Hello All,
I joined this forum not long after it started, on invitation, I think. Very unwise, whoever extended that, but never mind. I have kept a low profile ever since. I did put some stuff up about my boat until...until whenever that was, it was a while ago...when I got fed up with posting stuff on the internet (I had been doing that for too long).

The 1/72 Seafire ‘build’ that I was ‘attempting’ on another forum came to a grinding halt with yet another breakage: it turned out, in fact, to be the final straw. I pondered doing a 1/32 Alouette II wi’ floats for a flying-boat group build (also not here) but we went on holiday to Bonnie Scotland to visit my wife’s aunt. When we got back I didn’t see the point in continuing with that as the boat needed work doing on it, and I was busy with work chores and firefighting stuff.

Now with this lockdown business, I don’t have any firefighting or nuffin’ else, BUT the shed is now 100 % full of junk so the boat is out. I started cleaning up my modelling den so that I could practise in it, and also maybe do some modelling, BUT...

I was confronted by that :realmad::censored::rant: Seafire and it put me right off again. It really made me never want see see another kit ever again years ago, and I think that it’s doing the same to me again now. That build ‘belongs’ to another site, so I can’t really pop it up here, and nor do I want to. I do have at least a dozen other kits at varying stages of not-completion. Is anyone interested in laughing at a Fumble-Fingered Fool mashing his way through any of the following:

1/48 FW 190 A-3 Tamiya, almost complete but wiv a wonky wing;
1/72 FW A-7 Hasegawa w/Eduard etched fret, almost complete but most extremities broke off in tiny pieces (“hangaR rash”, ‘onist);

1/48 Mitsubishi Raiden J2M3 Hasegawa w/Squadron canopy and Eduard etched frets, cockpit largely finished then bits broke off - then bits broke off the bits! Etc, etc.;

1/48 Acc Min P-51 A with stuffed-up interior paint job (Mr Muscle utterly failed to even make a mark on it), broken in pieces when I tried to pull the fuselage apart;

1/72 P-40E Hasegawa w/Eduard fret, barely started;

1/48 Fabric wing Hurricane Classic AF, bit o’ silver paint on resin wheel well;

1/32 MiG-3 Trumpeter, replacement resin rudder rudder half made for it (I had to buy another kit);

1/35 Land Rover 7 ambulance, 2/3-ish finished (broken parts);

1/48 Bf 109 F ICM, engine part-glued;

1/32 EC-135 ADAC Revell (old version) cut off its runners and parts all over the place;

1/48 Westland Wyvern Dynavector, one wing-tank cut from shhet;

1/76 pedestrian footbridge Superquick;

1/48 Spit “Mk IX” Hasegawa with Eduard color fret, fuselage cut into tiny pieces (what a dog!);

1/32 Me 163 Hasegawa, cockpit voids filled with milliput;

1/24 FW 190 A-5, engine banks glued together;

1/48 BAe Hawk RAAF Avalon Air Show 2003 High Planes Models 

1/48 Sepecat Jaguar G-summink Airfix, paint slapped onto a few parts, ugh;

1/48 Panavia Tornado (no idea) Airfix, not sure if I actally started that one,methinks not. I sold the Revell ‘Tiger Meet’ (1/32?) one, sadly;

1/72 Spit Mk IX Profipack Eduard, broken into to rip off certain parts so not in itself really started;

1/72 Spit Mk I (I know, I know, completely too early but some things didn’t change much, we are told), Airfix, ditto;

1/72 DHC-1 Airfix, almost finished but the u/c and prop blades broke off - and as for the 72 diameter x 72 mm high (scale) rivets...

that’s about it. Lots more in the collection, but I made myself swear that I wouldn’t start another kit until I’d finished that monstrous Seafire. I slipped up and researched the Alouette, dragged out some blue foam and cut the opaque cockpit bUbblw bits off their runners, but...

After having rabbited on ad nauseum about all the kits I should do, I really should just get that -ing Seafire’ finished. My apologies for wasting your time 🥺.

