BlackMike Models

Eduard 82102 1/48 P-51D Mustang ProfiPack/Overtree. It's a 2 horse race!

Some bits arrived today for Ridge Runner (and the Mengstang).

IMG_7693-600x450.jpg

The kit’s 108 gal paper drop tanks are a bit light on detail so after having 4 goes at building them I gave up and bought the Eduard resin ones. Paint masks for the national insignia and seat belts and canopy masks for the Mengstang.

Duncan B

• Like 2

I had a day off from the Mustangs yesterday painting the cockpit of the Me262 but I’m back on the case today.

IMG_7697-600x434.jpg

BBD has legs, flaps and a black rudder. The painting of the rudder went without any hitches. I was a little concerned about masking over the decals but all was fine.

Fitting the undercarriage is a test of patience. It’s impossible to see where the locating hole for the tail leg is once you have the leg in the well. Makes getting the glue in the right spot interesting. The main legs need to have the paint scraped off their locating tabs and a little locating nipple cut off before they will fit because the tolerances are so tight (Eduard, why?).

I guess I need to start putting the stickers on Ridge Runner next.

Duncan B

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dr Loopy said:

That nose looks painted, and the rest made of metal! Nice!

Thanks, the decals eventually settled down reasonably well but I did have to cut out a few of the squares from a spare sheet to cover up some of the worst bits. I don't have the patience to mask and paint something that elaborate. The metal paint is still a bit bright but I know it will dull down once I've got the washes on.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Pottering along today as I’ve been busy with other things. Anyhow I have sealed in the decals on BBD with another brush coat of Aquagloss and had no mystery rust issues so that’s a bonus. Also gave Ridge Runner another coat before starting the decals as she was a bit less shiny than I would like for the stickers to do onto.

IMG_7701-600x332.jpg

I think I’ve gotten away with the earlier decal disaster.

IMG_7699-600x407.jpg

It’s ready for the gazillion decals now. Might start them tonight.

Duncan B

• Like 3

All the stencil decals are now on Ridge Runner (I never want to see a tiny stencil decal ever again) and I'll make a start to the national insignia and squadron markings this afternoon. As I already know that no decal setting solution known to man will make the bigger decals settle down I am going to borrow Mrs B's hair drier and see if a blast from that will make any difference to them. As I have plenty of spare decals I can experiment with reasonable confidence (so long as I don't melt the paint or the plastic).

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 3

Some progress on Ridge Runner.

IMG_7705_heic-600x450.jpg

I have blasted the Star and Bar decals with a hair dryer set as hot as I dared. It has helped to get them to conform but they still haven’t smuggled down as nicely as I would have liked, Cartograf quality these are not.

Duncan B

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

its a shame. But knowing eduard they listen to criticism and I guess they will improve them 

The codes and numbers are impressively thin but the decals that have any white on them are horribly thick.

Duncan B