AMK 1/48 F-14D Tomcat in progress

One question on the exhaust ducts - how are you breaking that down to eliminate the seams?  The conventional way would be to make the duct in halves to be joined, but I always find that requries some filling and sanding to eliminate the seam.  I was discussing this problem with a friend, and he suggested making the duct as rings to be stacked on top of each other.  That way, the seam is radial in the grooves and more easily hidden.  It should be no more tedious than say building link by link tracks for tanks.

Jens

Interestingly, there was a post by Spencer Pollard, on the Tamiya Mag Fb today, saying  "If you've watched the video, you will know how impressed I was initially with this kit - now that it's finished, those feelings are only amplified. This kit is simply the best 1:48 kit I have ever built."

He says that about all new Tamiya kits.   This AMK one however, appears to simple ooooze love for the subject.

Any idea of the price, and how long before an early 'A?

• Like 1

Do you know why Spencer says that about all new Tamiya kits? (if he does, can you provide any evidence for that or is it just perceived wisdom?). . . Because he's right. 

This is simply the best 1/48th scale kit I have EVER built. Period. End of story. No doubt. It. Is. Astounding. To have executed a shape so complex with such simplicity and precision leaves me speechless. It makes their F-16 seem a bit "meh". 

And as I'm building it for Tamiya/the importer, perhaps my objectivity should be questioned? 

Spencer is dead on the money. 

On 14/09/2016 at 18:38, Mentalguru said:

Interestingly, there was a post by Spencer Pollard, on the Tamiya Mag Fb today, saying  "If you've watched the video, you will know how impressed I was initially with this kit - now that it's finished, those feelings are only amplified. This kit is simply the best 1:48 kit I have ever built."

He says that about all new Tamiya kits.   This AMK one however, appears to simple ooooze love for the subject.

Any idea of the price, and how long before an early 'A?

Excuse me?! What?! So I say that about every new Tamiya kit, eh? Yeah, well if I have, that's because the ones that I build - and I only every include aircraft within those plaudits, never armour - is because each one is often the best at that time. I levelled that at the 1:32 Spitfire and Corsair, so you tell me, which 1:32 kits currently available are better engineered, detailed, have better fit, features and packaging? I'll wait. That's why they are the best. I actually stated earlier this year that the Eduard Me109G was the best 1:48 kit I had ever built (which I even repeat in my video if you were paying attention) until the Tomcat arrived. Now that the Tomcat is here, that's the best. Simple. As. That. But I have never once said that a 1:48 Tamiya aircraft kit is the best I have ever built - and If I am wrong and I have said that, please show me. In fact, I can't remember the last one I built...

I just don't get this idea that just because I do this for a living, my opinion cannot be trusted. I even showed the parts of this kit in sub-assemblies, painted and weathered to prove how good the kit was - and then after they were all brought perfectly together. Was that not enough? Did you not believe me that this kit was perfect. Do you think I Photoshopped the images somehow? And now you have Drewe saying the same thing, but still his opinion matters more than mine (which actually I'm okay with...). How many more times do I have to say this before you start to understand: if it was a poor kit I would say so; if AMK's is all-singing, all dancing, I will say so. So I will repeat this once more: at the moment, today, having built the Tamiya Tomcat, it is the best 1:48 aircraft kit I have ever put together. Period.

And as for one company having love for a product and another, not, do me a favour. The sheer number of clever design ideas, detail and overall feel of the Tamiya F-14 proves that they went for it with this one. I have no doubt that AMK are doing the same, but just because one has a more public approach to development than the other (Tamiya has never involved outside influence to dictate design, or direction and never will...) doesn't mean that they love their kit less. And frankly that's so preposterous an idea, it makes my head hurt.

Jeez...

Spence

On 9/14/2016 at 18:38, Mentalguru said:

When was the last time he said this about a new Tamiya kit? If you're going to put words into his mouth, at least substantiate it.

Examples please.