For some laughs regarding some of the above-mentioned kits, see this link here.

I’m not called Dr Loopy for nuffin...

Edited by Dr Loopy
Added a kit that I forgot
  • Like 1

If it was me Doc, I'd start with a clean slate, 

grab a 1/48 Tamiya P51b/c and have some fun just because, but if you are going to do any of the above this would be my rationale, 

you got yourself into a rut with multiple builds that have issues, parts dropping off etc. so i would park all those that have issues for the time being until you build some momentum, for the same reason i would also stay away from any of the limited run stuff you have because YOU KNOW they will present the odd problem, this now gives us a few options 

ICM 109f, Not the easiest build and certainly not up to ICM's Lates standards 

Hasegawa P40e this would be my choice just because its Hasegawa it'll fit together and be quite quick 

Airfix spit Mk.1 1/72 Just No panel lines you can lose your hands in and plastic made from recycled soap 

Airfix Jag this belive it or not isn't a bad kit from the collaboration with heller days 

Trumpeter MiG 3 just because this looks like a fun kit i have "nearly Bought" so many times because i love the racer look about it. 

in order 

1, hasegawa P40e 

2, Airfix Jag 

3, Trumpy MiG 3 

Hope that helps  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Loopy said:

1/72 Spit Mk IX Profipack Eduard, broken into to rip off certain parts so not in itself really started;

1/72 Spit Mk I (I know, I know, completely too early but some things didn’t change much, we are told), Airfix, ditto;

That's you sorted for the upcoming Spitfire build then :D

1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

Hasegawa P40e this would be my choice just because its Hasegawa it'll fit together and be quite quick 

This would get my vote too..

Get a huge box and put everything else into it. A Box of Doom if you like.

I would also get rid of the 'put everything in small containers' habit we have talked about and only cut the bits off as you need them.

I will metaphorically keep prodding you with a pointy stick on our other communication channel to avoid cluttering up the threads here. :police:

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

That's you sorted for the upcoming Spitfire build then :D

This would get my vote too..

Get a huge box and put everything else into it. A Box of Doom if you like.

I would also get rid of the 'put everything in small containers' habit we have talked about and only cut the bits off as you need them.

I will metaphorically keep prodding you with a pointy stick on our other communication channel to avoid cluttering up the threads here. :police:

Nah do it on here it'll give us a laugh 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember that 'kin Seafire from BITD.

Octopus II IIRC,a known pig of a builder.

Surely there's an Airfix RN Bucc for sale somewhere down there?

• Like 1

Hello @Grunhertz, @RWG686 and @Miggers,

Thanks to you all for your sage advice and kind words. I will mull it over, sleep on it and otherwise ponder upon it. The shortlist of three sounds good, I will select one. And sadly, there don’t seem to be any RN Buccaneers left in the wild in this neck o’ the woods. Probably just as well, anyway. One of my main supply sources emailed me back this morning to say that said kit is on backorder with the distributor, ETA unknown...

Cheers,

The loopy one.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Miggers said:

I remember that 'kin Seafire from BITD.

Octopus II IIRC,a known pig of a builder.

Surely there's an Airfix RN Bucc for sale somewhere down there?

Being dead rude ter pigs, that is!

I agree with @Grunhertz on the clean slate.

None of the broken/part/finished stuff is good for the mind. It will always be unsatisfactory in some way shape or form; plus it’s very hard to have fun with such shelf of doom stuff.

Yes, put in a box, tape it up and get a nice big lump ha..

Oops.

Hasegawa P40e is a nice kit. The Academy is too. Don’t really understand why either get the flak that they do; They build up into very clean, pleasant looking models. 

A certain Laird of Strathclyde on here provided me with a Hobbyboss Mig 15 some time ago.

It has about two parts and looks the part. I’m working up to it. You could always buy any Hobbyboss kit from that range. They’re ok. Build, Paint. Stand back. Enjoy .

Get box of old kits, get lump ha..

Oops, I did it again 😉 

If you start one; I promise that I will 👍.

