Paul Brown

Hobby Boss 1/72 Kamov Ka 50

OK, 'ere we go. Normally I'd go for a sharkmouth scheme, but this time the groovy camo wins. I might actually start cutting plastic later today some time.

DSC_0918.thumb.JPG.7521939faafe81b3e2d557b92479d1df.JPG

DSC_0921.thumb.JPG.a86c3d4aebfb115b58f866b49e755983.JPG

• Like 6

Finally got around to actually doing something. The fuselage parts are satisfyingly chunky, but there's some hideous pin marks on the inside that might be visible through the canopy, so these were filled. I snipped off the tub, seat and panel and these were given a squirt of primer. That's all so far. 

DSC_0031.thumb.jpg.8484cf9af28532f5660585fd71488d93.jpg

• Like 7

My Hokum went on hold, but back to it. I spent time looking for cockpit references and what I've learned is that every Hokum has its own internal colours! Which apart from having other stuff on the bench was enough to trigger a bout of severe procrastination. To add insult to injury when I finally said sod it, the cockpit panel painting failed miserably, so no close up! It should look OK(ish) through the canopy. I'm disappointed Hobby Boss didn't supply any decals for the panels, but there you go. Ejection seat firing handles came from an old PP Aeroparts set.

DSC_0064.thumb.JPG.914d3c17271a9ddb0f3e656c76b7b73b.JPG 

• Like 4

Is no need be concerned. Is all terribly secret, and FSB would want word with you if you were to make cockpit accurate.

• Haha 1

Russian cockpits before 1970 light blue, 70's to flanker bright blue, flanker onwards light blue, that's what works for me, looking good 

Blue was predominant, but there are some that are black, with variations of blue and black! A common theme was a black bulkhead behind the seat, black floor and sidewalls up to the panels. Looking at photos you wonder how anybody getting into the seat wearing combat rig can get their feet and legs around the ejection handles without setting the whole thing off. The HUD is on a complicated mounting, mine will be much simplified, scratch built because Hobby Boss don't supply one. 

my guess would be it blows the rotors off before the ejection fires, but otherwise thats gonna be a pain in the head neck chest stomach etc.......

• Haha 1

The rotor heads have an explosive system, in theory the the blades disappear faster than brown stuff off a shovel if you initiate the ejection sequence. I can't say I'd be too keen to try it out.

• Like 1

If the option is to ride what's effectively become a greased anvil right into a smoking hole in the ground, I think I'd be willing to try the bang seat...

• Haha 2

No, you have to try that before blowing off the rotor blades. This is why emergency checklists are so terribly important.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

This is why emergency checklists are so terribly important.

I used to get into a complete funk when the instructor shut down the little fan at the front and declared, 'right, emergency landing'.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

The rotor heads have an explosive system,

At Farnborough,I forget which year,the Russians had a Ka-50 in the static display.

I had a good chat with the young lady manning the stand and she explained that there is a micro delay to make sure that the individual blades sheared cleanly beore the rocket extraction system fires.

She had a good laugh when I told her at first I though it was a downward style seat like the Tu-22 or F-104. Not much use at 50 feet is it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

I used to get into a complete funk when the instructor shut down the little fan at the front and declared, 'right, emergency landing'.

Some farmer certainly would if you bonked it down in one his fields,then started up and "mowed the lawn"

on your take off run...........xD

19 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Some farmer certainly would if you bonked it down in one his fields

I was getting my turn as 'sir' at an ATC AEF and my chauffeur was a Harrier jock in between postings, so he was doing AEF to keep his hand in. After letting me bimble around the Cambridgeshire skies for 20 minutes he says 'mind if a shoot a practice forced landing?' 'Course you can' says I. Now I hadn't forgotten my air law and I'm pretty certain the approach was well below what was legal, but who am I to question a Harrier jock?!

13 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

I was getting my turn as 'sir' at an ATC AEF and my chauffeur was a Harrier jock in between postings, so he was doing AEF to keep his hand in. After letting me bimble around the Cambridgeshire skies for 20 minutes he says 'mind if a shoot a practice forced landing?' 'Course you can' says I. Now I hadn't forgotten my air law and I'm pretty certain the approach was well below what was legal, but who am I to question a Harrier jock?!

All good as long as he remembered that he wasn't in a Harrier and was having difficulty finding the nozzle lever!!!!

• Haha 1

It was a textbook engine out procedure and I got a running commentary, a real pro. A great learning experience. One thing I noticed on AEF is that pilots would always go through pre-flight and downwind checks by saying them out aloud, I don't know if that was habitual or for the benefit of the passenger. Thinking about it I used to say them out aloud so an instructor knew I was doing it properly, but I still said them out aloud if I was flying solo.

• Like 1

Aaand...back on topic. The rotor mast is comprised of 12 components and something of a fiddle to assemble. The parts are mostly overscale, simplified and the instructions tell you to colour it 'metal black', but photo references show mostly grey colours. If you were feeling really keen you could do a lot to add detail and replace the overscale stuff, but I'm not feeling really keen, so handsome is as handsome does. Unlike the Revell/Zvezda kit it's not possible to chop things up a bit so the rotors can be spun in opposite directions. The transom like part that supports the mast has a couple of big pin divots and they're on the topside so possibly visible. Mr Dissolved Putty to the rescue.

DSC_0072.thumb.JPG.610ccf03b871aa5f6ede4dc7ea5e95fa.JPG

The fuselage goes together without too much trouble, you have to wobble the transom thingum here and there until it engages, likewise the tub needs aligning with some care as it is quite a precise fit. Having assembled it the thought occurred that nose weight might be required - it's not mentioned in the instructions. Upon advice from Mr Wilks some time ago about how useful tattoo ink pots are for preparing paint mixes I'm in possession of fahzands of 'em (you can buy hundreds at a time for a couple of quid off of The Bay). I selected a few of the smallest, filled them with shot, sealed the tops with cyano, then glued them in behind the cockpit via the engine hatch aft of the rotor mast. Tail sitting shouldn't be a problem.

DSC_0074.thumb.JPG.f9259ac7b72c7ec85b359a6c7e412039.JPG

• Like 2