Che Guava

Decalswap

While reading through some old IPMS magazines (80s-90s) that RWG686 passed on to me in an attempt to prevent his loft becoming his basement, I noticed an article by the editor about decal swapping. He offered to have people send him their unused decals and list them to be made available to other members who might be able to use them.

My initial reaction was "what a maroon!" I could see that sort of thing would be a huge admin commitment for very little gain either for the Society of the editor personally.

However, having recently been put in touch by RWG' with two fellow-BXMers who were looking for decals he knew I had and had no intention of using, I was happy to send them on. So two happy modellers!

This made me think that this could be a useful type of service for BXM to offer. It could work like this....

1. Lets say someone needs a set of Airfix BN Defender military decals (Philipines?). I see the request, don't need them, contact the member, get an address and post them off.

2. Let's say I am looking for a set of Airfix Whitley decals, (which I am!) but only the BOAC civie set that comes with the Coastal Command version - I'll bet many of those are sitting unused by RAF enthusiasts. Most kits these days have at least two subject decals, so one is always spare. A different member has exactly that, sends me a message, gets my address and posts them to me.

3. Absolutely no money changes hands. The sender pays the postage cost, on the principal that what goes around comes around - there will be a time later when the sender wants a particular decal and it will be posted to them at no cost to the recipient in an all-member reciprocal arrangement. Eventually everyone is happy to get someone else's spare decals.

How does that sound to admins and members?

• Like 2

I like the idea of a separate area in the forum.

There used to be a decal bank (possibly IPMS) but it had one guy running it so this way of working looks far better.

I wonder though about costs.

I send stuff around the community  and never usually bother with postage but as I have thousands and thousands of spare transfers ( I dislike the word decal) it could end up costing me a lot of money. 

How about a system of a stamped addressed envelope being sent to the person who has the decals.

Another thought.

Could we list what we have going spare?

Might encourage more participation if people see what's around.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I like the idea of a separate area in the forum.

There used to be a decal bank (possibly IPMS) but it had one guy running it so this way of working looks far better.

I wonder though about costs.

I send stuff around the community  and never usually bother with postage but as I have thousands and thousands of spare transfers ( I dislike the word decal) it could end up costing me a lot of money. 

How about a system of a stamped addressed envelope being sent to the person who has the decals.

Another thought.

Could we list what we have going spare?

Might encourage more participation if people see what's around.

Postage cost entirely up to the buyer/seller. I don't see this as a 'bank' though, just a 'wanted/offers area. UK post should be ok (2nd class stamp), overseas by arrangement. But remember, you're just as likely to get something you want posted to you as you are paying to post something off. How about an informal 'if you put a 'wanted' in you should reciprocate with an offer. For instance, I wouldn't have thought to offer the Lysander and Islander decals if RWG hadn't sent a request on behalf of two other members.
I don't think massive list of decals is a good idea, it would be better if this was driven by 'requests' rather than offers.  I'd make an exception with aftermarket decals where there are several schemes, but you only buy them for one or two. Best to supply what someone is actively looking for if you have it , rather than "Oooo...there's roundels for the Tuvalu Nuclear Strike Force Cessna 172 - that might come in handy sometime." kind of thing. Might be interesting to detail what your plan is, and then post a pic of the finished project with decals installed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Great idea lets get it going I can set up a separate area if you like 

Thanks! Separate area would be a good idea. I'll post a real example of something I'm looking for for a project ready to start, plus some really good aftermarket decals I used two of the schemes from, but there are several more I won't use but I'm sure somebody would rather than paying a tenner for!

I really like Che Guava's idea.

Unfortunately it wont work for me, on this side of the world, because our postal system is just arse! ( still waiting over 2 months for something from Germany :) ) 

I will however happily join in if I have something someone wants, but it may take a while to get there. I do have quite a stash of Armour and Car & Bike decals 

• Like 2

I'm happy to pitch in as well. As I try to avoid using the nasty little things I've got a reasonable number of 1/48 hairyplane decals.