Good luck with whatever you choose 😊 

A

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Arctica 123 said:

If you start one; I promise that I will 👍.

Good luck with whatever you choose 😊 

‘S a deal! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

1, airfix hawker hunter f.6

2, hasegawa P40e 

3, Airfix Jag 

4, Trumpy MiG 3 

So, any one out the above four, eh? Wait a minute, how did the Hunter F.6 get in there? :D :D :D. Maybe not at the moment!
Still scratchin’ me hoary head...

Let me see...

eeny, meeny, miney, mo...

Nah, still a bit early to decide 😅

Edited by Dr Loopy
Hit the wrong button
  • Haha 1

I’ve been sniffing through the various kit boxes: so far, the two P-40 Es, and the 190 A-7 (eh?). I’m wivvin a snail’s sneeze (ahchooo! aaargh!) o’ finishing the 190, having hoovered up 99 % of the Eduard PE fret what I got for it - and I have all the parts except for the PE drop tank cap 🤷‍♂️.

This is more than can be said for the P-40 which, while they also have 1 x (untouched) colour (😱) PE fret between them, they also have less than 200 % parts/2. I suspect that this is the reason for the second kit: supplementing missing parts. Supporting this hem hem cough theory is the fact that one (the complete one) is much newer than t’other, and that the old one (judging by the degraded transfer sheet) spent some time in the workswamp*at the last place, which is where many things vanished never to be seen again**.

The ICM 109 F-4 appears to have all its parts and the instructions 😱and transfers (including two badly out-o’-register Grünhertzen 😬) for 4 Maschinen*** all in 1942 (Ukraine x2, Finland und Russland). This, despite having been slightly started and having my usual surgery on end-opening (🤮🤮🤮) boxes performed on...its box. I’m not sure how that’s happened, but I’m not complaining!

That leaves the MiG-3 racer 😃 (see Grunhertz’s X post above), which I have yet to dig out from under the desk.

I’ll do that shortly. I have been taking phone snaps along the way, and will post them if I can remeber how to beat Flickr into submission (did Yahoo do a number on poor Flickr when they got their venomous filthy paws on it 🥺). And also cajole my foan into uploading to said site

More in a bit.

Cheers,

El Loopo.

* Oh dear. The place where we lived before the Blue Mountains was on a steep hillside in temperate rainforest (complete wi’ leeches) and had what amounted to a respectable creek (in non-drought times, and even in droughts too) running under it. This is where clever-clogs decided to build its workshop...after 17 years fighting it I declared myself beat.

** Including what little remained back then of what pleased me to call my sanity 🤪...

*** I’m currently attempting to learn Deutsch using some books and a couple of ipad apps 🤣🤣🤣 es ist sehr lustig und komisch.

Edited by Dr Loopy

5 hours ago, Dr Loopy said:

Being dead rude ter pigs, that is!

I went to your Flickr account and looked.

I'm afraid your above statement is completely untrue.

I eye'd that Octopus kit up when it came out years ago(Hoo!!,a Seafire in a kit!!),suffice it to say that I'm very glad

that I "made my own" from a Spit Vb:laugh:.

Learning Deutsch?

There's only a few words of Deutsch that you need to know my man:

Junkers,Heinkel,Focke-Wulf,Messerschmitt,Panzer and possibly ,ein,zwei,drei.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Miggers said:

I went to your Flickr account and looked.

I'm afraid your above statement is completely untrue.

I eye'd that Octopus kit up when it came out years ago(Hoo!!,a Seafire in a kit!!),suffice it to say that I'm very glad

that I "made my own" from a Spit Vb:laugh:.

Learning Deutsch?

There's only a few words of Deutsch that you need to know my man:

dont forget zwei bier bitte 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s a right pity that a noctopus din’t eye it off afore it were released into the wild! :poo: :realmad::censored::rant:

It’s piggier than a piggy fing!

40 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Ja, das ist richtig. Me poor ‘ead is still spinning from the Dative case and friends :blink:.

