RWG686

Sea Devon C20.

Blame @skwonk..well not really but a comment of his made my mind up so I plan do do this :

3e983a91-76d8-4d6a-9ab6-728f59973361.jpg

This is XJ322 but I may do XK895.

I'll be using this:

5eb3bba5-59a2-4eb7-93f1-a5f2732f03f6.jpg

Fair amount of thick flash had to be removed from the fuselage,nearly 2mm in places.

One of my gripes is that despite the high price (£27.99) for what is a small kit there is no cabin interior and even with the supplied glazing it will look empty.

A rear bulkhead was made as well as a floor. This has the wing spar across it and two conduits against the wall.

Some plastic card did the trick

Central roof panel with impression of lights also from card.

365472a3-bbaa-4204-864c-ad8f7bb4196e.jpg

Interior almost complete.

482f3029-c302-438a-b446-39ca568de74f.jpg

The instructions would have you insert the nosewheel before sticking the fuselage halfs together. I decided that I would pin it and put it in afterwards.

The seats came from a scrapped Heron which I found in a box in a charity shop. I added head restraints to make them a bit taller. They looked ok when I test fitted so will leave it at that.

Wing lower part had a large sink mark (and a huge sticky up bit on the inside) so filler added.

Engines are in 4 pieces and just needed a wee bit of filler.

d2667d43-c0c2-42f7-8774-d3f012f4ccad.jpg

That's it for tonight.

• Like 5

Way back (mumble) years ago I hemmed and hawed and eventually failed to get the Rareplanes Vac kit. I think that it may have been a trifle easier than this one...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

the Rareplanes Vac kit.

I never had that kit but I did have a vac fuselage from Airmodel (?) I had the wings from the charity shop Heron.

Being the kind soul that I am, I gave both to @Che Guava He did a really nice Dove in CAFU markings some years ago.He'll be along in a minute to say which kit or conversion he used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessie_C said:

Way back (mumble) years ago I hemmed and hawed and eventually failed to get the Rareplanes Vac kit. I think that it may have been a trifle easier than this one...

I was fortunate enough to get a Rareplanes vac form overseas, in a charity shop (so good when kits appear in charity shops 😊), for the equivalent of around £2.50.

It looks good and does have an interior. However, even though I love vac forms, when Amodel released this I bought it.

Maybe a bit ott given lack of display space, but I wanted to build one of them with the green trim style (admiral’s barge?) scheme, and one NZ.

The Vac form has an interior, but Richard has put a nice interior together so quickly here; that it looks hard to figure out which is best; Rareplanes or Amodel. 🤔 

Watching with a lot of interest. 👍

A 🥶 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Being the kind soul that I am, I gave both to @Che Guava He did a really nice Dove in CAFU markings some years ago.He'll be along in a minute to say which kit or conversion he used.

What I did was.......excavated an old unfinished conversion (It was documented on the 'shelf of shame' section in the other place) from the Airfix Heron, following an Alan W Hall Airfix Magazine article from the (I think) late 60s.
It was meant to be a repair+ spruce up + livery change. Ohhhh dear no! It became "more, much more than this" as Frank Sinatra might have said. Sod Mr Hall, I had to do it 'my way.' For a start, I'm pretty sure the 'steamed Mr Hall didn't mention the 4" lower cabin roof of the Dove, or the asymetric tailplane, both of which I discovered after my rebuild was well underway! So...nothing for it but to temporarily make the Dove into a convertible.
Simultaneously, someone else was building a Magna resin Dove which seemed as much trouble as my conversion.

Of course, Sod's Law, the Amodel kit came out about one third into my epic waste of time build. And yes, I have not one but two Airmodel vac-fuselages and a bunch of Heron bits n pieces!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Another model? Will you never learn ?

No

2 hours ago, DC3 said:

I thought the idea was you were supposed to learn from your mistakes?

and no!

This one is going nowhwere near a heater 😁

The only problem that causes is that I had to abandon work last night as it got too cold.

A problematic area may be the strange design of the wing to fuselage join of which more to come.

Biggest issue will be the markings. Kit blue stripe is far too light so I will probably paint it. As to 'RNAS Lossiemouth'n the fin. 30 individual letters at scale 4 inches..nae bother!!

3 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

the asymetric tailplane,

Ah!  Had forgotten about that. Will need to check if they have incorporated this in the kit..

Which tailplane was the shorter one and by how much?

8 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

While we're on the Lossie specials.

Piper Aztec ,G-ATLC, was the most regular visitor. Operated for Scottish Malt Distillers and also used Mundole airstrip.

Nothing based and generally not a lot of civvy movements,probably because the base was so busy.

As a master diversion airfield we got Dalcross diversions (usually BEA Viscounts) Also civvy Brittanias  (Donaldson) for trooping flights. Rarest was probably a Cessna 336. I'll have its reg logged if you need it.

Some day I'll need to do 'TLC as she might as well have been based. Surprised she was never zapped with 'LM'

6 hours ago, Che Guava said:

Aileron stays the same,

I know what you mean but for the benefit of others the hoeizontal tailplane stays the same but the port elevator tip is squared off. This from the DH Museum site:

The asymmetric elevators (port tip cut off 14 inches short) were adopted to avoid a buffeting problem. 

Surgery needed on the kit as both tailplanes are the same.

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

Stealing your laurel 😊

I'm behind schedule on the Seahawk. It's been ready for priming for two days but having to do paperwork/e-mails etc for new job has slowed me down a bit.

• Sad 1

A photo to show what all of the hot air above was about.

35f4aa9b-3603-4fa6-9ebe-23732db04dcf.jpg

Here's what I've done. Using the scale rule that has been gathering dust for years, I measured out what 14 inches looked like. Tested that against the kit part and to get it exact meant cutting away too much so here's my compromise. (scribble is 4.5 mm)

aa596fa9-d48b-4b88-8513-f34071c64217.jpg

Very obvious isn't it.

That's the kit instrument panel with supplied transfer applied. Looks fine .

I mentioned problematic wing joins earlier with the kit having part of the upper wing fairing moulded on the lower wing.

d20ad1fb-f20f-4838-9b4a-3c71995a33b5.jpg

202a9462-4b01-4989-8f61-63ff7835487b.jpg

and dry fitted

f898eb40-8142-45e3-ac95-fa2558f303b3.jpg

63cd8f45-14e6-4241-9845-c4621d94d94a.jpg

Remeber that problematic join?

Forget it,I've seen worse.

@Grunhertz and @DC3 take note that I did learn something from the winglet saga. :thumbup:

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, skwonk said:

This one looks nice. I was on watch that day as well.

Sure is.

I did notice that it wasn't a Sea Devon but a Sea Heron..good try though 😁

I hope Amodel do a Heron as the Airfix one is long by its sell by date.

Anyone know a source for gold lettering?

1252837-large.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

Sure is.

It was a subtle hint at a diversion to a possible next build. Have I planted a seed?🤔

2 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Sure is.

I hope Amodel do a Heron as the Airfix one is long by its sell by date.

Anyone know a source for gold lettering?

1252837-large.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letraset-Transfer-Numbers-Letters-RDC0153/dp/B005WIYFTM

being a Brand name like Royal Mail it may have its own font

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

That diorama will be brilliant if the amodel curse shows up 

Except I'm building a Sea Devon not a Sea Heron ( Yet :whistle:)