RWG686

Painting tank tracks.

May I seek your advice please?

I'm venturing way out of my comfort zone and having a go at building a 1/35 Merkava and a 1/72 male tank from WW I.

How do you folk get the tracks to look so realistic?

It’s all a bit subjective really. My advice would be to look at the ww1 builds in the gallery, find the one that suits you the closest and then ask the builder how they achieved said finish. I think most modellers are generally shy but once targeted as somebody’s favourite would be only too happy to give up their secrets 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

all depends on the kind of tracks....some are all metal and go rusty.....some have rubber blocks fitted which need to be black.......look at lots of pics of your subject

MiG do a track wash which works quite well

the warrior im doing has all black tracks so just matt blacked them....but cos its in the desert i made a slurry wash with MiG sand pigment, then brushed it off after it dried so its just in the nooks and crannies, then matt varnished to seal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worth remembering @RWG686 with your Merkava and @beowulf with your Warrior, both in a desert(ish) environment, sand is an abrasive, it'll strip paint better than old fashioned 'Nitromor'! Plus, with the +50 degree day time temperature and 0- nights, metal tracks will show fresh rust every morning if they've been 'at rest' overnight. Worth remembering as well, 'rubber' blocks don't survive well in a desert / rock environment, refitted when they go in for maintenence. Dad played 'sand castles' '41 - '43 and a neighbours lad was eight years in REME, in Iraq.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I obviously read the op with one eye closed. Looking at WW1 builds in the gallery isn’t really going to help with the Merkava, but your a smart chap, you get my general drift 😂

• Like 1

Rusty tracks:

Painting 'rubber':

If you're not familiar with Night Shift all the videos he's put up are worth checking out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

If you're not familiar with Night Shift all the videos he's put up are worth checking out.

Definitely recommended, i'm even a patreon supporter - Used that track technique on the KT i'm currently building

Edited by Peter Marshall
  • Like 1