Well done that man, using a Spit Vb 👍🏼. Although I have to say, I’m still well pleased wi’ t’ head armour plate and attachment hardware, despite ye carpet monster* chewing a corner off’n it.

OK. I’ve checked out the Mig - almost all parts appear to be there, although I had to go out to the shed for the instruction booklet, since I keep the instructions separate from the kits. Clever, eh what? The 1 mm rods for the control surfaces appear to have done a bunk, the wee scunners, but I can replace them with something similar without too much difficulty. 

Hey oop. Mr Grunhertz have replied, I had better go and have a butcher’s.

* Actually a tile monster since I have no carpet in me wittle den of iniquity.

Edited by Dr Loopy
I really should know better than to use a nipad for forum scribbling

48 minutes ago, Dr Loopy said:

Actually a tile monster

OH NO!

PRODIGIUM LATERM is far worse than PRODIGIUM TAPETE, because they tend to take their food further away from the source. Scraps of their food have been found many metres away from the point of origin. These scraps usually show evidence of crushing too.

Perhaps if you were to leave it those little plastic containers you mentioned, it would leave the kits alone but don't do it all at once..they're clever sods and will soon see through your ploy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rightio. Here's some snaps as promised.

Starting with the 1/72 FW 190:

1. 1/72 FW 190 A-7 cockpit

49925839182_e098d71759_b.jpg

2. Engine fan and prop blades; Fan blades are PE

49925542161_722cfee0b8_b.jpg[/url]

3. 190 armoured headrest in canopy; flaps in foreground

49925545641_bf60312b17_b.jpg[/url]

4. Canopy placed over PE frame

49925847402_c2182273d5_b.jpg

5. Undercarriage legs and wheels. PE brake lines and scissor-links. I can't remember whose RLM Grau 02 I used, but it might have been acrylic

49925549786_e705f37ed4_b.jpg

6. Etched flaps

49925551201_da4b9a9699_b.jpg

7. U/C legs covers with photo-etched framework added

49925032298_3fd79952b4_b.jpg

8. Seat and belts. This poor wee thing is in definite need of a cleanup

49925034818_cba03125a2_b.jpg

9. ICM Bf 109 F-4. My standard treatment for end-opening boxes

49925038508_d5e3037086_b.jpg

10. 1/32 MiG-3 - box lid

49925563636_6bc70902b0_b.jpg

11. MiG-3 - parts

49925865282_d4c767e248_b.jpg

12. Or then there’s this 🤣

49925861492_25ee9719c9_b.jpg

13. Or this big box o’ bits!

49925054698_a6ed6a0588_b.jpg

14. 1/72 P-40 E with Eduard 'Color'[sic.] PE set. A bit of British Interior Grey-green from a Gunze lacquer set

49925348618_8cc3c8dfc0_b.jpg

Some notes to follow.

• Like 1

Ah, OK.

I seemed to dwell most on the little Focke-Wulf. That had a lot of work done on it - almost as much as the Raiden which preceded it in my 'build' 'sequence'.

If I did the P-40 I would feel compelled to use the etched set since I only have one full kit that size. Hmm. The190 A and D series are some of my favourite planes, I have to confess.

Edited by Dr Loopy

How about a 1/48 Me 262 or a DH Mozzie? Now I'm getting silly.

The MiG is very nice - I had forgotten how nicely-engineered it was. I meant to take some snaps of the resin rudder copy, but there are some already up on Flickr:

1. Various moulding attempts: I really need(ed) an de-airing box. That would have reduced the number of short-shots.

20647664796_04b8045a4e_b.jpg.

Right. I will have a read of the Eduard instructions this evening and see what I think. The trickiest set so far has been the Raiden, even at 1/48. There's nothing that I don't want to finish with the possible exception of that dratted Seafire, which I could quite happily see on fire. Head armour plate excepted :D.

Edited by Dr Loopy

13 minutes ago, Dr Loopy said:

I would feel compelled to use the etched set

If the aim is to get you back in the groove then I would leave that infernal stuff well alone.

You know that using PE with PRODIGIUM LATERM in the room is asking for trouble.

• Like 1