Mad Steve

A CHI HA RESTORATION

Afternoon Everyone :) 

A bit more nostalgia

This is the oldest built kit that I have, I'm not exactly sure of the year it was built into being, but it would have been around 94 or 95 

Its kind of been the ultimate lurker for all those years, hiding in cupboards, boxes, desks for all that time. 

It was the start of my interest in Japanese Armour, and it was painted in the wrong colour's, so I decided time its time to get it on the bench and actually finish it. Better late than never hey, it is Christmas after all :) 

20191224_143716.thumb.jpg.f0ddbf7d9f7a14151014a1ebb9514ab0.jpg

I gave it a bath, cleaned all the muck off and blew some Tamiya primer on it. It Was originally painted in Humbrol colours and they were quite nice and thin, so I just layed the primer right over them. 

The original kit was a bagged it, and the picture for the camo was a bit naff, so I downloaded a better one. 

1344874958_chihatype97.png.51510215ec23ebad64220e7cdb358dd2.png

I don't know what it is about Japanese armour, but they are not easy to paint, or should I say rather, not easy to paint and not make a pigs ear of them :) 

I'm going to follow the Airfix colour scheme, but there aren't direct matches for Humbrol 76, 86 & 94, so I will need to play around with colours for a bit before starting. 

Time to get a wiggle on then :) 

:santa: Mad Steve :santa: 

• Like 4

Hello Mad,

seasons greetings. Type 'WW2 Japanese armour colours' into the googlamatic & be surprised by the deluge of relevant information about to descend upon you. Hope this helps.

You know, I am such a knob sometimes..... :) 

Looking for the colours on the Chi-Ha and not really finding the Tamiya equivalents for the Humbrol colours....

I had even considered tomorrow, popping to the hobby shop and buying Humbrol paints (heaven forbid :)

So I'm sitting here at my desk, having a think, and a coffee, when I suddenly get that silly feeling and a rather sheepish grin on my face.....

And I reach over into the stash cupboard and take out my Tamiya 1/35th Type 97 Chi-Ha and have a look in that, what colour's to use :blush:... Yeah I know, Dumbass.... 

So, here they are :) 

20191226_154206.thumb.jpg.61c033d338b5b48c257436bc6e449f93.jpg

Right then, Ill put the dunces cap away and might even get some painting done :) 

• Like 2

Right then, here we go 😁

First order of business; japanese tanks had yellow stripes included in the camo, and the way they are finished can make or break the finish in my opinion, so they will be laid down first.

Tamiya lemon yellow squirted on...

20191227_152746.thumb.jpg.cfe8819f5174ed29ac0e5862b594e9a1.jpg

Then when that dried, tamiya bendy tape used to mask out the stripes

20191227_161520.thumb.jpg.991f014ee2a0268ab576029487c49790.jpg

Handling the model proved to be a bit of a problem... I forgot this kit was built 20+ years ago and seems whatever glue i was using back then wasnt as gluey as i thought 😁

20191227_161441.thumb.jpg.d28cddc2567fd524fbbae3d3b410c4ef.jpg

In total, three suspension units and a bit of the turret aerial need reglueing. Im not faffing around with the suspension... ive started drilling into the hull, and the bogie, and i will use a metal pin to glue them back on. Another fun fact, so bleedin hot and humid here the bendy tape is just not staying stuck 😕

Anyhoo, some painting will be done tomorrow after a trip to the model shop and mother in laws (200k's away🙄)

Pip pip

Mad Steve 

Oh, btw, any advice on glueing those horrible rubber band tracks? I recall i used to staple them together, but the Type 97's whole side is open so difficult to hide. Any good tips? 

• Like 2

Evening everyone 😁

Well.... after a second round of destroying the suspension ive decided to retire this build back to the shelf, maybe just for a little longer. 😁

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/28/2019 at 6:25 PM, Mad Steve said:

Evening everyone 😁

Well.... after a second round of destroying the suspension ive decided to retire this build back to the shelf, maybe just for a little longer. 😁

I've tried to renovate some of my old Airfix & Fujimi kits & I struggled because it seems the plastic has become extremely brittle & loads of stuff just breaks off, bummer.

200 klicks is about the minimum distance desireable between ones self & the mother in law, 500 or above being optimal.

• Haha 1