Jump to content
BlackMike Models

Eduard 82102 1/48 P-51D Mustang ProfiPack/Overtree. It's a 2 horse race!

Recommended Posts

Some bits arrived today for Ridge Runner (and the Mengstang).

IMG_7693-600x450.jpg

The kit’s 108 gal paper drop tanks are a bit light on detail so after having 4 goes at building them I gave up and bought the Eduard resin ones. Paint masks for the national insignia and seat belts and canopy masks for the Mengstang.

Duncan B

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a day off from the Mustangs yesterday painting the cockpit of the Me262 but I’m back on the case today.

IMG_7697-600x434.jpg

BBD has legs, flaps and a black rudder. The painting of the rudder went without any hitches. I was a little concerned about masking over the decals but all was fine.

Fitting the undercarriage is a test of patience. It’s impossible to see where the locating hole for the tail leg is once you have the leg in the well. Makes getting the glue in the right spot interesting. The main legs need to have the paint scraped off their locating tabs and a little locating nipple cut off before they will fit because the tolerances are so tight (Eduard, why?).

I guess I need to start putting the stickers on Ridge Runner next.

Duncan B

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dr Loopy said:

That nose looks painted, and the rest made of metal! Nice!

Thanks, the decals eventually settled down reasonably well but I did have to cut out a few of the squares from a spare sheet to cover up some of the worst bits. I don't have the patience to mask and paint something that elaborate. The metal paint is still a bit bright but I know it will dull down once I've got the washes on.

Duncan B

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pottering along today as I’ve been busy with other things. Anyhow I have sealed in the decals on BBD with another brush coat of Aquagloss and had no mystery rust issues so that’s a bonus. Also gave Ridge Runner another coat before starting the decals as she was a bit less shiny than I would like for the stickers to do onto.

IMG_7701-600x332.jpg

I think I’ve gotten away with the earlier decal disaster.

IMG_7699-600x407.jpg

It’s ready for the gazillion decals now. Might start them tonight.

Duncan B

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the stencil decals are now on Ridge Runner (I never want to see a tiny stencil decal ever again) and I'll make a start to the national insignia and squadron markings this afternoon. As I already know that no decal setting solution known to man will make the bigger decals settle down I am going to borrow Mrs B's hair drier and see if a blast from that will make any difference to them. As I have plenty of spare decals I can experiment with reasonable confidence (so long as I don't melt the paint or the plastic).

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some progress on Ridge Runner.

IMG_7705_heic-600x450.jpg

I have blasted the Star and Bar decals with a hair dryer set as hot as I dared. It has helped to get them to conform but they still haven’t smuggled down as nicely as I would have liked, Cartograf quality these are not.

Duncan B

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

its a shame. But knowing eduard they listen to criticism and I guess they will improve them 

The codes and numbers are impressively thin but the decals that have any white on them are horribly thick.

Duncan B

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK for comparison here is BBD after its PLW with a regular black enamel based wash.

IMG_7730-600x450.jpg

And here is RR part way through the process using the oilbrusher. Below and aft of the Star has been done in this photo.

IMG_7729-600x450.jpg

The camera probably isn’t picking it out too well but to my eye the oilbrusher’s result is nicer.

Duncan B

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

the oil does look better

It does seem to hold better. The Eduard surface detail is very nice but very shallow so the enamel wipes out very easily whereas the oil has stayed put. It seemed quicker to apply but I used half a tub of cotton buds getting the stuff back off so swings and roundabouts. My next job is to get some brown 'dirt' to grubby up the areas on the wings where the ground crew would have been, haven't decided what to use for that yet.

Duncan B

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I used half a tub of cotton

That's why I use a piece of kitchen roll (folded to a point) for the big bits and cotton buds just for the fiddly bits.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Panel line wash and general dirtying of the wing around the wing root and gun hatches complete. It’s hopefully not too obvious but will be more obvious compared with BBD which I’m going to leave clean.

IMG_7732_heic-600x450.jpg

I’ll leave that for a couple of days for the oils to dry off before sealing it all in with another clear coat.

I’ve got the drop tanks to paint and weather while that’s drying out.

Duncan B

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...