Walrus

I'm a Sea King, see me fly!

The kits to chooses from:
hxa0xdsk7odtk7l6g.jpg

s5y1krdentunfaa6g.jpg

With a possible contribution from the old Airfix kit if I need the old type rotor blades 

wakar3i0gt6u7qe6g.jpg

Also have the new Airfix kit but being a Commando will probably not be appropriate for the intended subjects

A HAS1 (or possibly HAS2) of 824 NAS Ark Royal c1974-77 
Westland_Sea_King_HAS2,_UK_-_Navy_AN1339

and a HU5 of 771 NAS (decals courtesy of Richard 

Goodbye-771-Naval-Air-Squadron%E2%80%93U

Those that know of my glacial modelling pace and inability to finish a GB on time won't have missed the irony of the opening video. 
I'd like to build both but will be lucky to finish one.  

@Grunhertz In accordance with GB rules will start a seperate thread ifI manage to begin a second kit

• Like 7

An excellent choice of subject (apart from the third one …… unless you are going to do that in Naval colours! :laughing:). Looking forward to seeing your builds, love the Seaking and love the Revell kit, although that version of the Airfix kit is a bit meh and tired.

Cheers now

Bob

Edit: Just read properly about the contribution of the Airfix kit, to be honest its just as easy to backdate the Revell blades than to try and make the airfix ones fit. Its cutting away material rather than building up.

Edited by Blue Noser
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blue Noser said:

apart from the third one …… unless you are going to do that in Naval colours! :laughing:). Looking forward to seeing your builds, love the Seaking and love the Revell kit, although that version of the Airfix kit is a bit meh and tired.

xD it's only included incase I need to cannibalise some of the parts.
I may need the early type main rotor blades for the HAS1 
It also has a spare 5 blade tail rotor, but I discovered so does the HAS6/AEW2 kit 

12 hours ago, Walrus said:

The kits to chooses from:

Remember that the sponsons in the Revell kit are undersised.

I used the old Airfix kit as a donor.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

Remember that the sponsons in the Revell kit are undersised.

Hmmm I don't know about that Richard, I'll have to ask them.
First, a word from our sponsons...

:X:  That was bad even by my low standards

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, beowulf said:

i think things look nice in yellow 😁

Especially bananas, oh how I want a banana 

5 hours ago, skwonk said:

HAS 1 but please not 82fool sqd. And nothing in yellow! 

The two photos are the schemes to be done 
One will be 824 NAS as my brother was on the Ark Royal, and that one is for him.  Sorry Skwonk 
As someone from Facebook kindly donated the decals I feel even more honour bound to build it 

Dare I ask what it is about 834 NAS that earned your scorn?

Two things I do not like about Revell kits.
The crumple as soon as you look at 'em boxvelopes and the cryptic paint colour listing

I've chosen to start with the HAS6/AEW2 boxing (see above) and the "box" has been recycled.
First thing was to relocate the kit to a better hanger, 
494fg6d9d20n7pi6g.jpg

biydy0xnq0jtvfi6g.jpg

z1n3p4vgjoo2urb6g.jpg

cthnsi5fyk8sceh6g.jpg

q35jwca8cjwn6hy6g.jpg

8l1dfh8pz9v2no56g.jpg

88dk6t1abkql24n6g.jpg

And thanks once again to Richard for the decals
if41nn5tm3nx0qu6g.jpg

Hope the RN fans will forgive any indiscretions and inaccuracies on my part 
I'll do my best but want to try and actually complete a GB entry on time.

First of all, what bloomon' colour for the interior?! lol

Now to sort out the colours.

• Like 4

On 20/03/2020 at 20:13, Jessie_C said:

You could combine your interests...

I did have one in the stash until two nights ago...*burp* 

58 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Best move of the GB so far I tend to seal up the ends of the box then  cut a lid in the top 

The box was in too bad a shape, Darren.
Unlike me, a fine figure of a man ... as scarecrows go! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Walrus said:

First of all, what bloomon' colour for the interior?

50 shades of grey?

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/WESTLAND_Sea_King_Walkaround_N16-118_Nowra_2014/content/WESTLAND_Sea_King_Walkaround_N16-118_Nowra_2014_72_GrubbyFingers_large.html

It's an Australian one but shouldn't be too different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 5:54 PM, Walrus said:

First of all, what bloomon' colour for the interior?! lol

It depends on time frame, if you go 90's then the whole cabin and cockpit would be medium sea grey, Around 2000 onwards the cockpit would have been black and everything in it was black.

Edit: Your chosen scheme of 2001 would be a change over time, so you could get away with either or, If I was doing it I would swing for MSG all over.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:54 PM, Walrus said:

Hope the RN fans will forgive any indiscretions and inaccuracies on my part

Promise I wont be too critical 😁 just don't paint it yellow and then your on to a winner!

