Muttley

Double Tornado F.3 ADV

Today, with a headache I set about the wings. I started some preassembly paint masking. And also the flaps, before realising it won't be seen! (wombat) first cockup of the day... 

LZx9dTe.jpg

Next up, cut off the flap mechanism and put the closed flaps together. 
o0WwX8o.jpg

However, do check the parts you cut off for the flap extension as the kit has 2 versions. Folded away and extended, dont spend an age trying fo get the extended part to fit as closed, and wonder why you're failing. It doesn't fit!  

7iuWYCb.jpg

And finally, that's 1 wing complete... 
CHNJCyT.jpg

2nd wing went together much better. But I am tempted to break out the wings in the 3rd and set them as flaps dropped just to see how it looks. 
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

I started some preassembly paint masking. And also the flaps, before realising it won't be seen!

BYKIT  But you know it's there! lol

Good work Muttley

• Like 1

Coming along nicely, I may even have to get me one of these.  Thank you for the inspiration.

On 24/11/2019 at 13:37, Walrus said:

Good luck with the intake seams.   Puts me off building jets xD

No problem: a bit of De-Luxe "Perfect Plastic Putty", quick swipe with a cotton bud, and it's usually good enough.   And unless it's going to enter competitions, who gives the intake interior more than a cursory glance?  But if those seams really are a problem, just think "intake covers" :).   https://www.tornadosig.com/uploads/4/2/0/0/4200523/2413008_orig.jpg

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1

OK, getting a bit fed up with the extra wook needed on airframe 1. Not sure of its me or the kit though

Firstbit of real bad fitting I've had with the wing gloves.

BsXJg9i.jpg

This was filled in with plastic putty, and looks mich better now. I'm wondering if the wings aren't sitting level. 

Next was the swing mechanism cover, the locating disc was removed, and the joining arm was thinned. So, now it fits

BKSd57s.jpg

2gxks7l.jpg

Horrid joining from me

Finally today, the fuselage behind the cockpit, this needed removal of the locating lugs, and a trim of part of the intake structure and it now fits. 

DiVPbOn.jpg

That's it today, I have reached apathy today, and that's not good. Beer and movie time

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cheers Darren, Just surprising as so far it's been a great build, and this is the first Extra work that hasn't been down to me cocking up

Edited by Muttley

Finally given the liver some breathing space and managed a bit of bench time.

Filling and tarting up some wings ready for assemblage tomorrow. No pixs today, hopefully a bit of progress to show tomorrow. Then, christmas 48hr build, and back to Tonkas

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Finally given the liver some breathing space

Must get claustrophobic crammed in with all the other squishy internal parts....

oh... I see what you mean. 

• Haha 2

I have to say the buildup to crimbo and the stop/start/stop of getting bench time had all but killed the mojo. So I was glad to do the 48 hour Blitzbuild, it somehow has got the motivational juices going again.

I think sometimes we need a break from the intense builds and go back and enjoy benchtime, so I'm glad I don't get too many commissions (though I have been reminded of the 1/32 F15E I was asked to do). Onwards into the new year, and continuing with stash reduction builds.

• Like 4

I'm back!

That break over christmas has helped the ol mojo on this pair of F3s

Some airflow vanes added thanks to a build thread on another forum, doesn't do much, but once you know, then you can't not add them (well, I can't) 
sLdSHKr.jpg

Quick fill because of some glove gappage, that's user error not kit issue
SfqyWWw.jpg

Needed a shim due to a small fit issue with the thrust reverser housing and a gap. 
yaUv8ZT.jpg

After a half day back at the bench, I'm exhausted... 😉
Makes me laugh that all the work that goes into the detail, and then gets covered up. 

PBumf4K.jpg

This is how they look tonight, doesn't look a lot done, but keeping 2 on the go and at the same place is triksy. It's very easy to just plough on with just the one. 
qrBpXaz.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Muttley said:

keeping 2 on the go and at the same place is triksy. It's very easy to just plough on with just the one. 

I found that out in my Buccaneer build and decided to do just that. It saved me from losing interest and the second one got finished shortly thereafter.

