Blue Noser

My Fabulous Fantom

3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

They came from the States painted in a colour that was specified by the customer and procured locally I believe but they all would have gone through Majors and been repainted in the UK at some point in their FAA careers.

That's because the paint couldn't handle the extra awesomeness of the mighty Phantom compared to all those other asthmatic types you mentioned :2guns: 

Duncan B

what you mean the slowest phantom? 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, RWG686 said:

What happens when you spey a dog?

It gets fatter and slows down :whistle:

Actually our Phantoms might not have been the fastest but they were the quickest. They could out accelerate the J79 Tooms at most altitudes, had better fuel efficiency in many envelopes and didn’t leave a 35 mile long black streak across the sky pointing to them either.

Duncan B

ps and they melted the hell out of the USN Carrier decks too :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Might have been the slowest Phantoms but there were no Scimitars, Sea Vixens or Buccs that could match their awesomeness :)

Duncan B

3 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

RAF AND FAA : 1386 MPH

USN etc :           1470 MPH.

1 hour ago, BlackMike Models said:

no Scimitars, Sea Vixens or Buccs that could match their awesomeness

Even I can't argue with you there. Magnificent machine all in.    A Scimitar taking off was a sight to behold (and hear!) and a Buccaneer in its natural element would soon cause the Phantom to run out of fuel. Not a fair comparison though as they were designed for different roles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

They came from the States painted in a colour that was specified by the customer and procured locally I believe but they all would have gone through Majors and been repainted in the UK at some point in their FAA careers.

That's because the paint couldn't handle the extra awesomeness of the mighty Phantom compared to all those other asthmatic types you mentioned :2guns: 

Duncan B

Yes,I though so,duff DuPont paints.

But after majors and repainted with good old "Trimite" or some simlar British stuff(other brands of British paints are available as they say)did they fade as badly?

My point exactly your Lairdship,the worlds,biggest,most powerful but slowest Phantom.

Wasn't the '4J UK quicker on inferior Yankee engines(i.e less poke) on account of being slimmer and a bit lighter?

Edited by Miggers

Good day all again!

Just a quick update as I am on lunch at work ………. I will read all the bickering later :laugh:

So its been a couple of days since an update and I have been plodding on quite constructively. My first area to look at was the nose where I had that seam to repair. I installed the front canopy to protect my IP cover and then set about repair by rubbing down and applying a fill of PPP which I worked into the area to make sure it was filled and then rubbed it down, I then fitted the rest of the canopy parts, the two that will be open have just been tacked closed into place so that I didn't have to mask off the cockpit. This was the canopy after I masked it up, I then gave it a coat of matt black so the inside of the canopy would be black

20200128_194029

Once fitted I masked up the repair area and canopy to prevent too much overspray, I used panel lines as much as possible so that if there is a slight mismatch of colour it wouldn't be so noticeable.

20200201_160218

Here is the result

20200202_193243

You can see a slight difference but with a few gloss then matt coats it will be less noticeable. So that's just a quick update, I have also done the exhaust area but will post that later as I am in work and lunch is now over! :analintruder:

So until next time,

Laters all!

Bob

Edited by Blue Noser
  • Like 6

fitted with the GE J79-10B. This produced less power than the British engine, but had a faster afterburner light up, giving it better performance at high altitude, at the expense of slightly poorer acceleration at low level. The high-altitude performance was helped by the reduced drag from its smaller air intakes.

The speed issue isn't really an issue at all as they would very rarely be flown to their limits.

There is an argument I suppose that we should have just bought the F-4J from the start but that would have been a political disaster. They would have been delivered earlier but would have cost the country more dollars than we could spare. British jobs had to be kept even though we were buying an American product (Sound familiar?)

The whole F-4K and F-4M story takes up a couple of books.

Suffice to say that both services got a great aircraft

• Like 2

I remember the folklore that the Americans were full of admiration of the Spey, but did exclaim that only the British could take 2 engines like the Spey, put them in an aircraft like the Buccanneer and still make it Subsonic! But yes we owe the awesomeness of the Spey Phantom to good old politics, well over half the airframe was redesigned to take into account of the Speys, it wasn't a quick and easy cut and shut!

