Paul Brown

Hobby Boss 1/72 Kamov Ka 50

This has not been a good week, primarily because I have a collapsed spinal disc that is prone to popping out, which is exactly what happened Saturday last. Cue two days of not being able to stand up straight, finally popped back in when I tightened up my back support as hard as possible. Still sore and extremely grumpy. Finally got enough mojo to sit at bench (getting up is fun, not), searching for parts to work on, bugger and blast it canopy and main undercarriage leg have gone AWOL. Now thinking this is a binned build, so work on other projects. Then I thought they can't be far away so had massive sort through/tidy up. Canopy found, leg still AWOL. Leave it for a bit, then try again, leg found directly under where I work, almost engulfed by carpet monster and in two pieces rather than one. Thankfully repairable and now being left overnight for glue to set fully before I attempt to clean it all up. 

• Sad 3

Get well soon Paul, I yanked my back last year and it took an age to sort, so can empathise what you're going through.

All you can do is rest as much as you can. 

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

Get well soon Paul

Cheers. I've had this problem for a long time, there's usually an 'episode' every 6-12 months, in fact the last one was rather more than 12 months ago.  

The modelling gods have been most unkind during the course of this build, as well as the hassle mentioned above various other banana skins have been dropped for me to slip up on. First, here's the current state of play.

DSC_0117.thumb.JPG.d62c2b2c2b243d058eb04590bd46d799.JPG

Various lumpy bits have been added, which all add to the charm of this particular airframe in my view. Having recovered the canopy and gear legs, the leg was repaired, requiring a sliver of tube that was quite tricky to cut, plus I drilled all the way through the strut to reinforce it with wire. The legs still need a bit of a tidy up to scrape off excess etc. Banana skin no 2. Having been persuaded to exchange folding wedge in return for Gauzy Agent a while back, I thought I'd give it a try. Bad move. After dipping and leaving it covered for a good 24 hours, when I picked it up again there were little lumpy bits on the surface. Tried polishing them out. Nope. Out with the 99% IPA and swabs. About an hour later it was all removed. Then polished with Tamiya compound, buffed and finished with a painted on lick of Klear. Fixed. The 'zorsts are tricky because they come in halves and like a Harrier nozzle have the twin vanes. This is not a good thing to try and glue together then patch up afterwards. I recently obtained some Mr Dissolved Putty and like everything else produced by Gunze it has been a godsend and by building up layers it has been possible to make good the vanes without too much filing/sanding.

DSC_0119.thumb.JPG.2739047564c2ebe058baa6a69b6be05f.JPG

Banana skin no 3. I managed to drop the fuselage whilst working on it and in attempting to catch it managed to break off the mast. Fortunately I have brass tube in stock, so now there is a bush that runs all the way through the fuselage and a shaft added to the mast. Everything is now hunky dory (as per pic at the top). It may be a blessing in disguise because I'll be able to remove the rotors for transport if it does ever get taken to a show.

DSC_0118.thumb.JPG.a37dda8480c1225ecfc36f15c3f1f726.JPG

If you're wondering why the fuselage is perched on a paint pot it's because there's a moulded on blade aerial underneath and I'm trying to avoid a breakage. There may be a case for deliberately removing and putting it back on at the end, but we'll see how it gets on (or off, as it were).

• Like 3

I haven't put this on the SoD - yet! There's just been too much other stuff going on and it's taken a back seat. I also keep running up dead ends trying to find stuff, such as what colours to do the rotor mast in? No two airframes are alike, it seemed like my best bet was a green grey colour, so RLM 02 it is. The visible bits of shaft seem to be a dirty white , with the odd bit of natural metal here and there, I still have that to do. Also I've been putting off my least favourite job, canopy masking, did it this evening in a relatively short space of time. There's a gap in the middle of the cockpit coaming where a HUD should go, but Hobby Boss don't supply a HUD. I chopped and folded a piece of acetate to fit (it only took two attempts) and painted the borders in black. The real thing has a fancy framework that would make even the best of PE guys whistle through their teeth. So here's the story so far. I'm off to glue the canopy, after that paintshop time later this week.

DSC_0182.thumb.JPG.f110699bb4b52d13fd7fcb52cdea8a45.JPG

• Like 3

Great stuff Paul, with russian stuff i find generally blue or Turqoise works for cockpits, RLM02 works for interior bits or hust natural aluminium BUT as you say No two aircraft are the same, which is a curse and a joy at the same time. Add to that you can't exactly go to russia and start clambering inside a modern job and the older stuff has been repainted so many times its unbelievable nobody can say for sure! I can produce 4 different colours of MiG 21 Undercarriage bays for example 

• Like 2

I've moved this out of the GB, but I intend to complete the build although I ran out of mojo with the prospect of masking up for the paintwork. Having spent time on some other stuff I feel ready to continue. I'd actually primed all the ancillary bits in Mr Surfacer black and also some black areas on the airframe itself. Out with some masking tape to cover up the black areas and the show is back on the road, we now have Mr Surfacer white that I thought would be a better base for the pastel camo colours.

DSC_0226.thumb.jpg.d31bd88c6781fb43d9e76749d02eaf66.jpg

The white set a bit grainy, so I gave it a squirt of neat levelling thinner. It's a little rough to the touch, but I'm past the stage of getting fussed about it to be honest. 

• Like 3