(Don't ask about the third one)

Your F3s are coming on nicely.

• Thanks 1

Todays few hours were working on the 2nd set of exhausts (sorry, no pics) 

Then onto the mighty tail itself. I do find a day doing sub assemblies can be as productive as a day on the main build itself. 

Masking out the heat exchanger shroud

t7OzNQf.jpg

Black undercoat

VJFjyDg.jpg

Then, some titanium. I thought it should be closer to a dull aluminium, but looking at the book, it coukd easily be titanium, and as that's what I've got.. 

And of course, a dry fit. The Might Fin taking another step forward. 

3h6LRW3.jpg

Slow for me, but I hate having to redo work. 

Hoping I get some bench time in the week, all depends on work. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I found that out in my Buccaneer build and decided to do just that. It saved me from losing interest and the second one got finished shortly thereafter.

(Don't ask about the third one)

Your F3s are coming on nicely.

There are fimes when doing 2 lots of sub assemblies makes sense, then you can crack on with 1, then doing the other will be quicker 

Started today tring to bring #2 upto the position #1 is (yes, I spent the day on Number twos)

Trying to get the bodywork to fit was a right pain, lots of fettling then when it di fit, fill in the gaps! 

0BWh8TT.jpg

I then had a work on part of the exhausts. I sprayed Vallejo Aluminium, then lightly covered with AK Titanium, which will then be dulled down for a used look
XVaLou4.jpg

Next Up, airbrakes, and oh frell. So, for all four airbrakes I needed to add a shim of sheet. Is this the worst of the infamous fit issues? Anyway, spent what felt like hours on this, but in reality was probably, just an hour. 2 layers of sheet seems to have done the job. 
FTz7p9I.jpg
YvTawma.jpg

Then, finally, I had time before the start of the Bathurst 12 hours to do a bit of work on the tails themselves. And I found that for #2 I had not cut out the slot for the vanes. So had to line up the first tail and drill through. Success! and Only dry fitted for now, and only 1 ready for re-priming, the other will get done Sunday, but until the undercarriage is ready, I'll not be attaching as this makes laying it on its back a lot easier. 
dIJyLBN.jpg

Thats it, Sunday will be to bring tail 2 upto position and then start on the undercarriage and ordinance, hopefully some pain free construction.
Edited by Muttley
  • Like 3

I have one in the stash but the dreadful fit of the Hasegawa 1/72 Tornado put me off these things for life! It must be something to do with the shape of the Tornado that makes the parts breakdown the way they are.

Anyhow I think you are doing a great job and this is actually inspiring me to get the Revell kit out and have a bash.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 02/02/2020 at 10:12, BlackMike Models said:

I have one in the stash but the dreadful fit of the Hasegawa 1/72 Tornado put me off these things for life! It must be something to do with the shape of the Tornado that makes the parts breakdown the way they are.

Anyhow I think you are doing a great job and this is actually inspiring me to get the Revell kit out and have a bash.

Duncan B

Thank you Duncan.

Go for it, the F3 is going together rather well, (well apart from the airbrakes 🤣) and I apart from a couple of print errors with parts the wrong side, it's a fab kit and I'd recommend it (I have the Eduard upgrade ready to do aswell)

• Like 1

LJkaAuo.jpg

Well, today started OK. Undercarriage time. Should get both done, yeah, right 2 mains done thanks to Ciara. 

Started by removing the main and keeping on a tree fir ease of handling. Then, after some white paint, I stared to add some plumbing, 0.2mm wire. And thanks for a friend who works at Duxford, I got a nice close up of a GR4 leg

DcPGXXp.jpg

ImeeJ7D.jpg

That was it, then the next bit, the brake hydrologics. Problem was, it just didnt want to stick. Eventually I drilled a small hole, and the wire stayed in place. 
JYJBpbI.jpg

nByenRq.jpg

fBNsLU9.jpg

In 4 hours I only managed 2 legs. So, hopefully I can speed that up for the other set, and still the nose legs to do. 

• Like 2