Bob

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

fitted with the GE J79-10B. This produced less power than the British engine, but had a faster afterburner light up, 

Depends which of the Speys you are talking about I think. The Spey (202 IIRC?)  in the FG.1 had a quick reaction reheat which the 203 didn't have (I note Wiki states that the Fg.1 and the FGR.2 both used the 201 but that is incorrect as they both had slightly different versions and a 204 appeared at some point much later).

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue Noser said:

I remember the folklore that the Americans were full of admiration of the Spey, but did exclaim that only the British could take 2 engines like the Spey, put them in an aircraft like the Buccanneer and still make it Subsonic! But yes we owe the awesomeness of the Spey Phantom to good old politics, well over half the airframe was redesigned to take into account of the Speys, it wasn't a quick and easy cut and shut!

Bob

Think they said something similar about the Scimitar:

"Only the British would build an aircraft with so much power to go subsonic"

• Like 4

Good evening one and all!

First off this evening I have a question to throw amongst the knowledgeful brethren out there, I want to load my Phantom up but alas Fujimi only provide missiles, so I have set about preparing them, they don't need much just a little rub down on the seams and a touch of filler on a couple of ejector pin marks …….. I did fancy rocket pods but they don't come with this version.

2020-02-04_12-17-52

Now I have seen these in both white and a light grey and not sure which to go for, my thoughts are that back in the 70's these would have been white but if they weren't what type of grey would they be? If anyone can cast some light on that, it would be very much appreciated.

Now on with the build, or more precisely painting. The stand out area for me on all phantoms is the exhaust area, It has a silvery area and also a gun metal coloured area and I have seen these done wonderfully, I would be happy if I just got them nice! So first thing to do is to mask the back end up to protect any overspray.

20200130_194127

I don't have a great array of metallic colours so I am making do, first up was a couple of thin coats of Vallejo Dull Aluminium. The description of this paint is slightly incorrect as in the past I haven't seen anything brighter! But that may have been me laying it on too thick, In the phots below it is very much brighter than appears but I do intend to matt it down when I come to the final few stages.

20200131_182458

20200131_182530

So once that was done it was time for the next layer. Another problem (certainly with Vallejo metals) is that laying Tamiya (or any) tape over them tend to tarnish the area so to prevent this I gave a thin coat of gloss to protect it. Then I masked it up and came out with some Vallejo exhaust manifold, which is a nice light gun metal type colour. Now after I sprayed I forgot to take a picture of it in progress so youll have to take my word for it, it came out sweet! :whistle:😁. So then I wanted to add something different, later it will be given a good dusting of 'black soot' to give it the run look, but I also wanted to try an experiment on 'bluing'. Using a bit more masking just to keep the effect to the inner curved area I used some heavily thinned Vallejo metallic blue and gave a couple of very light passes, this time I remembered an in process shot.

20200201_153857

I wanted to protect the arrester hook and just target that specific area, on the other side I applied it slightly differently.

With the cans I started off with the outside in aluminium, masked off a ring and applied the exhaust colour, then gave a light coat of blue to the outside, When all stripped off it looks like this, nice and bright!

20200201_154249

With no flash, you can also make out the piping in the main wheel bays in this pic

20200201_154806

And with a blinding flash right up the rear! Although you cant see any bluing!

20200201_154728

While doing this, I painted the tail planes and as I masked I noticed a problem ...

20200130_194325

I had forgotten to prime the upper sides, DOH! And then while cleaning the top side I messed up the white finish on the under side so I though blow it and stripped it all back and started afresh. Spraying the metallic and glossing between masking followed by the EDSG and white, the final outcome …...

