Gorby

Robey Road Steamer - A steamy saga of masochism and scratching, THE SORDID CLIMAX!

And now for something completely different….

Let me introduce you to what may, or may not be a Robey Road Steamer. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself. It's 1/48 and completely scratch-built (other than the driver who was originally a WWII tropical pilot).

A 'Road Steamer' is a class of vehicle that I wasn't previously aware of. They were a development of the very early Traction Engines - pretty much, the first trucks. This one is loosely based on the original Robey Steamer which first trundled the British roads in 1870. Its main innovation was the solid rubber blocks on the wheels which meant it didn't damage road surfaces and gave it much more traction than other competing steamers, allowing it to pull up to 30 tons.

I'll start by lining up my pathetic excuses. Get ready….

This may not be the most historically accurate model in the history of the universe, I scoured t'internet and only found about a dozen or so pictures of the vehicle in question, and ALL of them are different. We aren't talking minor differences, they all show major variations. Part of the reason for the differences is probably because this is long before mass production. Each of these vehicles was individually made, possibly for a specific job. Their working life may have been measured in decades, so they could possibly have been altered at some point. Another possible reason for some of the variation could be due to artistic licence, as most of the reference pics are engravings.

I believe this is the first model ever attempted of it – I wonder why?

as a result, I'm going to have to bill this one as 'In the flavour of….'. The alternative would be to suggest that this is entirely accurate to the last detail – but only in the reality that I alone inhabit (Gorbyopolis – where the sky isn't so high, the rabbits smell of purple and not a lot makes sense – but quite nice really (if you ignore the marauding swarms of brackets)). So if you see something and think "That doesn't look like the original picture", you'll have to accept that I've seen that element in a different picture. Honest – would I lie to you? (under no circumstances should you attempt to answer that with any degree of honesty!)

Anyway, enough excuses, if you've manage to get this far without falling asleep – well done!

The original engraving that started the trouble (Don't forget, I'm not going for a straight copy of the original engraving. For example, the steering wheel size has been taken from three other illustrations):

682240-20442-82.jpg

682231-20442-59.jpg

No teddy bears were harmed in the making of the steam (sorry, that's a lie).

682232-20442-11.jpg

682233-20442-70.jpg

682234-20442-39.jpg     682235-20442-56.jpg

682236-20442-96.jpg

682237-20442-15.jpg

Coal shovel, or as I like to call it “the fuel injection system”.

682238-20442-27.jpg

Plenty of bone-mangling action. Elf and safely wasn't really a thing in 1870.

682239-20442-97.jpg

Thanks for having a look, if you've any interest in the build report (warning: there is weirdness):

• Like 7

Thanks for comments, likes etc. mates. I really enjoyed this build when I eventually got into the swing of it and I'm wondering what's next. I had got something lined up but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it now.

As the youngsters of this confusing world would say, “Just for shits and giggles” (although I've no idea why the yoof would say something like that due to me being an old scrote) I've photified Robey with my last build. As they sit at opposite ends of the spectrum they look somewhat incongruous together.

IMG_0927.JPG

I also thought I'd give you an idea of it's size (I'm not saying what scale the hand is in though).

IMG_0933.JPG

• Like 5

Can’t imagine anyone looking at that without a smile on their face, an absolute joy to view and very well photographed to boot.

Unique, and so is the model 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toolmaker said:

Can’t imagine anyone looking at that without a smile on their face, an absolute joy to view

Thanks very much Paul – it makes me smile whenever I look at as well. Which leads me to wonder what the hell I tackle next. I was going to have a go at a scratching a simple hairyplane, but I particularly enjoyed doing the fiddly bits on the steamer. After doing the blitz build I may have a go at another kit while I find something else to scratch.

1 hour ago, Toolmaker said:

very well photographed to boot.

I really struggled to get reasonable photos of the steamer. It was a bit of a pain getting used to to settings on my new camera and the macro doesn't seem to be as good as well. It's the first Canon I've owned, and it will probably be the last.

• Like 1

My home computer didn't want to display the pictures, so I had to wait until I got to work to look at the finished product. I'm quite certain that Robey & Co. would have been quite happy to employ you in their publicity department. Or maybe in the prototyping...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

I'm quite certain that Robey & Co. would have been quite happy to employ you in their publicity department. Or maybe in the prototyping...

I'll send my CV back in time this instant! :thumbsup:

Although I could wait several weeks and send it back to the same point in time, makes no difference really.

Maybe I have already send it back and was rejected for the post 150 years ago. :sad:

They didn't even let me know. The bastards! :X:

• Haha 1

Sublime Mark,just Sublime.

I think you should send photos of it it to the Robey trust.

As said above, it is unique  and in my opinion your best yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RWG686 said:

As said above, it is unique  and in my opinion your best yet.

Thanks Richard, I'm quite pleased how it turned out. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I think you should send photos of it it to the Robey trust.

Those bods know what they're doing, so would probably laugh their socks off at the ludicrous inaccuracies.

8 hours ago, Walrus said:

Very well done Mark.  
Looks wonderful.  

Thanks Paul. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Walrus said:

I want one! 

Then it's just as well I've provided step by step instructions. :smile:

Haven't you started yet. :wink:

• Like 1

I can't start it until Friday, Mark

It's my Weekend build
I've been collecting toilet roll holders, cornflakes boxes and bought some sticky backed plastic 

There's going to be trouble if I don't win a Blue Peter Badge 
(It might not happen at all if Shep doesn't stop humping my leg.  Makes it so hard to concentrate)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Toolmaker said:

its just a thought ?

Even with my extensive Gogglifying I didn't see that one. I'm off to dive into t'internet for a few hours. :smile: 

• Haha 1

Mark, too lazy to grab the photo etc, but if you go three quarters down the linked page there are some photo’s of a Whippet tank being recovered by a “Robey” steam truck. The coincidence was too much not to mention. Looks like Robey is in our lives now.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/gb/British_medium_Mark-A_whippet.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

qatehxI.jpg

The number of times I searched for Whippet tanks when building my kit and I never found that page 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

Mark, too lazy to grab the photo etc, but if you go three quarters down the linked page there are some photo’s of a Whippet tank being recovered by a “Robey” steam truck. The coincidence was too much not to mention. Looks like Robey is in our lives now.

2 hours ago, Walrus said:

The number of times I searched for Whippet tanks when building my kit and I never found that page 

That's fantastic. In fact I'm toying with the possibility of a steam truck as a future scratch-build. The steam trucks I've seen so far have quite complicated wheels, but the wheels on this one look much more doable. I'll see if I can find more info about it.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1