I've just had a thought (god it was hell). I've got all my stash and completed builds on Scalemates. This is the full list of completed kits:

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=20442&p=completed

For the first few years I did use decals, but obviously some kits have more than one scheme. As I always keep unused decals, if you're looking for some 1/48 decals have a look and see if there is anything you need. I may not have what you need, as some kits either didn't have decals or they were useless, but feel free to ask.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

And here's my Scalemates stash profile. It should be fairly accurate but there might be some items that I have forgotten about or do not exist any more.

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=13517&p=stash

That takes you to your stash Duncan and bloody hell 1068!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours is definitely bigger than mine!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Yours is definitely bigger than mine!

says the man who gives me grief for googling 'Whopper' :fish:

Is that not Duncan's shop though?

• Haha 2

Give me a couple of days as I have to set up the helicopter group build so I'll set  up a section for the decal bank 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RWG686 said:

says the man who gives me grief for googling 'Whopper' :fish:

Is that not Duncan's shop though?

No that’s just the part of the stash I am admitting to ;)

Duncan B

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gorby said:

I've just had a thought

Isn't that a bit dangerous, probably best not to have another one for a while.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Isn't that a bit dangerous, probably best not to have another one for a while.

It isn't likely. I think it's a 'once in a generation' type thing.

• Haha 2

DECAL OFFER:

Okay, here's one to start off, and it kinda exemplifies the quandry we're all in. I bought this Xtradecal set for the two Scottish Tiger Moth schemes - but I will never use the rest. Seems a waste. Anyone interested?

Rule 1:  First Come, First Served
Rule 2:  If someone else wants part of the sheet that the first person doesn't need, I'll split the sheet - with the approval of the FC,FS person.
Rule 3:  I agree to post UK only (I will consider dashed foreigners only after I check the cost, and if they ask nicely)

(We'll maybe have a pinned post at the start of the area with rules once we know what they are - a good general principal might be if you ask for something you should offer something too.
Personally, being a cheapskate, I think money changing hands should be avoided like the Corovid-19)

Here's the Tiger instruction sheet to show which are left to be donated.

e2c86c6e-6899-42df-a2ef-74a8111e0a87.jpg

342eadcb-1b63-4350-84f3-c5b52573b550.jpg

And here's the ones I've used from the sheet, all others are intact.....

912c5254-b7a0-43b9-adff-996147998e4d.jpg

0d239deb-c5e5-47ab-8042-8498dcad1768.jpg

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 1

DECAL REQUEST:

So here's what I'm looking for. As mentioned earlier, I seek not one but TWO sets of the BOAC decals from the Airfix Coastal Command AW Whitley for a projeCt already underway NOT connected to Whitleys.

Any help would be appreciated, and reciprocated to other members when the need arises.

Incidently - I have a spare set of the Coastal Command Whiltley decals WITHOUT the BOAC ones, which I've used.

Edited by Che Guava

On 3/1/2020 at 9:23 PM, Grunhertz said:

Give me a couple of days as I have to set up the helicopter group build so I'll set  up a section for the decal bank 

Take all the time you need! I've made a wee start with the two comments above. When you are ready, I can repost on any new section you set up, or if you can just move them, that's fine too. Whatever.

• Thanks 1

Decal/information request:

It's a long shot but I'm looking for either spare/leftover decals from someone's Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII F kit or the Wingnut Wings Decal set 30010 Fighting Fokkers Part 5 (or spares/leftovers thereof). Another option is spare/leftovers from the Lifelike Decals sets 32-016, 32-018 or 32-019.

Basically I'm looking for 1/32 Decals for a Fokker D.VIIF as I have a WnW Fokker D.VIIF Hermann Göring boxing that I want to build as something less controversial. If anyone knows of other brands of decals that fit the bill then please let me know so I can have a go at tracking them down.

Cheers

Duncan B 

Edited by BlackMike Models