way to go yet!

f11a7c10-30b3-4d37-9945-b08f270728fb.jpg

• Like 3

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.