Mad Steve

STEVE'S SHIFTING OF THE SHELF OF SHAME....

Afternoon everyone :) 

I'm building an Aircraft... a big aircraft, and it gets a bit boring, so I thought I might get shifted of the stuff on the shelf we all look at and look away quickly again and pretend its not there :) 

So if you'll permit me, it wont be a build thread, just a finished thread with a bit of waffle... 

First up..

#1 Hasegawa 1972 Suzuki GT380. 

Hasegawa's newish kit (2017), bought in 2018, started with mucho gusto and then petered out and basically stopped dead. Hasegawa'a bikes are excellent, but in my opinion a little over complicated in some area's (three piece fuel tap for example), but they are bringing out some excellent kits of late, check out the Kawasaki KH 400, fantastic!. Hasegawa's tubing is also thinner than the normal Tamiya tubing, bit more in scale. 

Anyway, finished in Tamiya Light metallic blue and a couple of coats of Clear.The only thing I don't like is the chrome parts. They are too shiny so I sprayed the whole runner with semi gloss clear before I started. Having said before some areas are over complicated, there are some they could be a bit more detailed, like the rear shocks.

20200426_160437.thumb.jpg.090bd91978aee59c88068dbf91a37150.jpg

#2 - Tamiya Yamaha XV1600 Roadstar

This is an old bugger... I started this about 5 years ago and the original idea was to do it in something along the lines of old lotus colours, British racing green and yellow.... Not quite sure why I chose that but hey, maybe it was a Monday :) 

I started the build and stripped the chrome off the wheels and sprayed them BRG, and for some reason,(probably a monday again) the paint reacted with the plastic and produced a whack load of like air bubbles.Suitably miffed, it went back in the box. Now about 2 years ago a friend gave me a shoe box full of bike bits, and there at the bottom, was a broken XV 1600 frame, but two perfect wheels :) 

And so its been off and on since then. I stripped the bodywork all back again, and this time painted it Tamiya Coral Blue and Racing White and then realised that the work that had been done, it would only take about and hour and a half to finish it off.

I'm not a fan of the Harley type bikes, but Indians.... oooooooh yes :), and this colour scheme sort of harks back to that era, but in one mahoosive package. It really is a fantastic kit, I just don't like the rear mudguard, really is a bit naff. I do like the chrome in this kit, it has a satin finish and looks spot on

20200428_112255.thumb.jpg.9a1e251941fe1dcf34c3077c9028bb95.jpg

That's it for now, but don't worry, more to come :) 

• Like 4

very nice

never done a hasegawa bike kit

that GT is really nice, someone i used to work with has nearly finished restoring a real one

• Like 1

Afternoon Everyone :) 

Been a bit quiet of late, mostly boredom and giving up smoking not permitting me to be out in polite company :) 

But I have been doing some modelling 

#3 Revell VW T3 Camper 

A bit sad for me to admit, but this is a kit I've been wanting to build for quite a while... So I was quite happy when I got my hands on one a couple of years ago, and started in earnest. 

I cant actually remember why I lost interest, but It went back into its box after I had finished the chassis... I think it was the horrible decals that are supposed to go around the cupboard doors on the inside. It did come out the box once or twice again, and a bit done here and there, but generally it just hovered about on the shelf looking sad and mopey :) 

Aaaaaaand fast forward a bit and wallah...

20200530_145419.thumb.jpg.6c6e0a6db539fe882f58b1274c904be8.jpg

To be quite honest, this isn't a very nice kit. Firstly its pretty old, so the mold quality is a bit off, and really the most important thing, it doesn't go together very well... The body and chassis were quite warped and the way that the body actually attaches to the chassis is not really the best and its difficult trying to get it all to fit together nicely... It took me a couple of hours just to get the rear door on properly.

I wasn't going to paint it white, I don't like doing white vehicles, so I saw a green one on google so painted it TS 35 Park Green :) 

One thing I don't like is that details on the side of the camper are actually decals, and not molded as is the norm nowadays, but I suppose in 82 when it was first released it was like shuuwaaah and super cool :) 

Ok then, its done, its finished.... I finished it because I wasn't going to let it beat me :) 

• Like 2

Nice finish on your shiny green body Steve, have you been working out? A few more photos would be very nice.

Its getting a nice finish like that that makes me wary of doing civilian stuff.

• Thanks 1

Honestly Gorbs, its just rattle can green and rattlecan clear over that. (Tamiya). None of the 2 part stuff that brings out the REALLY shiny finish. If you can do a nice smooth finish on a hairyplane, you can easily do it on a car using cans 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Been a bit quiet of late, mostly boredom and giving up smoking not permitting me to be out in polite company

Who is this 'polite company' that you mention in passing?

I like your wee diversion VW but go on you can trust us..what are you really secretly working away at?

45 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Who is this 'polite company' that you mention in passing?

I like your wee diversion VW but go on you can trust us..what are you really secretly working away at?

Well compared to some people I know Richard, you lot are quite polite company, even tho some of you wear skirts and talk foreign 

What am i secretly working on.... ahhh, now that would be telling :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Well compared to some people I know Richard, you lot are quite polite company, even tho some of you wear skirts and talk foreign 

Are you talking about us mob here in Scotland or @Jessie_C?

2 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

What am i secretly working on.... ahhh, now that would be telling :) 

It's a Spitfire, innit :D 

• Haha 1

If i was talking about Jessie, it would have read some of you wear skirts hey and talk foreign hey😁

And no, its not a Spitfire, Id ban myself for actually stooping that low 😁

• Like 1