20200202_193139

Sorted! So that's where I am at now. I reckon I still have a good few days before the decals arrive so I will do the gloss coats. Now I don't have much luck with these, Ive tried Model Master Acryl and the gloss is only barely a gloss but still allows silvering on cheapy decals. I tried Vallejo and the gloss dried as matt, I tried Mig Ammo Lucky ……. but I guess im just not that lucky and no matter how hard I try it comes out flat unless I lay it on thick and good..... then the kit is ruined. I did get a suggestion to try Micro Gloss (I only want to use acrylics). I had an old bottle (from last century no less!) which sprayed ok but was contaminated with bits of gunk, so I have invested in a new bottle and will see how that turns out. Hopefully well, but this time I will hit it with several coats and THIN coats at that and then just walk away WITHOUT drowning it!

But until then

Laters all!

Bob

• Like 4

Greetings all!

Just a very quick update today, so I checked my mail box last night and I found a small brown package from Lowestoft, England! So with delight I unwrapped it and amongst the goodies were these two blighters!

20200210_200443

Very nice indeed but I've been caught a little off guard and Im not quite ready for them, I've given the 'Toom a couple of coats of Microscale gloss but it doesn't seem to be spraying very well. I first did a test run on a slow burning Sea Venom which went really well but this run has been patchy. The first coat didn't spray very well at all, after a strip down and clean (of my airbrush I hasten to add!) the second coat went better but still not great. I am going to thin it down a bit next time and maybe turn down the pressure as well to see if that makes a difference. Elsewhere the missiles have had a coat of white gloss and just need masking up for the coloured bands. Here she is after 2 coats:

20200210_200621

Looks ok at this angle but still too matt and patchy for my liking. Next headache ……….. which scheme to choose, theres 'undreds of 'em! 😆

Laters

Bob

• Like 4

Ok, Ok Omega it will be then, if I ever get round to it!

I was hoping that this update would be a good one but alas it is full of ……….

😠 AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Not just once but twice!

First I tried again with the gloss coat, this is just not working and is being a right old pain in the butt! I persevered with one final thinned out coat but the result was disappointing, I think I should be able to get away with it once I finish off with a matt/semi gloss final coat. I just don't seem to be able to find a decent acrylic gloss coat, how hard can it be!

Second AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! is a bit bigger. I sat down this afternoon to start on the decaling, the first sheet is just the main aircraft specific decals and is beautifully detailed and the decals look great. The second set is the stencils, all 156 of them! I paid a nice whack for them so am determined to use them all even if it takes the rest of the year and kills me! I decided to start on the underside and put down the roundel and serials, great start!

Then..…...

Have a look at decal number 6 on the diagram, points to a yellow square in the main landing gear door, simples

20200212_144251

Now look at decal number six on the decal sheet (next to the cut out)

20200212_144307

#6 is a lifting sign, it should be #13 I think, now look at 28 in the middle of the picture below and find it in the picture above, lastly 48 below doesn't correspond with 48 above. In fact pick any number below and see if it relates to above! It doesn't!

20200212_144316

I checked the diagram for the upper and it seems to correspond well enough, so ill just see if I can complete the upper surface and see what is left over. I know model making is meant to be a challenge but at least give me half a chance! I did check to see if it was something simple like a missing digit ie #10 should be #110, but no. Off to send an email to Mr Hannant now and sign it Mr Grumpy of Nova Scotia!

Laters!

Bob

• Sad 1

So I bit the bullet and started on the decalling, I had started on the underside with the intent of completing the whole area before moving to the upperside when I discovered my gripe above so I got the major decals done. I put down a lot of Micro sol especially on the serials to bed them down over the hinge. I did get a large bubble under the upper "T" and in trying to bed that down I squidged it a bit so I may have to return to that later.

20200212_175905

I then turned my attention to the upperside, after an hour of eye straining I managed to get all those stencils down. Wing complete! I am now putting aside for a good day or two before hitting the other wing. Like I said earlier I will complete the upperside and then see what we have remaining for the underside.

20200212_175847

So again that is where we are at now, still feeling like this build is steaming bit!

Laters all!

Bob

• Like 1