Sign in to follow this  
dixieflyer

My Only Completion, So far . . . .

OK, Miggers told me to post pics, so this is the only thing I've completed so far, and sadly it was quite some time back. (I've got five others either on the shelf of doom because I modeled myself in to a corner from which I couldn't extricate myself, of real life killed my mojo.)

So, Here's the write up by way of the World War One Modeling page. 
"My version of Werner Voss' Fokker F.I by way of the Eduard 1/72nd Fokker F.I Profipack with the resin correction set from Rosemont. This is the first kit I have built since 1975, as well as my first time using an airbrush, resin, photo-etch, acrylic paints, re-positioning control surfaces, and rigging an OT subject. Whew, I bit off a big chunk to do all at once! Whatever you see here that is a positive is the result of all the help and patience of the members of the WWI Modeling list. All of the faults you see are mine.

The finish is MisterKit Fokker Turquoise with the streaky finish accomplished with a Cretacolor watercolor pencil. The correction set consists of a new resin top wing, cowling, and tail plane to correct those included in the kit as they are for the Dr.I

I wanted to accomplish two things with this build: 1) Have fun, and 2) Re-visit some old, and learn some new modeling skills. I was able to accomplish both.

fokker-f-I-quarter-view.jpg

fokker-f-I-rear-view.jpg

fokker-f-I-side-view.jpg

fokker-f-I-front-view.jpg

I swear, those Spandaus were straight when I glued them and left the room, and I've no idea why the top wing warped, resin I suppose.

Warren

• Like 7

Nice Warren,that streaky finish looks just right.

Didn't Revell do Werner  Voss's DR.1 in 1/72nd eon's ago?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words Miggers, I'll do much better on the next Tripe, and if I redo the F.I I've thought of improvements.  To be honest, I was kind of proud of the prop, and I've thought of ways to improve that. 
The Revell boxing of their DR.I in the 60's/early 70's featured Voss' Fokker F.I (not Dr.I) on the box art, which really captured me back then.* However, it was just their regular Tripe kit with Voss decals. 

REV-H652-colon-70-2.jpg?v-cache=15766960

*(There's no way on earth a Fokker F.I ever encountered a DH-2 in August or September 1917, which is when Voss was given the F.I to test. However, that box art!  Man, did that ever do a number on me, and started me on a life-long passion for WWI aviation.)

Warren

Edited by dixieflyer

There are three WWI builds in the stream, two of which are shelf of doom, one of which I think I can salvage, and one WWII batch build:

- Eduard Nieuport 17/23: I've got a batch build going on two of these, maybe three.

- MAC SPAD VII C.1: I sanded both the wings down to get the trailing edge thin enough. Sadly, and unknown to me, the plastic is quite brittle. I dropped the top wing, it landed trailing edge first on the floor, and that beautiful, scalloped trailing edge shattered. I don't think that one is recoverable. Oh well, he remains will serve as a hangar queen for another, future SPAD VII build. Lesson learned.

- Flashback Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter 1A2: I buggered the top, center stringer when I glued the fuselage together. I attempted to repair it by gluing in some stretched sprue, but it didn't turn out. Perhaps recoverable.

- Tamiya A6M2 Model 21 & A6M3 Model 32 Type Zeroes: These are part of a Tainan Kokutai batch build. Since the Tainan Kokutai removed all radio equipment, etc . I've got to rebuild the interior sidewalls, and other spots where that equipment went to show its absence. I got burned out on it last winter, and just walked away. I'm feeling refreshed now, so I think I'll tackle these first, and then the Noops. 

That's where I'm at. 

Warren

• Like 2

And then there were none . . . . 

Remember how I was getting a display cabinet? Well, we got it last weekend. Yesterday, I was getting the smudges off of the glass, etc. I placed my only completed build inside to act as bait to attract other build completions. noticed some lint left over from cleaning, went to move it to another shelf so I could clean the offending lint up, and she took a dive out of my fingers. I kept that little a/c safe for 15 years in a small display box. No yellowing of the finish, decals, etc., and this happens. She's in several pieces now, and I don't know if it's rebuildable. It really ruined my day, and my mojo went flying away. 🤬🤬😡😡😭😭

• Sad 4

On 12/01/2020 at 16:20, dixieflyer said:

I don't know if it's rebuildable.

That's not the attitude I expect for the the country that gave us the phrase:

4bf.png

Have you decided if you're going to stick it back together?

• Haha 4

On 12/01/2020 at 16:20, dixieflyer said:

I don't know if it's rebuildable.

Of course it is!

Jack up fuselage and remove wings.

Remove undercarriage

Place new undercarriage and fit new fuselage.

Fit new wings to fuselage

Add the prop which you saved..simple :yes:

I;m sorry to hear that sad news but given its history you have to fix it.