RWG686

Merlin helicopter

New window panel in place and has since been faired in with model putty

c16ed8d9-862a-4712-a068-6b9a001ff79f.jpg

This lot got knocked or were taken out when I was buggering about with carefully re-engineering the fuselage to take the new panel

89f07665-0799-471d-9c96-7d3673c6c3aa.jpg

Fortunately with those big doors I won't need to brush up on my keyhole surgery.

• Like 5

On 1/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, RWG686 said:

Money saved there gets recycled into kits and books.

I know you are referring to what other people do 'cos that's not you is it, 'cos you have a stash reduction programme.

• Haha 2

The framing in the centre of the side cockpit windows in the kit is far too thick. I cut out the frame and started making new windows to which I would added a painted decal strip later.

None of that went to plan so rather than faff about trying to get windows to fit the frame I just made oversized windows. Covered in tape here to prevent scratches. The canopy there is a spare as the other one has detail added that I didn't want to break off with my hamfisted fettling.

21d3f917-a3ee-4220-b7a2-665f461a39ce.jpg

This group build should be renamed  RCBAFI judging by how slow we are all going.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I suddenly realised that I'd better get a move on so a quick light sanding and masking ready for a spray of medium grey.

Yes I did say spray. I have been practising using an airbrush and flush with the success of the paint on the Sea Devon off I went.

Well..airbrush indeed as all that came out was air. Dismantled the damn thing to find that a little lever which pushed a spring back was broken. Apart from practice I've used the damn thing once..  Cheap purchase from Aldi some time back so guess I'm going to have to buy something decent. Hope the fittings are universal as the compressser is a good wee thing.

Plan B..back to brush for first coat.

a6c85469-91f6-4f16-be11-e64009135b46.jpg

This served to show up all of the areas I hadn't finished properly.

Tomorrow..out with the fine sanding stuff.

• Like 4

I'm plodding on with this and have got the base coat for the grey on. The white base for the red areas too.

Hopefully photos tomorrow (due to technical fault with photo host, I can't upload)

I'm not enjoying this but will carry on even though I will miss the deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

I'm plodding on with this

Must...not...make reference to ....police   DOH!
and I was trying soooo hard  :innocent:

• Haha 2

I listened to the ghosts  (see my carpet monster or ghosts thread in modelling chat) and masked it ready to spray the red. 

I intended to use a Tamiya rattle can but it died after I did a test skoosh.

Then we had a power cut.

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A week went by before I could get a new rattle can and finally on Saturday evening I sprayed the red.

Sunday produced an unmitigating disaster.

I used         bog standard masking tape as I was covering such a large area. I have no idea if it was because it was on for so long or if it reacted with the Tamiya paint, or both but even after 24 hours I was still left with a soggy mass.

Peeling it off left me with this

6e8524e8-f144-4591-b446-a208b5d20fe5.jpg

It wasn't going to be finished within the group timescale..well certainly not now as I've put it back in the box.

It is not beyond salvage thankfully and I will sort it out.

Remember folk..using bog standard masking tape is a false economy.

• Sad 4

OMG! Interesting the masking tape was so bad. It has just leaked everywhere.

As you say, always worth having the right tool for the job.

Thanks for sharing the lesson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Christ, that looks like it's been self harming. 

Maybe plasters and bandages instead of masking tape is the way forward?

Such a pity, Richard.
I know you shall overcome the beggar one fine day!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Since the paint is coming off another three models,I thought that a fourth wouldn't go amiss.

Stay tuned for the continuing horror story.

• Haha 1

I gave serious consideration to scrapping this and using the internals on a new kit.

When the canopy and instrument coaming came off with the oven cleaner, I almost binned the lot.

I have done much work on the fuselage and the thought of doing it all again changed my mind.

This kit was done around the same time as the yellow Buccaneer disaster so again I was faced with removing a combination of brush painted enamel and acrylic along with Tamiya rattle can red.

I spent nearly an hour with fine grade emery paper going over the whole thing and when re-polishing the port side windows I discovered that the oven cleaner had seriously affected the glue so out they came.

By sloppy techniques and false economy (cheap masking tape!) earlier I have probably created three times as much work as I needed to.

f77b59df-d2a4-4577-974c-3934e52bd82c.jpg

c63f4299-0fee-41ab-83d7-5966bbc26b1f.jpg

bee746c2-17b3-4ad2-bc82-726a75f4d38c.jpg

This build will continue but at a very slow pace.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Do you OWN Mr Muscle oven cleaner manufacturers your Lairdiness?:blink:

I bet Mrs Lairdiness is like "I bought some new Mr Muscle oven cleaner last week,where the feck has that gone?"¬¬

Someone sitting quietly in the living room>>>>:whistle::whistle:

• Haha 3