Grant

1/96th Savoia S55X

A couple of years ago I had a few wins on ebay and ended up with 2 S55X kits. This one is the smaller 1/96th scale version from the late 50s/early 60s. It is a bit of a clunky kit, with thick plastic rod supplied where rigging wires should be!

The wings had the registration embossed on the undersides and top and bottom had widely spaced, inaccurate ribs moulded on. I rubbed all that off, drilled a few extra canopy windows and used decals from the spares box as none came with the kit.

The kit registration was I-LONG, the lead aircraft of the โ€˜circleโ€™ flight from the green squadron, and I decided to stay with that aircraft.

We could debate colours, but after much deliberation I went with white pontoons and black hull, as per the pontoon section I had seen in the Italian Air Force museum.

I would normally use magnets to mount a model, but thus one came with a big hole in the centre section for a stand (that also wasnโ€™t in the box) so I just made a plasticard hook and set it into the acrylic rod. Seems to work OK.

The wings are AK metals Matt Aluminium over white, the tailplane struts are AK metals Aluminium over gloss black, the white pontoons are just Tamyia fine white undercoat and the rest are Humbrol enamels. Rigging wires are elastane, tacked down with super glue.

Enough waffle. I hope you enjoy the photos!

pic-1.jpg

pic-2.jpg

pic-3.jpg

pic-4.jpg

pic-5.jpg

pic-6.jpg

pic-7.jpg

Cheers

Grant

• Like 8

Nicely done! Sometimes those older kits are very relaxing because they're made from bulletproof plastic and if you mess them up you're no worse off than if you hadn't started (unless, of course you paid a collector's price for it).

And of course now you have something on your display shelf that very few people do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

And of course now you have something on your display shelf that very few people do.

Very true! The bizzare thing about the kit, given its age and origin (USA?), what an unusual subject to choose. Still, glad they did ๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

Looks great

Is it Dora Models that produce a 1/72 kit?
I long to have one xDย 

8 hours ago, Grant said:

Very true! The bizzare thing about the kit, given its age and origin (USA?), what an unusual subject to choose. Still, glad they did ๐Ÿ˜€

They're very well known in the US due to Balbo's visit to the Chicago World's Fair when he brought a few along with him.

I guess so, that was a big event only 30 years before the kit came out. What we really need is a Chicago reporter of the time who actually wrote down what the aircraft colurs schemes were!!

18 hours ago, Walrus said:

Is it Dora Models that produce a 1/72 kit?
I long to have one xDย 

So far Dora have produced the S55, not the S55x, in 1/72. It is quite a different aeroplane, with an open cockpit and uncowled engines. I have yet to check on relative sizes but the Dora S55 kit looks smaller than the Delta 2 S55x kit. This one is a reasonable size at roughly a 25cm wingspan (at 1/96th scale). Actually, in measuring up for the wing markings I came out at 1/94th, but hey its an S55X model! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grant said:

It is quite a different aeroplane, with an open cockpit and uncowled engines.

Thanks for the correction, Grant.
I'm not that familiar with these aircraft I just think they look super cool.
I think the closed canopy on the S55x adds even more cool to the look lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grant said:

I have yet to check on relative sizes but the Dora S55 kit looks smaller than the Delta 2 S55x kit.

The Dora S55 span is 324mm.

• Like 1