Bob

Edited by Blue Noser
  • Thanks 1

On 21/03/2020 at 23:49, RWG686 said:

50 shades of grey?

So it's a flying pleasure room!  
Who'd have thought it! xD 

Thanks Richard and Bob, 
Have finally dropped on some interior pics to work from 

Before I get around to anything else there is a small matter of filling the empty space that is the engine bay 
It's not too prominent but could be seen through the front glazing and if I want to display with the side door open it will be very apparent
Airfix's new kit provides a ceiling which seems conform to the Revell kit interior fairly well.
h6r2et4pwjbkseh6g.jpg

916hx6w2slccimp6g.jpg

My first thought was to use it to make a template, which still may happen but via plan B
Have started to shove some Milliput into the bay making sure to leave space for the rotor pin 
This will leave a seam line but that is where the template will come in handy and will help to fashion a skin to cover the Milliput.

Professional modellers will be rolling their eyes but proper workmanship is not the Way of the Walrus, not when there is bodging to be done!
Muddling through is the name of the game

While the first rolls of Milliput are curing I will address the seats as soon as I find their post codes.
Was going to build this OOB but thanks to Richard I have realised that the seats are not up to par and so I will get out the greenstuff and make some nice comfy cushions for the pilots. 

• Like 4

On 24/03/2020 at 07:27, Grunhertz said:

Good stuff paul I don't know how you 1/72 guys do it but I'm glad you do 

Thanks Darren, I'm starting to wonder why the bloody hell we do it! xD 
At last I have something to show.

Have been faffing about with milliput in the engine bay and shaping plasticard with the Airfix roof part so as to skin the gap between the fuselage halves.
Having sort of sorted that out to a degree of satisfaction I've been playing with the radar operator's station and the flooring
The kit part is for the HAS6 whereas the HU5 only has the section with the radar display so the part was chopped in half and a strip of styrene added to widen the little "compartment"
The instructions call for the screen/curtain (part 11) to be cut away but the HU5 has the screen intact with the frame so was left in one piece.

As for the floor the entire raised detailing was scraped and sanded off, though because I had not yet realised half the radar equipment was superfluous, I sanded of the bumps meant for the fold down seating.
The holes I drilled are now for the seat legs and I need to make some other tie down holes (or at least that is what I think they are for.

Behind the starboard pilot's seat the bulkhead has a boxed in area, which has a holstered flare gun and storage for the cartridges, which was easy enough to box in.
Gonna be fun making a 1/72 scale flare gun! xD 

Finally I added some stringers with square section styrene and just now finished adding the vertical ribs. I tried to follow the panel lines 
Added an extra set of vertical ribs on the starboard side front section as a photo shows that to be very busy with the ribbing.
I'll leave off doing any more as I think it gives enough flavour even if not 100% accurate! 
Will add a few bits of wiring and extra details, but next job is to scratch some new pilots seats.

No chance of getting this done for the deadline now.  And it was supposed to be an OOB job :hrhr:
Richard's fault! 😜 

eqv86aadkgs60e06g.jpg

cr3jok6hj3h5s706g.jpg

0c2gnub0yr6s8uu6g.jpg

0jgvw9ofq5n1ct86g.jpg

2rzca57wubezkl56g.jpg

The roof skinning is just held on by blu-tac and does fit better than the picture suggests, honest guv!
Slow progress but at least it feels like I have done some modelling at last! 

One thing I have no idea about is what goes on behind the black screen at the rear of the radar instruments (ie forward of the operator's station. 
I suspect that if Toto was on board he would pull aside the curtain to reveal an old chap pulling levers!

BTW the rear interior space is padded with none of the framework visible.
I'm debating whether or not to replicate some of the fabric in that area. 
The front section is extremely busy with sound proofing coiled wires for headphones, straps and all manner of gubbins 
There is no way I can replicate half of it mainly due to a lack of understanding what the bloomin heck is going on from the images available! 😕 
But it definitely needs some more stuff in there! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

You've got months yet.

It's years I need though Darren! xD 

• Haha 2

On 04/04/2020 at 01:30, Walrus said:

he would pull aside the curtain to reveal an old chap pulling levers!

... very prescient as @RWG686 pops up you yank your chain (not a euphemism)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

I heard a rumour that @Walrus is doing a Sea King. Is there any truth in it ?

Fake news!  The Lame Stream Media are always making up mean things about me!  Sad!

I want to finish the Scammell first and then I'll see how I go from there.
Haven't been able to do much of anything this week but with luck can get on with my under a tenner build to help get back into things
Today is the first day in over a week when I haven't slept through the daytime.
Desperately hoping I can become diurnal for a change. 

• Haha 3