23 minutes ago, bluebottle said:

I think someone should kill this thread.... it's suddenly got VERYl........:2guns:

No, they shouldn't. If people want to make allegations they can't substantiate, then that's an open discussion. The whole ethos of this place is to be more open and able to stand dissent. But I'd suggest people might have liked to have made such allegations on a thread that isn't about ANOTHER KIT ANYWAY.

Like Spencer - I cannot wait to get my hands on the AMK kit. I am certain, given their track record, it will be a stellar model. It will also be a very different package to the other ones, and therein lies the fun doesn't it?  But killing a thread to save hurt feelings? No, sorry, that's what LESSER places do.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Spencer Pollard said:

Excuse me?! What?! So I say that about every new Tamiya kit, eh? Yeah, well if I have, that's because the ones that I build - and I only every include aircraft within those plaudits, never armour - is because each one is often the best at that time. I levelled that at the 1:32 Spitfire and Corsair, so you tell me, which 1:32 kits currently available are better engineered, detailed, have better fit, features and packaging? I'll wait. That's why they are the best. I actually stated earlier this year that the Eduard Me109G was the best 1:48 kit I had ever built (which I even repeat in my video if you were paying attention) until the Tomcat arrived. Now that the Tomcat is here, that's the best. Simple. As. That. But I have never once said that a 1:48 Tamiya aircraft kit is the best I have ever built - and If I am wrong and I have said that, please show me. In fact, I can't remember the last one I built...

I just don't get this idea that just because I do this for a living, my opinion cannot be trusted. I even showed the parts of this kit in sub-assemblies, painted and weathered to prove how good the kit was - and then after they were all brought perfectly together. Was that not enough? Did you not believe me that this kit was perfect. Do you think I Photoshopped the images somehow? And now you have Drewe saying the same thing, but still his opinion matters more than mine (which actually I'm okay with...). How many more times do I have to say this before you start to understand: if it was a poor kit I would say so; if AMK's is all-singing, all dancing, I will say so. So I will repeat this once more: at the moment, today, having built the Tamiya Tomcat, it is the best 1:48 aircraft kit I have ever put together. Period.

And as for one company having love for a product and another, not, do me a favour. The sheer number of clever design ideas, detail and overall feel of the Tamiya F-14 proves that they went for it with this one. I have no doubt that AMK are doing the same, but just because one has a more public approach to development than the other (Tamiya has never involved outside influence to dictate design, or direction and never will...) doesn't mean that they love their kit less. And frankly that's so preposterous an idea, it makes my head hurt.

Jeez...

Spence

WHHHHHHOOOOAAAAAAAA

Hey Spencer- WTF?     

Believe me when I say I am one of your biggest fans.   I just logged in and found this reply.   I am at a loss to understand how and why you reacted the way you did. I don't recall saying what you said was wrong, or inaccurate, just that as I stated, you do say that a lot about new Tamiya kits!    AND  so do I- so whats the problem here exactly?   

If you took implied sarcasm from my post, then you need to lighten up a bit, and I need to learn to write a bit betterer.

Take care, and carry on doing your stuff

Signed- one of your biggest fans   :)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Drewe Manton said:

Do you know why Spencer says that about all new Tamiya kits? (if he does, can you provide any evidence for that or is it just perceived wisdom?). . . Because he's right. 

This is simply the best 1/48th scale kit I have EVER built. Period. End of story. No doubt. It. Is. Astounding. To have executed a shape so complex with such simplicity and precision leaves me speechless. It makes their F-16 seem a bit "meh". 

And as I'm building it for Tamiya/the importer, perhaps my objectivity should be questioned? 

Spencer is dead on the money. 

Drewe- probably best to read my response to Spencer.   I hate it when stuff like this happens.    

All the best, Rich

22 minutes ago, Mentalguru said:

so whats the problem here exactly?  

With the best will in the world and with nothing to qualify it, it looks like a slight against Spencer's professional integrity. I agree, you should learn to write betterer, meaning can change a lot in the written word without body language or inflection to back it up. ;)

PB