Che Guava

Albatros - The Fail of the Ancient Modeller.

.....A Checkered Tail. (I'd apologise to Samuel Taylor Coleridge, but he's dead)

Along with a bunch of other stuff I acquired from RWG some months ago, was an already built, painted but incomplete Aero L-39. He'd acquired it 20 years ago from a friend, so now it was at least third hand and if it was useful as spares once, all the useful bits were gone. It was really just a fuselage, wings and tail - but the joint lines had been nicely sorted.

Now, though its a very pretty little trainer, the subject was so far down my build list as to appear at the end of Vol.2 as an addendum. At some point (see rant elsewhere about paint) I'd had trouble with gloss yellow, both in coverage and wrinkling on the 2nd coat - so this wee scrapyard 'plane was perfect to experiment on. 

I first tried a base coat of trainer yellow. That needed two coats to hide the camouflage, then a coat of gloss yellow on top - yet it still needed another to hide the rather 'dirty' nature of trainer yellow. This did allow me to see if 5 days was enough drying time for a 2nd gloss coat. It was.

The poor thing now had six generous coats of paint and looked like one of those early vacforms where the surface detail is all soft and blurry. I happened to be oven-cleaning the paint from another acquisition from RWG, so I dropped the Albatros in the bag with caustic. The paint came off a treat, leaving a rather nice wee model. So out came the gloss yellow again - two coats, no undercoat. Nice finish!

This left me with no option but to invent an undercarriage and ejector seats from spares.......and that's the story so far.....just what I needed, another lock-down project!

a9e4b96f-44bd-4d7f-a7e0-47417eb0f1ee.jpg

42d57531-4f43-4930-b8b6-3b2b04c5a852.jpg

Wheels and modified undcarriage legs and doors from spares that are at least 40 years old! The main doors close again after lowering the u/c, but the kit has the smaller 'leg' doors moulded in place. I should have opened them out but didn't. So sue me.

2ec80ac9-dbbd-4c6f-83cb-e279b7b6f398.jpg

Blush-pink seats from Frog/Novo/Klingon Sea Venom kit, which I won't be using, cut about a bit to somewhat resemble the L-39 seats. The canopy is badly clouded due to some tape holding it in place during storage, if it cleans up at all, maybe it'll still be a bit obscure to help hide my seats and blushes.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Canopy is deceased. It has ceased to be. It is an ex-canopy.

6241408f-4336-4793-b458-5ca099476017.jpg

Cleaning it up revealed a crack, stress-starring and failure to polish up in a reasonable effort. Weird thing is, its vac-form. Did the kit come with it as standard? Who knows?

Never mind, since the kit cost me either nothing, or more than I can ever repay RWG (but that won't stop him trying to collect) I've ordered one of those delicious vac-form canapé confections from Pavlova - £3.50 inc postage. Hope it fits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Still waiting for the canopy to arrive, so I spent some time drawing up and printing out the decals. As usual, the difficult bits went on easily and the easy bits got destroyed.

35381ec1-c6ec-4813-9cf1-16af4ff440b6.jpg

All the self-printed decals went on well - even the tip-tank checkers of which the middle parallel section went on in one piece but the tapered ends had to go on a square at a time....

One-piece tail decal was a mistake. i decided to place it first and trim it afteward. Nope. The ports side went on reasonably well, but trying to trim a wet decal in place was not good.

Not one to learn from only one bad idea, I proceded to apply the starboard side, the excess of which prompty wrapped itself around to the other side and smudged the ink.

48ac0175-4832-4803-b6ee-e7b251a4c15a.jpg

The small type - Aero L39 and The Dogs! - came out much better than I expected, good resolution on my printer! Need to remove the tail decal and print out new ones, plus canopy and a bit of touch up and its done!

Regarding the smudging, I think I'd have got away with it if my coverage of fixer spray had been better. next time i'll give it two light sprays for coverage - one heavy one also smudges the ink, so I had to limit the amount of whoosh. Also, cutting the decals too close to the ink allows the water to bleed along the edges and also causes smudging. Nobody said fun had to be easy.

• Like 4

That looks very very nice.

You'll now need to invest in an Eduard kit and do another one.

g-bzdi-private-aero-l-39-albatros_Planes

27351982051_5963534cd2_b.jpg

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 2

Crikey Che, a bit of a warning might not have gone amiss, blundered straight in and copped 3minutes of flash blindness for my troubles.

Bloody good rescue job.

Edited by DC3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Bloody good rescue job.

More a sort of spaniel/nicotine unprincipled scientific experiment. After much pain, the subject survived. Just.

2 hours ago, RWG686 said:

You'll now need to invest in an Eduard kit and do another one.

That's highly likely. Any idea who produced the kit I used?

PS - RWG686,  I've been waiting for some Donny-induced poltergeistery, so far nothing. He must approve. Keep an eye on your coffee for inappropriate ripples though.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Che Guava said:

Any idea who produced the kit I used?

Ancient KP I suspect.

It was probably a new release when Donnie built it.

Ancient KP my guess too. Nowt wrang with ancient KP kits, decals are shite but otherwise I love em

37 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Ancient KP I suspect.

It was probably a new release when Donnie built it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

You can get them now for peanuts.

:groooansmileyf:What is wrong with you people !!!!??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Postie delivered the canopy not long after I posted the photos without the canopy!

d0eda70b-2edb-46dc-a996-9a3b85041d0f.jpg

Looks very nice indeed. Well packaged, worryingly clear and sharp with nicely marked framing. Far too good for the likes of us. And all for £3.50 incl postage. Well done Pavla and Mr Verney of www.oxoniansplasticfantastic.co.uk, who by now probably wishes he'd chosen a shorter domain name.

Any advice on working with this vacform would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2